cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the best of Discover It mishap?

tag
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Re: Making the best of Discover It mishap?

Wooh. All the replies

So, I have a Chase College Checking account already, which I used for DD for about six months before I moved back home and got DD at my CU again. You're saying I should keep it open to get a better shot at the Freedom card? My local credit union doesn't offer a credit card. They do offer mortages, auto loans, personal loans, and personal lines of credit. That last option kind of interests me, but I don't plan on living in Washington state for much longer (either transferring to another college or graduating). It's hard to say that the work would be worth it for something I wouldn't get to keep.

My parents have a pretty terrible track record with finances (going through their 2nd bankruptcy whenever their forebearance runs out), with that in mind, I think I can do it better on my own. Good ideas, all.

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 11 of 13
rustystick
New Contributor

@Dreamwalker wrote:

Wooh. All the replies

So, I have a Chase College Checking account already, which I used for DD for about six months before I moved back home and got DD at my CU again. You're saying I should keep it open to get a better shot at the Freedom card? My local credit union doesn't offer a credit card. They do offer mortages, auto loans, personal loans, and personal lines of credit. That last option kind of interests me, but I don't plan on living in Washington state for much longer (either transferring to another college or graduating). It's hard to say that the work would be worth it for something I wouldn't get to keep.

My parents have a pretty terrible track record with finances (going through their 2nd bankruptcy whenever their forebearance runs out), with that in mind, I think I can do it better on my own. Good ideas, all.

Keep it open and leave some monies in there.. no need for direct deposit but just keep some $$ there..

It will help your chances with freedom as chase does look at your relationship with them.

CSP 10k 0 Discover It 7.8k AmazonVisa 3k Freedom 1500 US Bank Cash Rewards 1500 BofA123 3300 SallieMae 3800
Message 12 of 13
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Got It! Fancy packaging. They even sent me the non-student version (balance transfers at 11.99%, regular APR 16.99%, an improvement from my secured card's 23.99%).

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.