Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufactured Spending

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Manufactured Spending

@Juss11 wrote:

If yu go into say Vons/Safeway and buy a gift card. Can the credit card companys see what your buying? If you just buy say strait $500 then it may look like a ift card. But what if you buy a coke or somthing with it. Would they still beable totell if its a GC? I just spent $500 on my PRG card at CVS to buy a GC for my friends wedding next weekend. How does Amex treat this? I had never heard of MS at the time.

If the store does level 3 reporting, the issuer can get an itemized list of what was purchased.  Which doesn't mean that every such purchase is scrutinized, just that it could be.

Some do recommend buying an extra item (or putting just less than $500 on a gift card) to disguise and vary the amount, in case the issuer is looking for "bad" numbers, such as multiples of $503,95, $504.95 and $505.95.    I really doubt any such algorithm is used, simply because it is so easy to get around by those very simple methods!

Much easier to have a rule like: "If more than 4 purchases above $400 a month (or total above $1200 per month) at 5% stores for more than 3 months, investigate"

Message 21 of 28
WuXing5
Regular Contributor

this thread does not belong here, OP should have it deleted.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully. " - GWB
Message 22 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@WuXing5 wrote:
this thread does not belong here, OP should have it deleted.

Why?  DIscussion is allowed, just not advocating.

Message 23 of 28
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

For my own clear conscious I buy $1500/month in giftcards in order to pay car payment and mortgage. In my head I'm spending the money anyway and if I could I'd use the CC direct I would. None of the giftcard money goes to pay off the CC, that comes from my bank accounts. Granted there are ways to channel the money from giftcard to bank account and pay CC but that's crossing the line for me.

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 24 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Genkeim wrote:

For my own clear conscious I buy $1500/month in giftcards in order to pay car payment and mortgage. In my head I'm spending the money anyway and if I could I'd use the CC direct I would. None of the giftcard money goes to pay off the CC, that comes from my bank accounts. Granted there are ways to channel the money from giftcard to bank account and pay CC but that's crossing the line for me.

These are all great rationalizations, but you are buying cash equivalents to get rewards on these payments.  Sure, you would pay these bills anyway (so it's not excess spending) but if you paid them from your bank account, your cc company wouldn't need to give you rewards. It is the transaction and not intent that matters to the issuers.   Now, if the rewards are less than the swipe fee, they probably won't care.

Message 25 of 28
Jlu
Established Contributor

Every month I buy Vanilla Visa's with my CC and then load them onto my Serve for free at Family Dollar to pay bills that don't accept CC payments. I can't really say I feel bad for credit card companies when I do this...Take a look at their quarterly financial results if you want your conscience to feel clean.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 26 of 28
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

Every month I buy Vanilla Visa's with my CC and then load them onto my Serve for free at Family Dollar to pay bills that don't accept CC payments. I can't really say I feel bad for credit card companies when I do this...Take a look at their quarterly financial results if you want your conscience to feel clean.

I look at it as me helping businesses to accept CCs as payment.   And for those who think using CCs to buy things or make payments are in some way unethical, then by all means go carry cash. 

Learning the most advanced ways to pay bills and spend money is part of knowing how to spend your money. 

NO, I'm not going back to carrying gold bullions to gas stations.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 27 of 28
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

on  A side note....i really do not think its ethical that staples.com sells visa gift cards.....to me its like promoting ms

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.