Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriot Rewards vs AMEX Hilton

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marriot Rewards vs AMEX Hilton

What if you're looking to stay somewhere that's not an exclusive location? I was looking at a place near Atlanta for 10k points per night. Seemed like a clean room and a clean hotel. I'm not one who cares as much about the hotel as what I'm going to be doing outside of the hotel. I haven't travelled with my amex hilton yet, but from what I've seen its looking ok for my purpose.
Message 11 of 28
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What if you're looking to stay somewhere that's not an exclusive location? I was looking at a place near Atlanta for 10k points per night. Seemed like a clean room and a clean hotel. I'm not one who cares as much about the hotel as what I'm going to be doing outside of the hotel. I haven't travelled with my amex hilton yet, but from what I've seen its looking ok for my purpose.

cheap rooms start at 30k HH when I look, 15k Marriott.  But I guess locations may vary.

I can't log into Hilton right now,  anyone else?

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still unsure which to app for lol

I have around 50,000 in Marriott rewards already..not too much.

Message 13 of 28
elim
Senior Contributor

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting..what are the offers usually?

I think im going to app for Marriott. I already have like 50K in points and then i'll get the 80K in bonus. that's already 130K. Looked at some nice hotels/resorts and Marriott point redemption is much lower then Hilton. Of course you get more points per with the Hilton, but they're more pricey.

Message 15 of 28
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting..what are the offers usually?

I think im going to app for Marriott. I already have like 50K in points and then i'll get the 80K in bonus. that's already 130K. Looked at some nice hotels/resorts and Marriott point redemption is much lower then Hilton. Of course you get more points per with the Hilton, but they're more pricey.

Apply for Marriott. Earn 10K more points and you can go on 5 nights vacation at their Category 7 property.

Edit: Adding an AU will get you an extra 8.5K points... so just earn 1.5K more and get 5 nights at Cat 7

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was about to apply until I saw it's only 2x points for Restaurants, Airline, and rental cars. Thought gas and supermarkets were included. THat's kind of lame. Should be 3x points then.

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reason why I'm debating is because I'd like a card I can use for my daily purchases which the Hilton seems more tailored too. Of course the 75k ended yesterday lol
Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I absolutely love staying at Hilton brand hotels when I travel.  Marriott used to be my brand of choice for years but I stayed at a Hampton Inn near my son's university a year ago and I had such a great experience that I have offically made the switch (and this was WAY before I even had a Hilton brand credit card which I was only approved for just last month).  I find that the prices are more reasonable and the quality of the rooms are comprable. I am especially like staying at Hampton Inns when traveling with my kids and my family since they always have free breakfast.. my kids really enjoy making the waffles using the waffle maker.  I also find they never give me a hard time with late check out. 

I was able to book room at the DoubleTree hotel in Orlando FL for 5 days/4 nights and that was only 80k points.  As a silver member I am also getting a 5th night for free.  (I was a Silver member before I was approved for the card so I didn't gain anything there)  Now that I have the Amex Hilton... I can't wait to rack up points so I will never have to pay for a hotel room again!!! So to me the card is absolutely worth it especially since there is no annual fee. 

Message 19 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Very different programs.

Hilton earning potential is higher, however, some of their properties cost 2-3x as much as marriott properties (in points)

Marriott (not counting ritz) caps at 45k. Hilton caps at over 90,000. Even a top tier ritz carlton is only 75k a night.

It all evens out. You'll earn less with the marriott card, but the points will be worth more.

Just be aware, you will never "never pay for a hotel room again." You will always need to pay for stays in some places, or spend exorbitant amounts of money on your hilton card, at which point you would likely get a better return on other cards anyways.

As someone with both hilton gold, and marriott gold status, I find marriott to be a program better suited to my needs, but as with everything, everyone has their own opinion.

To the OP, I would say look at places you want to travel to, or places you travel to often, and find out which program has the best offerings in those areas.
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.