Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making decisions..

tag
omgtain
Established Member

Making decisions..

Hi all!

I am new to credit cards and the like, and I need help on making a decision..

I am 19 and have a part time job and don't really make that much.. I usually pay off my cards in full each month.. but..

My dog has to go to the vets on Tuesday to have a tumor removed and biopsied.  They gave me an estimate of $500.. Now that is a months worth of paychecks for me, and  my savings account isn't that cushioned. I have $500 right now, $200 in my savings and $300 to pay off my card.  

So I have a few options.. pay the $500 upfront, and not  be able to pay my card off in full.. Or use my Carecredit card and get 6 months no financing.. I know, it should be a no brainer to do the 6 months no financing, but I haven't spent money that I don't have yet.. So it feels dirty. I don't want to get into bad habits. would the 6 months no financing be appropriate in this situation ? Smiley Sad Thank you

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Making decisions..

@omgtain wrote:

Hi all!

I am 19 and have a part time job and don't really make that much.. I usually pay off my cards in full each month.. but..

My dog has to go to the vets on Tuesday to have a tumor removed and biopsied.  They gave me an estimate of $500.. Now that is a months worth of paychecks for me, and  my savings account isn't that cushioned. I have $500 right now, $200 in my savings and $300 to pay off my card.  

So I have a few options.. pay the $500 upfront, and not  be able to pay my card off in full.. Or use my Carecredit card and get 6 months no financing.. I know, it should be a no brainer to do the 6 months no financing, but I haven't spent money that I don't have yet.. So it feels dirty. I don't want to get into bad habits. would the 6 months no financing be appropriate in this situation ? Smiley Sad Thank you

i would go with carecredit...don't feel bad for not being able to pay it off right after since it sounds like an emergency for you pal Smiley Happy as long as you can decipline yourself in paying if off within that time frame then it'll be ok...so save you pal Smiley Happy well wishes Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

CareCredit. If you use the money meant for your credit card you start paying interest.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 8
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

WOW I just had the same situation happen to me last month. Our new puppy had "parvo" and had to stay at the hospital for a few days...Thank Goodness for CreditCare....the 6 months interest free really helped me out. It is the difference between cleaning out your cash flow now or paying what $100 a month and have it paid off in 5 months not to bad, the hit to my CS was minimal BUT YMMV, and in my case the "hit" to my CS was nothing compared to the health of our puppy!!  Hope you pet gets well soon!!!

Message 4 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:

i would go with carecredit...don't feel bad for not being able to pay it off right after since it sounds like an emergency for you pal Smiley Happy as long as you can decipline yourself in paying if off within that time frame then it'll be ok...so save you pal Smiley Happy well wishes Smiley Happy

Yes, the "don't spend money you don't have" advice has exceptions.  For example, many people get a mortgage to buy a house etc, and the other exception is for emergencies, and medical stuff like this certainly counts!   It's great you have carecredit, so use it without worry.  For peace of mind, you can try to reduce any optional spending to make sure that you can pay it off at the end of the allowed period.

Message 5 of 8
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Like everyone else, I say use your CareCredit. As long as you have a plan to pay off what you put on your card (and it sounds like you do), I don't see an issue.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 6 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@djc1puno wrote:

Yes, the "don't spend money you don't have" advice has exceptions.  For example, many people get a mortgage to buy a house etc, and the other exception is for emergencies, and medical stuff like this certainly counts!   It's great you have carecredit, so use it without worry.  For peace of mind, you can try to reduce any optional spending to make sure that you can pay it off at the end of the allowed period.

+1

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@omgtain wrote:

Hi all!

I read this earlier and was on my way out so couldn't respond.

The Fico family has already given you the correct route to go but I had other reasons to post.

For a young person managing and seeking advice on your credit is to be applauded.

Whereas some may not be as responsible as you.

So I tip my hat to you and say always ask questions which I see you'll do and always watch your credit and you'll be off to a healthy financial future.

BRAVO....WTG.....CONGRATS 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.