cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriage?

tag
Matt4776

Marriage?

I was just wondering how marriage works in the scheme of credit cards. Say my spouse has X and I have Y. Can we be put on each other's card as joint applicants? If so, will the new TL appear as a new account or will it say it opened back when our spouse opened it originally?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Re: Marriage?

@Matt4776 wrote:
I was just wondering how marriage works in the scheme of credit cards. Say my spouse has X and I have Y. Can we be put on each other's card as joint applicants? If so, will the new TL appear as a new account or will it say it opened back when our spouse opened it originally?

Thanks!

You can make it a joint account, The question is, Do you really want that?

We've already had experiences through trial and error aso to why you shouldn't let your wife be a joint account holder... c'mon now. Think about it! lol

Message 2 of 12
Matt4776

We'd both be joint on each others. She has the freedom and soon I'll have the CSP, so Id want to link both.
Message 3 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Matt4776 wrote:
Can we be put on each other's card as joint applicants?

What's your goal in all this?  To increase AAoA?  You'd have to verify with each issuer how they handle this.

Message 4 of 12
Matt4776

I wouldn't say my goal is to increase AAoA, but rather to prevent it from dipping. I want a Chase Freedom, but would prefer for my AAoA to not take a huge hit. Same goes for her and the CSP. Was just wondering if it was possible.

Message 5 of 12
missjae
Established Contributor

@RushXTC wrote:

@Matt4776 wrote:

Thanks!

You can make it a joint account, The question is, Do you really want that?

We've already had experiences through trial and error aso to why you shouldn't let your wife be a joint account holder... c'mon now. Think about it! lol

+1...you can always choose to be authorized users on each other's account.  Adding someone as a joint applicant makes both responsible for the debt.  However, if you want to do it, you can call Chase and ask if they can add you to the Freedom as a joint applicant after the fact.  When you apply for the CSP, you can apply as joint applicants if they allow.  Good luck!

Message 6 of 12
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Just add yourself as an AU, the account will show up on your CR with all of her past history and you will be able to use it to earn points in the 5x categories

Then you can transfer her points to your CSP and use them for the benefits of the CSP
Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

One reason not to do joint accounts is so (if credit record allows) you can each sign up for the card and get the bonuses.   And then add as AU to each other (although some also advise against this just in case banks count this as having the card).

Rules on program transfer differ, but Chase allows transfers between spouses/domestic partners, and Citi allows TYP to be transferred to anyone etc.  So there are few advantages in having joint accounts, one being if combined income is needed to get the card.

Message 8 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

In a marriage,

You can add your spouse as either a co-owner, or an authorized user of your credit card, depending on the individual issuer.

My husband is an authorized user of several of my account, to help him re-establish good credit in his own name. I am not an AU on any of his accounts.

I think its important to have accounts that are joint, but also to have individual accounts.  Keep in mind that if your spouse is an AU on your credit card account, and he/she runs up the bill, you are responsible for paying it....

A lot of divorces happen due to financial trouble when one of the spouses can't control spending.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 12
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

The main downside I see is trying to protect your AAoA and share cards will be leaving the signup bonus for both cards on the table. Although both cards are nice the bonuses (at least the CSP) is where it's at. 

I am an AU on a couple of the wife's cards and she is on a few of mine but the only reason we did that was to earn additional bonuses for those cards when they rewarded adding an AU with more points or miles. All AU cards are in the sock drawer. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.