cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufactured spending w/ PayPal Here?

tag
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Manufactured spending w/ PayPal Here?

can I have a question as well?

I thought the only VR can load to BB,  never know gc can do that too.

Do you know which gc can load to BB? thanks

newbie to MS things

Message 21 of 26
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

can I have a question as well?

I thought the only VR can load to BB,  never know gc can do that too.

Do you know which gc can load to BB? thanks

newbie to MS things

Since this is outside of the OP's question, I will PM you!

Message 22 of 26
JasonKR
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply guys!

I will just stop by @ grocery store and buy MoneyPak, or Amazon Payment if I get a chance. Smiley Wink

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 23 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Stiga9 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Stiga9 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Stiga9 wrote:

@parakleet wrote:

@jenn_bar

You explicitly told Amex that you were MS-ing? Sigh...that's like the first rule of MS club (via flyertalk).  

lol. They know we're buying GCs anyway. They can see itemized receipts! But as long as thats not the only thing we're buying then they don't care.

I don't think it's whether it is the only thing or not.  If an issuer doesn't like MS, it doesn't matter if it is 100% of your transactions or 1%.  You are abusing/not using the card as designed/making too much money.  (Well, they don't say the last).

With the BCP/BCE, they took the simple step of capping the rewards, so their concern is much reduced.  You can make $360 buying gift cards, or buying groceries, the risk to Amex is very small.

I don't think anyone in the history of MS has got shutdown due to 1% abusing though. As long as you're not near your reported income and not doing anymore than a large %  (whatever arbitrary number we can think of), then there is no reason for shutdown. My arbitrary # is 25%-ish of MS vs regular spend. No problem, and been doing it for almost 2 years. Even if we got FR'd, our income will support it. As I said, as long as we don't go near our reported income. 

Oh, there are examples.  At the height of the Citi 5x TYP shutdown, someone was shutdown (and all her cards closed) for buying 2 gift cards, as presents, at CVS.  She didn't even have the 5x card, but had lots of points built up over two or so years.  She just fell into their simple minded filter and was hit.  (Citi recently made an offer to redeem her points at 0.5 cents per point, with the cards staying closed).  So that's 0% abuse.

wow, no way! Is there a FT thread on this?

Of course!  http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1465023-citi-cards-closed-typ-confiscated-reason... Post I am talking about is #643 with details provided in many subsequent posts.  

At the beginning of the thread, heavy users are being shut down (first post charged $160K in 6 weeks) but then they seem to close down accounts almost at random, with small or non-players being hit while others are left alone.  Then, for whatever reason, Citi stopped closing down cards (too many law suits?), maybe just decided to let it die out.  For most, the 5x will end by May, with a handful going till August.   Mine ends in March.

Message 24 of 26
k0csi
Valued Member

@JasonKR wrote:

Hey guys,

I just received Amex BCE, and trying to get my sign-up offer ($150 back w/ spending $500)

by using PayPal Here (2.7% per transaction) to just swipe it myself.

Have anyone tried it? would this method eligible to get sign-up offer?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

AmEx may also suspend your account and do a financial review.  I was paying my business back (i maintain separate accounts/records) and used my personal AmEx to pay via a PayPal checkout page which resulted in a FR from AmEx and PayPal froze the transaction.  Instead of dealing with everything on PayPal's end, I reversed the transaction but AmEx still wanted 3 months of bank statements from me and froze my cards for a couple weeks.  I strongly suggest NEVER making a payment to yourself via Square, PayPal, etc.  Your SSN is connected via both, and they'll likely end up flagging your account.  I've luckily been a customer of AmEx long enough that they didn't just terminate my account and realized that we all make mistakes (one I know I'll never do again)!   But, that's just my experience.

9-11-13 FICO EQ: 726 - Current EQ FICO: 735 - Goal: 800

------$5900-----------$3800-----------$5500-----------$8000-----------$1100---------$13000----------$4000-----------$7000------
Goodyear Service - $2000, Ford Service $2000, Discovery Furniture $8000
Message 25 of 26
JasonKR
Regular Contributor

@k0csi wrote:

@JasonKR wrote:

Hey guys,

I just received Amex BCE, and trying to get my sign-up offer ($150 back w/ spending $500)

by using PayPal Here (2.7% per transaction) to just swipe it myself.

Have anyone tried it? would this method eligible to get sign-up offer?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

AmEx may also suspend your account and do a financial review.  I was paying my business back (i maintain separate accounts/records) and used my personal AmEx to pay via a PayPal checkout page which resulted in a FR from AmEx and PayPal froze the transaction.  Instead of dealing with everything on PayPal's end, I reversed the transaction but AmEx still wanted 3 months of bank statements from me and froze my cards for a couple weeks.  I strongly suggest NEVER making a payment to yourself via Square, PayPal, etc.  Your SSN is connected via both, and they'll likely end up flagging your account.  I've luckily been a customer of AmEx long enough that they didn't just terminate my account and realized that we all make mistakes (one I know I'll never do again)!   But, that's just my experience.

Thanks, I will just send money to sister's account

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.