Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Annual Fee Value

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marriott Annual Fee Value

All these hotel cards are win win for both management and the frequent traveller.

I personally like the IHG and its $50 annual fee and free nights.  With other cards, the points seem to rack up at a snails pace.  With IHG, the points just keep coming...especially with their quarterly extra bonus plans.

IHG provides for both the budget end (Holiday Inn Express and the fancier Crown stuff).  Although not super low budget, the Holiday Inn Expresses are cheap enough when I want a budget stay...with decent free breakfast in most places so that's another $20 saved per day for 2 people.

Message 51 of 62
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree that of the hotel cards it seems IHG is one of the easier to justify, but youre still limited to their brands
Message 52 of 62
redpat
Senior Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
@redpat

why go for precheck instead of global entry?

Oops.  I'll wait 5 years.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 53 of 62
onstar
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps it wouldn't have been so skewed if all the hotels you posted weren't commonly associated as sketchy/crime dens.

Ah, I see. Because no crime ever takes place at fancy hotels, like Vegas drug and sex parties at expensive hotels, the craigslist killer at Marriott or.. people ending up dead at Palm Desert Hotel. Just because you say something is "commonly associated" does not make it so, and associating budget brands with crime is ludicrous. In fact, neighborhoods rather than hotels are a lot more associated with crime. It's a cheap way to be dismissive of those who you think are of lesser means than you. When locales are similar, you'd be hard pressed to find a distinction, unless we're talking about tons of white collar and drug crimes taking place in the high end places.

Let's go with...low end, low quality, lack of amenities, usually poor location. Smiley Happy

That's a matter of judgment - As I said before, I research my accommodations well, and I have never found any of the budget hotels that I have picked subsequent to that research "low quality" for my needs. Amenities I could care less about. Give me free parking over an indoor restaurant anyday. As for location, these budget hotels are more than often available in the same locales as the higher end ones, in addition to also being everywhere else.

It's not that the Super 8s and the Econo Lodges are all bad and that the Marriotts are all good. But generally speaking, more sketchy things happen at the former than the latter PROPORTIONALLY speaking.

If I was going to spend money on going to Niagara Falls, then I'll spend money on good and safe accommodations. If I cannot stay at a nicer place, then I'd rather stay at home and save the $$. Given a choice between (A) going to Niagara Falls and staying at a Super 8 that will cost me $57 for the whole trip because I get free airfare vs. (B) staying home and watching THIS instead, I'm choosing (B) all day long.

Smiley Happy

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 54 of 62
yfan
Valued Contributor

@onstar wrote:

It's not that the Super 8s and the Econo Lodges are all bad and that the Marriotts are all good. But generally speaking, more sketchy things happen at the former than the latter PROPORTIONALLY speaking.

If I was going to spend money on going to Niagara Falls, then I'll spend money on good and safe accommodations. If I cannot stay at a nicer place, then I'd rather stay at home and save the $$. Given a choice between (A) going to Niagara Falls and staying at a Super 8 that will cost me $57 for the whole trip because I get free airfare vs. (B) staying home and watching THIS instead, I'm choosing (B) all day long.

Smiley Happy

Again, whether "more sketchy things happen" depends far more on the locale than the brand of hotel. The only reason more sketchy things may happen (and to be honest, no one here actually given statistics or data proving THAT is even the case - this is just conjecture without that) at the former than the latter is because there are more Motel 8's located in sketchy areas and fewer Marriotts. Not to mention I doubt very much more sketchy things happen ANYWHERE than in high end Vegas hotels with drugs and sex parties.

So paying more for a brand hotel in the exact same locale where a budget property is available is very, very unlikely to make your stay any safer (as was the case for my comparison of the Niagara Motel 8 and CY properties, both located in Buffalo). You are better off doing a zip code crime database lookup in this case than relying on a hotel brand name.

Message 55 of 62
redpat
Senior Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@onstar wrote:

Smiley Happy

Again, whether "more sketchy things happen" depends far more on the locale than the brand of hotel. The only reason more sketchy things may happen (and to be honest, no one here actually given statistics or data proving THAT is even the case - this is just conjecture without that) at the former than the latter is because there are more Motel 8's located in sketchy areas and fewer Marriotts. Not to mention I doubt very much more sketchy things happen ANYWHERE than in high end Vegas hotels with drugs and sex parties.

So paying more for a brand hotel in the exact same locale where a budget property is available is very, very unlikely to make your stay any safer (as was the case for my comparison of the Niagara Motel 8 and CY properties, both located in Buffalo). You are better off doing a zip code crime database lookup in this case than relying on a hotel brand name.

There are sex parties in high end Vagas hotels, where? I stay at the Palazzo, LOL!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 56 of 62
yfan
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

There are sex parties in high end Vagas hotels, where? I stay at the Palazzo, LOL!

Well, I linked in an earlier post that someone even got charged with it. And the drugs stuff in Vegas... let's just say I have seen it first hand before walking out.

Message 57 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@onstar wrote:

Smiley Happy

Penthouses.

Message 58 of 62
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@onstar wrote:

Penthouses.

Of course, so that's where the Forums started. 

Message 59 of 62
jsucool76
Super Contributor

you can go to some high end Marriotts in Asia and there'll be.... women for hire hanging out in the lobby and lobby bar.

while I agree it has to do with the area and the people around there (rather than the brand itself) I also prefer the amenities of more upscale hotels. I like to stay in full service Marriotts for the lounge access, and I'll stay at the Ritz to use my club level upgrades. I'm not going to spend $600 a night for the Ritz in central park, but if I can find a cheap night at the Ritz in Orlando or something, I'll take it.
Message 60 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.