Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marriott Rewards

I have 3 upcoming trips where I will have 5-6 rooms for 4 nights on my card, hotels totaling $12,162.65, how many points can I expect to earn on these trips along with nights towards Gold? I know it sounds like a rookie question. I am silver right now with 18 nights.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marriott Rewards

I am only asking because I always see people getting 8.5 pp $ spent, just trying to figure out the conversion! any help is appreciated

Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, assuming that you have the base model Marriot Rewards card, you get 3 points per dollar spent. If you have the premier card, you get 5 points per dollar spent.

https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/premier_benefits

I'm not sure, but you might also be able to get up to 10 points per dollar spent through the Marriott Rewards program. Hopefully someone who actually uses these cards will be able to help out.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi

Message 3 of 38
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 3 upcoming trips where I will have 5-6 rooms for 4 nights on my card, hotels totaling $12,162.65, how many points can I expect to earn on these trips along with nights towards Gold? I know it sounds like a rookie question. I am silver right now with 18 nights.

@If this is all hotel spend @ 5pts per $1=60810 pts

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

You will earn elite nights for only one of those rooms per hotel. You'll earn points for 3 rooms at a time.

You'll earn 5x on every dollar spent (no limit on rooms) from using your marriott card. So right off the bat thats over 60k points in card spend.

Assuming you have 6 rooms for every trip (this is a rough estimate), you'll earn points on half of that. 3 rooms at a time. So if you're spending a total of 12,165, you'll earn points for right around $6100.

10 points per dollar base, plus a 20% bonus. 12 points per dollar, on $6,100 spend is around 73k points.

All rough estimates, obviously.

If you really want to max your earnings, have a travel companion create a marriott rewards account. Refer them to the program. (you'll receive a bonus for this) Change 3 rooms in each hotel to their name, with their rewards number. Once the trip is over, have them transfer the points to you. Then you will earn for all rooms.

Edit: You'll technically receive 2 bonuses for referring your travel companion to marriott and moving over some rooms. One bonus for you, for referring them. They will also receive a referral bonus. Once you transfer points to yourself (Note: There is a $10 fee for this for non gold/plat members) you'll be double dipping on the referral bonus. 

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is on my Marriott Rewards Premier credit card from Chase! And yes that is all hotel spend

Message 6 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, that sounds like somewhere between 130k and 200k points. Any idea how many cpp for Marriott? I have no idea what the difference between the 9 categories and the 5 tiers, but it appears that it tops out at 70k points per night. I'd guess those hotel rooms around around $1000 per night, so you're getting 1.4 cpp. But that gives you somewhere around 24% back on a converted basis, which seems off to me. 

Message 7 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, that sounds like somewhere between 130k and 200k points. Any idea how many cpp for Marriott? I have no idea what the difference between the 9 categories and the 5 tiers, but it appears that it tops out at 70k points per night. I'd guess those hotel rooms around around $1000 per night, so you're getting 1.4 cpp. But that gives you somewhere around 24% back on a converted basis, which seems off to me. 

Standard rooms in cat9s max out at 45k. Tiers apply only to Ritz Carlton and Edition hotels, and cap out at 70k points. 

The value depends on the price of the hotel, and can be terrible, or fantastic. Depends on when/where you're travelling to. 

Cat9 marriotts are usually not $1000/night. Some T5 ritz's are though. 

Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's for business and I went directly through Marriott's website. I have 2 reservations for each of the 3 stays. One reservation for 3 rooms and another for 2 rooms so 5 rooms total for two of the trips and 6 rooms (2 reservations of 3 rooms) for the final trip.

Message 9 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Well if there is someone you trust that you're travelling with, put the reservations in their name. Otherwise you're missing out on a lot of points.

You're only earning 56% of the potential points you could receive through 2 marriott accounts.
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.