Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Card Statement Posted - 3% on everything I bought

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Marvel Card Statement Posted - 3% on everything I bought

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

According to the reward terms for this card, the issuance of the statement credit will be provided within 2 billing cycles.  So, it's good to see that they issued the credit so quickly for the OP.

Question for the OP:  It looks like you also have the Discover it card.  If so, were you conflicted over which card to use for your dining purchases, since you could be earning 5% or 10% back with your Discover card?  This is part of the reason why I'm in no rush to apply for this card right now, assuming that I do end up applying.  I'm also curious to know if this is causing a dilemma for any others who recently received the new Marvel card, but also have the Discover it card.  I suspect that you'd be eager to use the new Marvel card to show it off.

But why give up 5 or 10% to get 3%? The other 9 months out of the year, use Marvel. But otherwise, I'd take advantage of the Discover while it lasts!

Message 11 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

According to the reward terms for this card, the issuance of the statement credit will be provided within 2 billing cycles.  So, it's good to see that they issued the credit so quickly for the OP.

Question for the OP:  It looks like you also have the Discover it card.  If so, were you conflicted over which card to use for your dining purchases, since you could be earning 5% or 10% back with your Discover card?  This is part of the reason why I'm in no rush to apply for this card right now, assuming that I do end up applying.  I'm also curious to know if this is causing a dilemma for any others who recently received the new Marvel card, but also have the Discover it card.  I suspect that you'd be eager to use the new Marvel card to show it off.

But why give up 5 or 10% to get 3%? The other 9 months out of the year, use Marvel. But otherwise, I'd take advantage of the Discover while it lasts!

+1

I also get 3% back on restaurant purchases with my Synchrony/Sam's Club MasterCard, but I'm not going to use it this quarter... Discover wins hands-down.

I like a cool looking card as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to use (or not use) a card solely due to how it looks... I'm all about the rewards.  Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 17
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

+1

I also get 3% back on restaurant purchases with my Synchrony/Sam's Club MasterCard, but I'm not going to use it this quarter... