cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Man, PenFed is TUFF. Putting me through the ringer ...

tag
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Man, PenFed is TUFF. Putting me through the ringer ...

Application is STILL pending from over a week ago. Here are some of the many documents they requested from me:

2008 personal tax return

2009 personal tax return

All schedules with tax returns

W2 forms

Business tax return

Profit & loss statement

Holy ****! This is only for a 15K line of credit from someone with a 750 Fico Equifax score. You would think I asked for $1,000,000!

I'm looking to establish a relationship here so I'm biting the bullet and giving them everything they requested. Waiting for their final decision. I called today and they said now they have everything they need.

Has anyone else encountered all this?

UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

Re: Man, PenFed is TUFF. Putting me through the ringer ...

@Uncle_Money wrote:

Application is STILL pending from over a week ago. Here are some of the many documents they requested from me:

2008 personal tax return - Yes

2009 personal tax return- Yes

All schedules with tax returns- Yes

W2 forms

Business tax return- Yes

Profit & loss statement- Yes

Holy ****! This is only for a 15K line of credit from someone with a 750 Fico Equifax score. You would think I asked for $1,000,000!

I'm looking to establish a relationship here so I'm biting the bullet and giving them everything they requested. Waiting for their final decision. I called today and they said now they have everything they need.

Has anyone else encountered all this?

UM

Plus I voluntarily submitted my 3 most recent bank Statements and Retirement Statement and Social Security Statement.All this for a 5K CL. Which I'm very happy with. It took 6 days from app to approval. The card is in the mail as of yesterday.

Personally, I dont have problem submitting all the documents a creditor asks for... at the time of application. It's their right IMO. Where I do have a problem submitting documents is after the fact. For example, Amex, upon instant approval, they grant me  a credit line and some time down the road they want to do a Financial Review.

This hasn't happened to me yet, as I'm still a youngster with Amex. But if it does in the future, I will close my Amex account in a heartbeat. The only thing they need to review, at this point, as far as I'm concerned, are my credit reports.

Message 2 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

While within an approvable range a 750 is certainly no protection from further scrutiny from Pen Fed (they also not infrequently deny apps at 750 range outright) their renowned for their strict underwriting and while they can't completely shake down every single applicant they often give a real run for the money.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They're tough for the self-employed.

When I applied, they didn't ask me for anything. I was still a federal employee at the time. I gave them my GS level, so they knew my salary (federal salaries are a matter of public record), and that was it. The only genuine perk of federal employment I've ever had, and it was unofficial. Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would this happen with AmEx Credit Cards (not charge cards)?

Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would this happen with AmEx Credit Cards (not charge cards)?

it can happen with any amex account

Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It can happen with any lender, period.

But PenFed has always been known for wanting to make sure that they're not going to get burned on any of their credit products.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
techman2008
New Contributor

I went thru the same thing with my local CU(BECU) for their credit card app.  

Starting Score: TU 797 EQ 798 EX 774 10/26/2008
Current Score: TU 787 EQ 784 EX ??? 09/19/2010
Goal Score: 790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently had a completely hassle free experience opening an auto loan with them. No tax returns required or anything. Granted, I have a strong history with them (credit card), so I think that factored in. You just can't beat their rates... I tried really hard to find a bank or credit union that could do better.

Providing them with all that info is well worth it. You'll save a lot of money.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.