Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Card Question..

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Marvel Card Question..

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

I don't know CC or UncleB. DH hasn't used his card for an Amazon purchase. When or if he does, I will let you know.

Thanks BBP!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 22
dragontears
Senior Contributor

The BF has the card and made an amazon purchase this month, statement closes later this week so will see if it codes under the 3% category soon
Message 12 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Gotcha I do understand MCC's, but obviosuly Amazon has Amazon, Full-filled by Amazon, etc.

I asked this same question a few weeks back in another thread and several people replied "of course it will!" and tried to re-educate me on MasterCard MCCs (uh, thanks?) but literally nobody who actually had the card spoke up and confirmed that all Amazon purchases (or any, for that matter) got them 3% cash back on the Marvel card.  Smiley Indifferent

I'm not a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, but I understand MCCs fairly well (LOL) and would still like to hear from an actual owner of a Marvel card on this.

So, for you Marvel card holders out there, are you getting 3% back on all Amazon purchases, or just Amazon 'proper'?  How about MarketPlace? 

Let us know how it's working out for you!  Smiley Happy

While I understand the viewpoint.....   If you don't trust the MCC approach, I don't see how hearing User X got 3% can really increase your confidence.  Maybe something special about the particular item purchased was the key etc.   And someone not getting it equally means not much!   Unlike Chase Freedom blocking Target (and the other one) explicitily in their offer, if they do offer Books without a more detailed breakdown, they really have to follow the MCC approach.

Message 13 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Agree with Lurker. MCCs are MCCs. Someone's experience with a card may be reassuring, but realistically, coding isn't going to vary from Mastercard to Mastercard.

Besides all that, there are several cards with 5 percent on Amazon either permanently or rotating, so not sure what the big fuss over 3 percent is. If you're a truly devoted Amazon shopper, there are ways to be getting more than the 3 percent.
Message 14 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Gotcha I do understand MCC's, but obviosuly Amazon has Amazon, Full-filled by Amazon, etc.

I asked this same question a few weeks back in another thread and several people replied "of course it will!" and tried to re-educate me on MasterCard MCCs (uh, thanks?) but literally nobody who actually had the card spoke up and confirmed that all Amazon purchases (or any, for that matter) got them 3% cash back on the Marvel card.  Smiley Indifferent

I'm not a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, but I understand MCCs fairly well (LOL) and would still like to hear from an actual owner of a Marvel card on this.

So, for you Marvel card holders out there, are you getting 3% back on all Amazon purchases, or just Amazon 'proper'?  How about MarketPlace? 

Let us know how it's working out for you!  Smiley Happy

While I understand the viewpoint.....   If you don't trust the MCC approach, I don't see how hearing User X got 3% can really increase your confidence.  Maybe something special about the particular item purchased was the key etc.   And someone not getting it equally means not much!   Unlike Chase Freedom blocking Target (and the other one) explicitily in their offer, if they do offer Books without a more detailed breakdown, they really have to follow the MCC approach.

Myself (and some others) would just like to hear some member's personal experiences with Amazon purchases using the Marvel card... nothing more, nothing lessSmiley Wink

I don't really understand why the question has repeatedly been 'shouted down' - this isn't the first thread I've seen it asked - instead of simply allowing some people to answer.  We're not forcing anybody to subscribe or accept anyone's personal experience as 'the gospel'.  Then again each time somebody questions the "usefulness" of the question this thread does get a 'bump'.  Smiley Happy

A couple of folks have already volunteered to share their experience when their statement is generated.  It's not a scientific study, some of us are just curious if anybody has actually seen an Amazon charge generate a cash reward - that's all.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
UncleB,

You would get the 3% on all purchases billed directly to Amazon, so physical goods sold or fulfilled by them because those are billed under the MCC of bookstore. Anyone who has a Mastercard can see that already.

With the Marvel card, you will also get the 3% on digital purchases from Amazon Digital Services because it has a different MCC that falls into the "digital entertainment" category.

