Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marriott Rewards

@jsucool76 wrote:
Well if there is someone you trust that you're travelling with, put the reservations in their name. Otherwise you're missing out on a lot of points.

You're only earning 56% of the potential points you could receive through 2 marriott accounts.

Does this second person need to have the credit card?

Message 11 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

No. You can still pay for the room with your credit card. The reservation just needs to be in their name, and have THEIR rewards number on it. Make sure the front desk clerk doesn't adjust it if you go to pay with your card. If they say anything just say your company is paying for it and you need to use your card.
Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

So should I change half of the reservations to my assistant's name and use my MRP card to pay for all of the rooms?

Message 13 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

IF your assistant is travelling with you, then yes. If your assistant does not have a marriott rewards account, send them a referral (http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/refer-a-friend.mi) and have them register. You'll each earn 2k points for each stay your assistant makes, up to 10k points each.

If your assistant already has a marriott rewards account, change the name and rewards number on any rooms in excess of 3. (IE: if you have 5 rooms booked, change the name on 2, if you have 6 booked, change the name and number on 3)
Message 14 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes sense. And this is true even though I have 2 reservations of 3 and 2 rooms? for some reason it wouldnt let me book 5/6 rooms just in one reservation. I am sending my assistant the referral now!

Message 15 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Yes, so if you have one res for 3, and one res for 2, just move the res for 2 over. Do this by calling marriott rewards guest services.

And yeah, some hotels require a special booking process to book a lot of rooms at once. It's easier to just book 3 and 2 or 3 and 3, but you can sometimes get a better rate by contacting the hotel directly and requesting a group rate.
Message 16 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if all goes perfectly, how many points can I expect to earn with doing this little trick that you so kindly showed me?

Message 17 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Depends on the cost of the rooms (due to the fact that you get a 20% bonus, and your assistant will not for the rooms they book). If we just divide the total (once again, rough estimate) by 16 (the number of room nights) and multiply by 9 (your stays)

you're looking at 6841.49 at 12 points per dollar. = 82,097 points.
Your assistant is looking at 5321.15 at 10 points per dollar. = 53,211

With the referral bonuses, you're looking at 6k points each, for a total of 12k.

And then for your card spend you're looking at 60813

For a grand total of 208,121 points. You will need to pay $10 to transfer those 53,211 points from your assistant to you, but definitely worth it.

Note: These are rough estimates, and do not account for any other potential earning opportunities. (IE: In room Dining, Hotel Restaurant/Bar purchases, Gift Shop Purchases, Spa Purchases, etc.) (Earning potential varies by brand)

Also, if any of your stays are in a Residence Inn or Towneplace Suites the earning scheme is totally different. Just a heads up. 

Message 18 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

Depends on the cost of the rooms (due to the fact that you get a 20% bonus, and your assistant will not for the rooms they book). If we just divide the total (once again, rough estimate) by 16 (the number of room nights) and multiply by 9 (your stays)

you're looking at 6841.49 at 12 points per dollar. = 82,097 points.
Your assistant is looking at 5321.15 at 10 points per dollar. = 53,211

With the referral bonuses, you're looking at 6k points each, for a total of 12k.

And then for your card spend you're looking at 60813

For a grand total of 208,121 points. You will need to pay $10 to transfer those 53,211 points from your assistant to you, but definitely worth it.

Note: These are rough estimates, and do not account for any other potential earning opportunities. (IE: In room Dining, Hotel Restaurant/Bar purchases, Gift Shop Purchases, Spa Purchases, etc.) (Earning potential varies by brand)

Also, if any of your stays are in a Residence Inn or Towneplace Suites the earning scheme is totally different. Just a heads up. 

The $12,162.65 is the total for all 3 trips. The room rates range from $149.99 a night to $189.99 a night. We are staying at Springhill Suites and 2 Courtyard's. How many nights could I potentially get to earn towards Gold?

Message 19 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

1 room will earn nights for you. So if you travel for a total of 12 nights, you'll earn 12 nights. Add up how many nights you personally will be staying in hotels, and thats how many you'll earn.
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.