Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacture high balance on NPSL

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Manufacture high balance on NPSL

@DaveSignal wrote:

If no limit is reported on the NPSL card, it won't have any affect on your utilization.

Are you saying that if I have a regular Visa card with 5k limit and a BofA Visa Signature with 10k limit, and let the 2 cards report $0 and $8k respectively I will have a utilization of 0%? And consequently it makes no difference for credit scoring purposes whether I let the BofA Visa Signature report $0 or $8k?

Message 11 of 27
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

HiLine wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

If no limit is reported on the NPSL card, it won't have any affect on your utilization.

Are you saying that if I have a regular Visa card with 5k limit and a BofA Visa Signature with 10k limit, and let the 2 cards report $0 and $8k respectively I will have a utilization of 0%? And consequently it makes no difference for credit scoring purposes whether I let the BofA Visa Signature report $0 or $8k?

Yes, I am saying that it has the same affect on your util as an Amex charge card or a Bill Me Later account.... None.   It doesn't help your util and it doesn't hurt it.  $0 or $8k will score the same.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 12 of 27
HiLine
Blogger

@DaveSignal wrote:

HiLine wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

Yes, I am saying that it has the same affect on your util as an Amex charge card or a Bill Me Later account.... None.   It doesn't help your util and it doesn't hurt it.  $0 or $8k will score the same.

How about for a Bank of America Visa Signature card whose limit is not reported?

Message 13 of 27
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

HiLine wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

+1 on this. I have the Virgin Atlantic BofA card with $10K limit. I let an $8.8K purchase post as I forgot to pay before the closing on this card. I paid it before it was due but it was still on my report. Zero change the next month on my score. Same effect as letting my AmEx charge report. 

Message 14 of 27
HiLine
Blogger

@scenery_guy wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

HiLine wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

+1 on this. I have the Virgin Atlantic BofA card with $10K limit. I let an $8.8K purchase post as I forgot to pay before the closing on this card. I paid it before it was due but it was still on my report. Zero change the next month on my score. Same effect as letting my AmEx charge report. 

That's very helpful information, scenere_guy! So apparently BofA Visa Signature cards are treated the same way as Amex charge cards in calculating utilization. I think DavidSignal said in another thread that the newer FICO models do that. Do you know which scoring model reported no score change? Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 27
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

HiLine wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

HiLine wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

How about for a Bank of America Visa Signature card whose limit is not reported?

My BoA is not Visa Signature, so I can't say from my own first hand experience.  But I can say that in order for a current FICO model to score utilization, the account MUST report BOTH a balance (this can be $0 but not blank) and a credit limit.  If either of these things are not included, the account is scored like an NPSL charge card, ie: there is no effect on utilization.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 16 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 17 of 27
HiLine
Blogger

@DaveSignal wrote:

HiLine wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

HiLine wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

My BoA is not Visa Signature, so I can't say from my own first hand experience.  But I can say that in order for a current FICO model to score utilization, the account MUST report BOTH a balance (this can be $0 but not blank) and a credit limit.  If either of these things are not included, the account is scored like an NPSL charge card, ie: there is no effect on utilization.

I have my Score Watch report on the computer screen as we speak. The utilization ratio here is calculated as if the high balance is treated as a credit limit, and the reported balance is treated as a regular credit card balance. Must be a difference between scoring models.

Message 18 of 27
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Maybe you should pull your actual report to see what is going on, but afaik, FICO '04 and '08 models should not have an effect on util, '98 models will.

Message 19 of 27
HiLine
Blogger

@DaveSignal wrote:

Maybe you should pull your actual report to see what is going on, but afaik, FICO '04 and '08 models should not have an effect on util, '98 models will.

Yes I just pulled my official Equifax report yesterday actually. I didn't see anything unusual. What specific item do you suggest I look for?

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.