Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major BOA account hack--freaking out!

tag
severine
Contributor

Major BOA account hack--freaking out!

My husband and I have totally separate CC lives (lucky for him, he's got an 800+ score...heh). He's had a Working Assets BoA Signature Visa forever, it's his only card. I only got him today to agree to let me register the card online (normally he pays his bill via snail mail), and while in the process of registering for the Bankamericard Rewards points, I noticed that another email "Hisname@aol" had been linked to his rewards account already and there was a bank linked as well. I alerted him to this right away and he called BoA, who asked if he's transfered points back in December (NO), they then informed him that someone had transfered $500 worth of points to a GE account, that his account would be closed and he would be issued a new card. They also indicated that they would investigate this ASAP. I read his statement line by line every month and there has never been an unauthorized charge on there at all, so it appears the fraud has only occured wrt the Rewards points. Have you heard of this type of scam/fraud? Do you think we'll get those points back? I am relieved that we shut this operation down but obviously concerned about other potential incidents...

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Major BOA account hack--freaking out!

@severine wrote:

My husband and I have totally separate CC lives (lucky for him, he's got an 800+ score...heh). He's had a Working Assets BoA Signature Visa forever, it's his only card. I only got him today to agree to let me register the card online (normally he pays his bill via snail mail), and while in the process of registering for the Bankamericard Rewards points, I noticed that another email "Hisname@aol" had been linked to his rewards account already and there was a bank linked as well. I alerted him to this right away and he called BoA, who asked if he's transfered points back in December (NO), they then informed him that someone had transfered $500 worth of points to a GE account, that his account would be closed and he would be issued a new card. They also indicated that they would investigate this ASAP. I read his statement line by line every month and there has never been an unauthorized charge on there at all, so it appears the fraud has only occured wrt the Rewards points. Have you heard of this type of scam/fraud? Do you think we'll get those points back? I am relieved that we shut this operation down but obviously concerned about other potential incidents...

I actually had a resident at my community where I work at come in and need help forwarding a fraud email from someone posing as BOA about their credit card. Apparently there is something going on that they know about.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.