cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making room for CLI's. Closed a few down....

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Making room for CLI's. Closed a few down....

So, everyone knows I went on  TU/Synch app spree over a week ago when my TU08 score hit 713. (which its not anymore since they all hit, and the INQ, LOL)  I got all 5 Major cards I applied for with them, LOL..

(Dont lecture me...at least they were major VISA's and MC, and not store cards)...

Anyway...I added up my Synch exposure last night after getting some CLI's on my new cards at activation, and I was very close to max exposure with Synch, so I needed to dump a few quickly so I had some more wiggle room when I get my other 2 cards in the mail.  I will obviously try credit solutions when I get them. 

Closed.....

TJX..$3.5k

Dicks- $3.5k

Sams store- $7k (since I now have the MC)

Amazon- $5k ( I only used the card 3-4 times last year...I never use it). 

Needed to close them last  night so the system could update before I received my other 2 cards, since Im hitting up Credit solutions when I get them in the mail. Now that I just got several major cards, with decent limits, I closing out other store cards as well.  This was  my goal all along. Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Making room for CLI's. Closed a few down....

I have a question if I could? I closed some cards and acquired some new ones last year but Im planning to stay with what Ive got this year. Are you planning to continue closing cards to open new ones this year? And if so what is the thought process behind it? My intention with this question is to see if its a good idea or not a good idea for me to do something similar? Thank you Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question if I could? I closed some cards and acquired some new ones last year but Im planning to stay with what Ive got this year. Are you planning to continue closing cards to open new ones this year? And if so what is the thought process behind it? My intention with this question is to see if its a good idea or not a good idea for me to do something similar? Thank you Smiley Happy

No, Im not closing cards in order to get new ones.  Im reducing store cards, since Ive acquired majors now that I can use anywhere. Thats been my goal this whole time was when I started getting major with decent limits, Id close my store cards out. Juat like my thread said.  Im also reducing overall available credit across the board.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, Im not closing cards in order to get new ones.  Im reducing store cards, since Ive acquired majors now that I can use anywhere. Thats been my goal this whole time was when I started getting major with decent limits, Id close my store cards out. Juat like my thread said.  Im also reducing overall available credit across the board.

Okay! Thank you!! Ive been closing store cards as my limits on my mastercards grow and I guess Im just on the fence about whether or not to keep ANY store cards or just stick with majors. I also filed bk back in 2012 and under no circumstances can I repeat that as Im now in banking and that will not go well. 

I find it hard to control debt knowing that I previously failed at it. And yes it was due to divorce but I know I still spend too much at times and need to improve my own behavior. 

I appreciate your answer!

Message 4 of 11
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay! Thank you!! Ive been closing store cards as my limits on my mastercards grow and I guess Im just on the fence about whether or not to keep ANY store cards or just stick with majors. I also filed bk back in 2012 and under no circumstances can I repeat that as Im now in banking and that will not go well. 

I find it hard to control debt knowing that I previously failed at it. And yes it was due to divorce but I know I still spend too much at times and need to improve my own behavior. 

I appreciate your answer!

I find that my previous failure (BK in 2009, due to consecutive layoffs resulting in a 40% reduction in pay!) has actually made it HARDER for me to spend money.  I have the money to take vacations and such now, but I just can't bring myself to spend it.  I say to myself "$2,000 to ride a boat for a week when I can take my own fishing boat up north for a week and spend about $200 including gas and drinks?"  lol

To get back to your fence-sitting...   SOME store cards are worth keeping IF you frequently shop there.  For example, the Amazon Store card gives you 5% statement credit.  You aren't going to touch that with rewards offered on any of the majors.  Yeah, its only a statement credit, but if you frequent Amazon, its a great deal.

Kohl's is another one...  Relatively frequent 30% off offers.  Only good at Kohl's, but still way better than your 2 or 3% cashback MC/Amex will give you.

When I get to the point where my majors are signigicantly higher than my store cards, Overstock and HSN store cards will be the frist to go, to open up room for more CLIs on majors.  They are useless to me, and I can get just about everything those places offer for significnatly less (especially HSN) locally or via Amazon!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

It's of great help to many cardholders if you ask me that Synchrony Bank goes above and beyond oftentimes with SP CLI's whether a little or a lot!

I don't want to part with Amazon and/or Walmart store cards if possible because it took some time to get them at a reasonable level but it does reach a point where we bump up to maximum exposure so there's really no other choice.

Not just that but it looks good too IMHO when you close cards with bigger limits

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I back pizzas decisions here, except for the amazon. Although going all visa/mc is a upgrade mentally and as far as class of accounts, the deferred financing offered from Amazon, along with their amazing price matching accommodations makes me hold mine close. Pizza doesn't buy amazon like I do, I understand.

I'm really impressed with the sudden progress, hope it continues. (Still envious of the bofa)
Message 7 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Need I say more?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Still trying to get her to close more of her store cards.. Hopefully the list will grow bigger!  

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Still trying to get her to close more of her store cards.. Hopefully the list will grow bigger!  

you may have to take her out for the steak dinner to accomplish that .... Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.