cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making purchase in St. Thomas. Should I notify Target?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making purchase in St. Thomas. Should I notify Target?

I may make a large purchase while I'm in St. Thomas.  Should I let Target Visa know that I am traveling?  I don't recall ever using this card outside of my state.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Making purchase in St. Thomas. Should I notify Target?

@Anonymous wrote:

I may make a large purchase while I'm in St. Thomas.  Should I let Target Visa know that I am traveling?  I don't recall ever using this card outside of my state.

I think it's a very good idea to let any CCC know you are going to be traveling out of your normal purchasing area. That way you might avoid an unpleasant denial of credit far from home because the fraud department of the issuer picked up on unusual activity. It's easier to call now and not be embarrassed later.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 5
trdmlc
New Contributor

It would be a good idea.  Most CC companies have a safeguard in place that monitors spending outside of your normal area, especially considering it's international.  You also want to inquire on your chargeback rights since it's a large $$$, as int'l purchases have different rules.

Starting Score LENDER PULLS (02/23/10): 587 (TU) 554 (EQ) 562 (EX)
Current Score LENDER PULLS (07/02/10): 651 (TU) 645 (EQ) 669 (EX)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you're right.  I don't want to be denied in any store, but I certainly don't want to be denied in the particular store I'm purchasing from.

Message 4 of 5
Allen123
Established Member

@trdmlc wrote:

It would be a good idea.  Most CC companies have a safeguard in place that monitors spending outside of your normal area, especially considering it's international.  You also want to inquire on your chargeback rights since it's a large $$$, as int'l purchases have different rules.

St. Thomas is a U.S. territory and the U.S. dollar is the currency there.  As a side note, AT&T even counts usage there as domestic minutes.  The charge will be considered domestic and no other rules apply. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.