Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making my kid an Authorized User on Cap1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Making my kid an Authorized User on Cap1

I did the same thing for my little brother. I added him to my capital one credit card without issuing him a card. I use the card he is just piggybacking without swiping so there is no risk. He however he does have my old closed credit cards in his wallet just to satisfy his ego. What he doesn't know is that they are closed. he hasn't said anything as to "hey your credit cards don't work" which means he hasn't tried them yet and he is starting to build my trust since I told him to only use them for emergency and it gas been six months since. I personally wouldn't issue the card however I do not know your son but I wouldn't risk. I would first add him and not issue him a card. Of course he can call and try to have the card mailed anyways but that situation suggests otherwise
Message 21 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I did the same thing for my little brother. I added him to my capital one credit card without issuing him a card. I use the card he is just piggybacking without swiping so there is no risk. He however he does have my old closed credit cards in his wallet just to satisfy his ego. What he doesn't know is that they are closed. he hasn't said anything as to "hey your credit cards don't work" which means he hasn't tried them yet and he is starting to build my trust since I told him to only use them for emergency and it gas been six months since. I personally wouldn't issue the card however I do not know your son but I wouldn't risk. I would first add him and not issue him a card. Of course he can call and try to have the card mailed anyways but that situation suggests otherwise

I like your idea, but if it were me I would think twice of making your brother think he has a 'valid' card in his wallet. 

It's a little disingenuous to give someone a card to use "for emergencies only" only to have the card come up as 'declined' when an actual emergency happens.  Smiley Surprised

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

What can I say it is all a risk. this entire thread is a conversation having to do with taking a risk and I am just trying to share my way of lowering that risk even if the truth to our loved ones has to be stretched a little. Who knows maybe my little brother tried the card and had it declined and he doesn't want to mention it hmmmmm. Still I am proud of him.
Message 23 of 28
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^My question is what's going to happen when the closed cards he has in his possession expire?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 24 of 28
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I did the same for my younger brother. I didn't issue any cards though. Just in the last two months his scores have strengthened! Wish I had someone to do the same for me. Lol
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to Omargb9 and uncleb I told my brother the truth he wasn't too happy however I explained to him and he got the picture. Because I wish my parents have me a head start with credit. I started with a student loan on my own. I made dumb mistakes and no one taught me about credit utilization and what inquiries are aaoa.

Current fico

EX 662 EQ672 TU 695

Home Depot consumer CL $6000
Wal-Mart Store card CL $5000
Bank Of America Cash Rewards CL $2000
Capital One Quicksilver One MC $2500
Wells Fargo Secured card CL $500(closing account soon)
Message 26 of 28
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Probably not the most pleasant talk, but he was bound to find out sooner or later. You did the right thing. Smiley Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 27 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Probably not the most pleasant talk, but he was bound to find out sooner or later. You did the right thing. Smiley Happy

+1

Now you've 'had the talk' and can move forward... and you don't have to be concerned with him thinking he has a 'safety net' that really isn't there.

He's lucky to have you as a brother.  Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.