Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing/impressing Penfed?

tag
lakelife16
New Contributor

Managing/impressing Penfed?

I just got approved last week for two Penfed credit cards and a PLOC as a new member (all $5,000 limits). Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to manage these accounts satisfactorily? I had little knowledge of the bank previously and another poster kindly recommended them based on my profile. Do they like heavy usage and large payments or light usage and balances? How about on the PLOC? I'd love to work towards  higher credit limits on my accounts so I just want to be knowledgable in how to accomplish this. Do I wait to see if I get a message for a CLI preapproval or do I make the request mysefl? If so, how long do I wait? Clean reports but a lot of new accounts in the last several months. Income low six-figures and current utilization around 3%. Inquiries about 5 on each report. Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Managing/impressing Penfed?

Just use them as you like and pay in full. They're not picky on how much you use their cards.
I'd give it atleast 6 months and then request CLI's.
Wash rinse repeat.. They'll reward you well.
Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congratulations on all the new PenFed credit.

If you carry balances, you will be paying interest. Are you OK with paying interest to PenFed? Is there a reason you need to pay interest? Don't think that carrying balances and paying interest will get you any better results than paying in full each month. Early on, in fact, with most banks, there's a risk of making them wonder about you if you run up a balance and make minimum payments.

I would not worry too much about usage strategy. Use the cards for charges that make sense, that you must buy anyway. Pay the bill on time. If there's a large purchase you need to stretch out, or you need the PLOC for some cash shortage, use the credit if you are ready to pay the interest, and can pay the debt back.

Like all banks, Pen Fed just wants you to pay them back.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
lakelife16
New Contributor

Thanks you guys, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to take your suggestions and see what happens. Honestly, after years with only one wimpy secured card, I'm grateful for these new credit opportunities.
Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@lakelife16 wrote:

Do they like heavy usage and large payments or light usage and balances?

As with any creditor do not rely solely on usage.  It's never just the account with the creditor that matters.  Your entire credit profile matters and will deterine the limit/CLI you qualify for along with your income.  If you want CLI's then work on your credit profile.

@lakelife16 wrote:

Do I wait to see if I get a message for a CLI preapproval or do I make the request mysefl?

Your call.  Preapproved offers are done on a quarterly basis.  You just missed the most recent one.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.