Did you mean: 

Marriot Rewards vs AMEX Hilton

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Marriot Rewards vs AMEX Hilton

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
What if you're looking to stay somewhere that's not an exclusive location? I was looking at a place near Atlanta for 10k points per night. Seemed like a clean room and a clean hotel. I'm not one who cares as much about the hotel as what I'm going to be doing outside of the hotel. I haven't travelled with my amex hilton yet, but from what I've seen its looking ok for my purpose.

cheap rooms start at 30k HH when I look, 15k Marriott.  But I guess locations may vary.

I can't log into Hilton right now,  anyone else?

I definitely think it depends on where the property is located. I booked a trip to go down to the twin cities this weekend for Mothers day. I booked a room at a Hilton property near MSP airport for 20,000 points. Its a nice ultra-modern property too. The comparable cash price for the room was $130 pre tax. 

Take into account they often have double points promotions that can EXPLODE your earnings. I spent a week in Hawaii for spring break this year, and with a nicely timed double points promo, checked out with a solid 47,000 points earned. 

Finally they did also just start the program where HHonors members get something like a guaranteed 10% discount cash price on all Hilton properties compared to non members, so that helps close the gap between Marriott vs Hilton. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think im going to go with Marriott.I just don't like the non-use of it besides for booking Marriott wheras Hilton seems like it can be a daily. I already have 50K in rewards and I can't even remember last time I stayed at a Hilton, if I ever have. Maybe a Doubletree at somepoint.

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Think im going to go with Marriott.I just don't like the non-use of it besides for booking Marriott wheras Hilton seems like it can be a daily. I already have 50K in rewards and I can't even remember last time I stayed at a Hilton, if I ever have. Maybe a Doubletree at somepoint.

If you already have 50k in Marriott points, then I think that's a no-brainer.

Message 23 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While the marriott card isnt great for non marriott spending, no hotel card really is. 

the only use my ritz card sees is the 10k min spend, and then any hotel stay of less than 4 nights. any hotel spend over 4 nights goes on my citi prestige card. 

Hotel cards are more about the benefits than anything else. 

The free night you get with the marriott card is easily worth the $85 annual fee. 

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point.

I have a Arrival Plus so I guess I can pair that with the Marriott for all purchases other than booking Marriots or restaurants and airlines.
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thoughts on Chase Hyatt?

Might be staying at one for business and saw you get two free nights and the platinum membership benefits seem good.

Is this a difficult card to get?
Message 26 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Requirements for the Hyatt card are about the same as the Marriott card (and all of Chase's cobranded signature cards).

Hyatt card easily has one of the most lucrative sign up bonuses for hotel cards, with 2 free nights at any Hyatt.

Decent program, and there can be a fair amount of value in the points.
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, Hyatt signup is nice.

Only thing is, getting theMarriott bonus, I think I'd have enough for 6 nights in Caribbean or so combined with my points already.
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.