Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining credit

tag
J14K
Valued Member

Maintaining credit

There's a very good chance that I will be moving overseas in a couple of months.

The dilemma I am in is that I have no idea how permanent this move will be.

And, how do I go about maintaining the cards I have here as to keep them open, in case I ever do move back to the States?

I really don't want to give up the AMEX/CHASE/DISCOVER cards I have currently and to start afresh if I do return.

Starting Score: 650
Current Score: 708 EX, 660 EQ, 692 TU
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

- -Gardening since 6/21/13 - -
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: Maintaining credit

Those are some pretty big lenders, do they have a version of the card you could still actively use over there?

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 2 of 5
parakleet
Valued Contributor

All of those lenders operate internationally - you can still use your cards wherever you are, provided that it's outfitted with the appropriate chip&pin hardware. Be mindful of FTFs as well. Just make sure you have online billing for everything - call the banks and see if you can use your overseas address and if not, use a close friend/family member's address (with their permission of course). You can always get a PO Box while you're gone if you have no other options for a domestic address.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 3 of 5
J14K
Valued Member

@parakleet wrote:

All of those lenders operate internationally - you can still use your cards wherever you are, provided that it's outfitted with the appropriate chip&pin hardware. Be mindful of FTFs as well. Just make sure you have online billing for everything - call the banks and see if you can use your overseas address and if not, use a close friend/family member's address (with their permission of course). You can always get a PO Box while you're gone if you have no other options for a domestic address.

I still have family here so I could go with that route.

I'm just worried about shifting towards my new address instead of the one I have here. It may possibly raise flags.

Starting Score: 650
Current Score: 708 EX, 660 EQ, 692 TU
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

- -Gardening since 6/21/13 - -
Message 4 of 5
navyox
Regular Contributor

I think a small  recurring subscription or online purchase once a year will keep most cards active, you can do every 6 months just to be safe.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.