I'm not sure why people think that you have to "test" the system out with the card, rather than understanding how it works. Every card on a given payment network will have a given merchant coded exactly the same way.

Thanks for your input, but I don't feel I need to "test" the system, I would just like to hear from some folks who actually have the card. 

I do have a MasterCard - actually I have five.  With my specific cards I don't see the MCC used for billing; perhaps I'm an outlier?  The only MC or Visa I have that shows an MCC for my purchases is (oddly enough) my Wells Fargo Visa debit card.

I agree completely that it 'should' work the way you describe, but there's no harm in asking existing card holders if their real-world experience matches our expectations, right?  Smiley Wink

The Spider-Man card in my signature is in fact representative of card membership.

Not trying to be rude, but if you understand MCCs, you would already know that if a Mastercard shows Amazon purchases as "bookstore", every Mastercard would show them that way.

In an attempt to help your confusion, I offer the following screenshots of transactions from my Barclay Sallie Mae rewards (which as you can see clearly states the category), and my Synchrony Marvel card (which as you can see does not indicate any category, but credited 3% cash back for an applicable bonus category purchase).

And as promised, from someone "who actually owns the card" aka me:

You're welcome.

Message 16 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
UncleB,

You would get the 3% on all purchases billed directly to Amazon, so physical goods sold or fulfilled by them because those are billed under the MCC of bookstore. Anyone who has a Mastercard can see that already.

With the Marvel card, you will also get the 3% on digital purchases from Amazon Digital Services because it has a different MCC that falls into the "digital entertainment" category.

I'm not sure why people think that you have to "test" the system out with the card, rather than understanding how it works. Every card on a given payment network will have a given merchant coded exactly the same way.

Thanks for your input, but I don't feel I need to "test" the system, I would just like to hear from some folks who actually have the card. 

I do have a MasterCard - actually I have five.  With my specific cards I don't see the MCC used for billing; perhaps I'm an outlier?  The only MC or Visa I have that shows an MCC for my purchases is (oddly enough) my Wells Fargo Visa debit card.

I agree completely that it 'should' work the way you describe, but there's no harm in asking existing card holders if their real-world experience matches our expectations, right?  Smiley Wink

The Spider-Man card in my signature is in fact representative of card membership.

Not trying to be rude, but if you understand MCCs, you would already know that if a Mastercard shows Amazon purchases as "bookstore", every Mastercard would show them that way.

In an attempt to help your confusion, I offer the following screenshots of transactions from my Barclay Sallie Mae rewards (which as you can see clearly states the category), and my Synchrony Marvel card (which as you can see does not indicate any category, but credited 3% cash back for an applicable bonus category purchase).

And as promised, from someone "who actually owns the card" aka me:

You're welcome.

My question still stands...

Have you (yourself) made a purchase with your Marvel card (yes, the one in your signature) from Amazon?

If so, have you seen a credit on your Marvel statement for the Amazon purchase?

I never questioned the fact that you did/didn't own the card, just that I would like to hear from somebody who owns the card and has made an Amazon purchase and has seen a statement credit. 

If not, that's OK - seriously.

I both understand MCC coding, and am not concerned with your Barclay card statement.

We'll wait for someone who has the card (as you do) and who has made an Amazon purchase, and who has seen the credit to reply. 

It's OK - really!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in other words, you think that Synchrony might be dishonest with the stated discount categories.

Nobody can help you there, because if you are rejecting the MCC system's validity, you are then open to individual transactions from the same merchant coding differently which would defeat any 'proof' you are hoping to have by seeing a Marvel card statement showing an Amazon.com purchase, followed several days later with a matching Synchrony 3% account credit.

