Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making friend an AU

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Making friend an AU

I'm trying to help a friend build up her credit report and was toying with the idea of putting her as an AU on one of my cards. I could get an extra 5k points and help her out at the same time, however I do have some questions. 

1. What is the value of adding some as an AU when they already have a decent card? For example, my friend has a freedom card with just under a 5k limit. In a few months her original cap 1 card will turn a year old. Does adding soimeone as an AU to a two year old card with high credit limit help someone in this situation?

2. Since I think the next card I would recommend to her is the CSP (she has four accounts in past year- two of which are store) then I am hesitant to put her as an AU on one of my cards thereby pushign the number of her accounts to 5 and forcing a call to recon), although I would like for her to build history with a credit line that is 5k+. Thoughts?

3. If someone is an AU and then you remove them does all that AU history get erased from their credit report? 

My feeling at this point is that other than getting the extra points for myself this would not really do much to build my friends credit report at this stage. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Making friend an AU

Unless you two have the same address the card won't even report to her CRs. Chase doesn't ask for an SSN.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

I'm trying to help a friend build up her credit report and was toying with the idea of putting her as an AU on one of my cards. I could get an extra 5k points and help her out at the same time, however I do have some questions. 

1. What is the value of adding some as an AU when they already have a decent card? For example, my friend has a freedom card with just under a 5k limit. In a few months her original cap 1 card will turn a year old. Does adding soimeone as an AU to a two year old card with high credit limit help someone in this situation?

2. Since I think the next card I would recommend to her is the CSP (she has four accounts in past year- two of which are store) then I am hesitant to put her as an AU on one of my cards thereby pushign the number of her accounts to 5 and forcing a call to recon), although I would like for her to build history with a credit line that is 5k+. Thoughts?

3. If someone is an AU and then you remove them does all that AU history get erased from their credit report? 

My feeling at this point is that other than getting the extra points for myself this would not really do much to build my friends credit report at this stage. 

if she is able to get a freedom card, i would highly disagree adding her as an AU.  sign up on either myfico or CCT to see here scores and app another prime card

Message 3 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Unless you two have the same address the card won't even report to her CRs. Chase doesn't ask for an SSN.

Hmm in that case maybe I will just add her. Have her make a charge. Collect the bonus and then cancel the AU card. 

;
Message 4 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

if she is able to get a freedom card, i would highly disagree adding her as an AU.  sign up on either myfico or CCT to see here scores and app another prime card

No, apping another card would be a mistake at this point because she just got the freedom card and a CSP would likely be a denial with under a year of revolver history showing. Adding another credit card from different lender while possible will pretty much kill any chance at getting the CSP due to too many accounts in past two years. 

;
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:

Eh, I'm pretty sure that's not the case..  Banks don't need SSNs to track people down to be able to report on their credit reports.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

No, apping another card would be a mistake at this point because she just got the freedom card and a CSP would likely be a denial with under a year of revolver history showing. Adding another credit card from different lender while possible will pretty much kill any chance at getting the CSP due to too many accounts in past two years. 

it sound more like you want to help yourself get the bonus miles than help her.  like i said, she doesn't need help if she can get a freedom card. 

Message 7 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

it sound more like you want to help yourself get the bonus miles than help her.  like i said, she doesn't need help if she can get a freedom card. 

Umm ok. That is exactly why I came and asked the question here about how i could help or hurt her profile instead of just adding her as an AU to get my points, becuase its all about me. 

;
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Hmm in that case maybe I will just add her. Have her make a charge. Collect the bonus and then cancel the AU card. 

Please don't assume that it won't report.  It probably will.

You can still do what you want but it may require her filing a dispute to have the card removed from her credit reports after you remove her as an AU.  Not hard to do.

Message 9 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Please don't assume that it won't report.  It probably will.

You can still do what you want but it may require her filing a dispute to have the card removed from her credit reports after you remove her as an AU.  Not hard to do.

If its going to report and not really be much help, which I suspected initially then I don't see a benefit and will not do it. 

;
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.