Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making sure I'm using my new Discover card the right way

tag
GettingBetter2015
Regular Contributor

Making sure I'm using my new Discover card the right way

I just got the card two weeks ago $1000 CL, I've already run $700 through it and paid it off. Tonight, we ran $800 through it buying DH a new pretty at Gander Mountain for his birthday. Will pay it off next paycheck with his annual bonus. Should I leave any of the $800 reporting or pay it off completely too and only leave a small charge on it? I really want a nice CLI in a few months and I know mmmv, but with DH having an upcoming trip to Vegas that his company will reimburse us for, I really foresee us running about $2000 through this card every month, so the $1000 is very limiting. Ultimately I'd love to see it get to at least $3500 pretty quickly so I'm keeping my other cards utilization pretty low for the next few months with the exception of the AMEX BCE that I just got the other day as well... I've got to at least get the cash bonus on it! :-)
Slowly rebuilding, learning as I go, but that's the beauty of learning...You never have to stop!

Current FICO scores: EX: 664 TU: 650 EQ: 668

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Making sure I'm using my new Discover card the right way

Congratulations on DH getting the Discover card!

My experience is, the more I use it, including extremely high utilization percentages, the more they like it and the more offers I get.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-CLI-6k/td-p/4504008

I'd use it up to $950 and then pay it off, regularly, seriously. If DH is setting up a trip that is reimbursed, charge as much as you can to the card, pay it down, charge it again. I would not worry about what reports on the statement, if you need to pay it off to charge something else, send the payment. When it shows the available credit, charge it again. That may result in a $0 statement report, or a $950 statement report, doesn't matter much if DH objective is to get a CLI on this card from Discover.

Check on DH Discover online account, to see if there is a CLI Request available. The language will tell you whether a SP CLI is available (no credit report will be needed) or if it is a HP.

In DH situation, where you anticipate more spend going through, he likely wants to run multiple cycles of high usage, fast payment through the card, then if no CLI link is on the account, call Discover up directly and ask if they can do a HP to give a CLI. Spend is fine, if the computer algorithm plays along, but sometimes you just have to call up and ask for what you want, and give up the HP to get it.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 6
GettingBetter2015
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the good info, it's actually my card, but I added DH as AU because he will get better spend with his job sending him different places. That's how we already ran $700 through it with his airfare from going to Orlando this past week. The company will reimburse us for airfare, so we figured that's the best way to do it rather than use the cash we have on hand. This way we'll get cash back on the purchase as well as the reimbursement.
I'm waiting until the 3rd quarter bonus category to use the card at Lowe's/Home Depot since we need a new deck. The next bonus category is the hard one for us, it's rare we go out to eat and I haven't been to a movie since Guardians of the Galaxy came out a couple years ago and previous to that I hadn't been to a movie in about 6 years! (I do go out to eat with my parents frequently, but they insist on paying, so I might have to have them give me the cash money and I'll put it on the Discover card to get the cash back.)
Slowly rebuilding, learning as I go, but that's the beauty of learning...You never have to stop!

Message 3 of 6
GettingBetter2015
Regular Contributor

The charges seem to lag on their site too... A gas purchase from last week is still pending, is there any way to force a payment through?

Message 4 of 6
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

If your bank or credit union uses online bill pay you can force a payment to Discover.

Message 5 of 6
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@GettingBetter2015 wrote:
The charges seem to lag on their site too... A gas purchase from last week is still pending, is there any way to force a payment through?

Yea I've found that Discover takes the longest to post purchases and payments. So keep that in mind if you are needing a payment to post by the due date or trying to make a certain utlization amount post before the statement cuts.

Personal:

Business:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.