For reference, in the Marvel card's agreement we read:

• 3% Back — For every dollar in eligible net purchases (merchandise purchased minus returns and adjustments) ("Purchases"), rounded to the nearest hundredth, charged to your Card for Purchases of dining, select entertainment and for Marvel Online and Convention Purchases. Select entertainment categories include Movie Theatres, Video Rental and Game Stores, Theatrical and Concert Promoters, Amusement Parks, Digital Entertainment, Games and Software, Music, Books and Newsstands, Toys and Hobby Stores. See below for details regarding the definition of each category. Eligible Purchases of dining and select entertainment will be determined by the merchant category code (the "MCC") associated with the merchant. An MCC is a four-digit classification code that is assigned to a merchant by the merchant's payment card network or merchant processor based on the predominant business activity of the merchant. The merchant's MCC will determine whether a Purchase qualifies for the 3% cash back reward. For example, a dining purchase at the café area of a grocery store may have a MCC identification as a type of merchant other than a restaurant and therefore would not qualify as a dining purchase under these Terms. Neither Marvel nor Synchrony Bank assigns or has responsibility for the assignment of MCCs or evaluates what MCC should be assigned to a particular merchant.

and for your convenience here are the MCCs for those:

Dining (Eating places, restaurants) 5812, (Bars, Cocktail Lounges, Discotheques, Nightclubs, and Taverns—
Drinking Places (Alcoholic Beverages)) 5813, (Fast Food Restaurants) 5814

Movie Theater (Motion Picture Theater) 7832

Video Rental and Game stores (Video Entertainment Rental Store) 7841

Theatrical and Concert Promoters (Theatrical Producers except Motion Picture, Ticketing Agencies) 7922

Amusement Parks (Amusement Park, Carnivals, Circuses, Fortune Tellers) 7996

Digital Entertainment, Games, and Software (Games) 5816, (Software) 5817, (Music) 5815

Books and Newsstands (News Dealers and Newsstands) 5994, (Newspapers Books and Periodicals) 5192, (Bookstore) 5942

Toys and Hobby Stores (Game, Toy and Hobby Shops) 5945

Message 18 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I appreciate the info; I've seen it all before but it might prove helpful to somebody else reading the thread.  Smiley Wink

The OP - and myself - have a really simple question/request... it's not a 'trick' and it's not meant to annoy.

I/we simply want to hear from someone who has the Marvel card, has made an Amazon purchase, and who has seen a credit for that purchase.

That's it. 

This is so simple yet it seems to genuinely bother some folks, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.  

If someone doesn't meet those criteria, it's not that I don't want to hear from them - I want to hear from everybody! - it just that they are unable to answer the question.

I welcome input from any Marvel card holders who have seen a credit generated from an Amazon purchase; if possible I would like to see that Amazon Marketplace is treated the same as Amazon.com 'proper'.  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

I appreciate the info; I've seen it all before but it might prove helpful to somebody else reading the thread.  Smiley Wink

The OP - and myself - have a really simple question/request... it's not a 'trick' and it's not meant to annoy.

I/we simply want to hear from someone who has the Marvel card, has made an Amazon purchase, and who has seen a credit for that purchase.

That's it. 

This is so simple yet it seems to genuinely bother some folks, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.  

If someone doesn't meet those criteria, it's not that I don't want to hear from them - I want to hear from everybody! - it just that they are unable to answer the question.

I welcome input from any Marvel card holders who have seen a credit generated from an Amazon purchase; if possible I would like to see that Amazon Marketplace is treated the same as Amazon.com 'proper'.  Smiley Happy

Should be pretty obvious why. The purpose of asking if someone has received a 3% credit for an Amazon purchase implies that the person asking the question is unaware of the MCC system and how it works.

Ongoing inquries of this nature, after being presented with more than enough information to know that indeed they will gives the impression that you don't actually understand the MCC system.  

Many of us are here and happy to educate, but when information is presented to clear up misunderstanding and educate the inquirer, yet demand for the smaller, unimportant detail persists - it appears very strongly that there is an extreme lack of learning going on with regard to the inquirer.

This ongoing uneducated inquiry can be likened to a child demanding to know if fire will burn his hand. After being taught that fire will burn all creatures, the child continues insisting that he just wants to hear from someone who has put their hand into fire, if it indeed was burnt.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.