Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining activity to avoid CLD

tag
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Maintaining activity to avoid CLD

I have a Best Buy store card with a limit upwards of $8,000 through regular requests for CLI's.  However, I haven't used the card in several months and can't think of anything I need/want from BB at this time.  I'm concerned that they are going to do a CLD or close the acct. entirely for non-usage.

What if I bought something . . . . say a $2,000 laptop, charge it (of course).  Never even open the box and return it within the 14 days allowed for returns (before the statement cuts).

Would this show as activity on the card sufficient to avoid a CLD and/or closure?

Your thoughts please.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Maintaining activity to avoid CLD

Do they charge a restocking fee? Why do you have to buy something so expensive....why not just get a few cheap items that you might want/need like DVD's, printer cartridges, etc.
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

They also sell books there, have coolers with softdrinks, etc. You could also order a giftcard to give to the next person you need a gift for.
Message 3 of 26
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Do they charge a restocking fee? Why do you have to buy something so expensive....why not just get a few cheap items that you might want/need like DVD's, printer cartridges, etc.

Because I don't NEED DVD's, printer cartridges, etc.  And I big on not wasting money.

And no, they don't charge a restocking fee if returned within 14 days.

Message Edited by Itsmeagain on 07-08-2009 07:43 PM

Message 4 of 26
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
They also sell books there, have coolers with softdrinks, etc. You could also order a giftcard to give to the next person you need a gift for.

(sigh) . . . . I don't NEED coolers or soft drinks, etc.  And when I give a gift it's almost always cash.  I'm 63 yrs. old.  I don't need much of anything.  I just want to maintain my credit for when I DO need something.

But, thanks for the suggestions.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so spending $2000 on a computer you don't need is a better idea....i see :-)
Message 6 of 26
marty56
Super Contributor

I have been charging small amounts 2 - 4% of the CL with no ill effects.  I dont know if that has help the situation but I still think PIF'ing is the best defense against CLD.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 26
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Use is the best defense against closure. I don't really think there is a defense against CLD. If they are probing their records and you don't measure up you are gonna get cut. If BB gets it in their mind that unless you meet a certain profile you are undeserving you will get reduced. That being said an $8K CL might be high on their minds. The good news is that store cards are usually much slower to reduce CL's or close accounts that a CC is. The bad news is we are talking HSBC. HSBC always likes to see use.

If you decide to make that large purchase and return it, be smart. Make sure the charge and the return show up in different billing cycles. Smiley Wink Also, don't hassle the salesperson too much. I don't know if BB salespeople are on commission (Circuit City's were not), but if your guy is he will be charged back when you return the item.

Message 8 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Itsmeagain wrote:

I have a Best Buy store card with a limit upwards of $8,000 through regular requests for CLI's.  However, I haven't used the card in several months and can't think of anything I need/want from BB at this time.  I'm concerned that they are going to do a CLD or close the acct. entirely for non-usage.

What if I bought something . . . . say a $2,000 laptop, charge it (of course).  Never even open the box and return it within the 14 days allowed for returns (before the statement cuts).

Would this show as activity on the card sufficient to avoid a CLD and/or closure?

Your thoughts please.

It would probably show as activity on the account in terms of FICO regarding it a dormant account.

But I'm reasonably certain that HSBC would see that charge and then the credit for you returning the laptop and think, Uh-huh. I don't know that this would work for what you're hoping.

My sympathies --I now have a $4K BB store card, and it takes the assistance of massive amounts of chemicals and whatnot to make me go face their parking lot and their supremely unhelpful staff. Luckily, I like music, and I'm one of the 37 people left alive who still buy CD's rather than download, so I go buy a CD every now and then. But they don't carry the music I like, so this won't work for long.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 26
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

One of the worst days of the last year had to be the day my local Circuit City store closed leaving me stuck with BB. The last BB store I was in that I liked was in WI - and that was 10+ years ago. Down here in S. Florida they are just dreck!

That being said one of the reasons CC went BK had to be that their floor people were not on incentive. Since they took away the salesperson's incentive payments the path for CC was straight down. You can get $10/hr if you are knowledgable and work hard -or- you can get $10/hr and be a do-nothing dweeb. Not quite good business I think!

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.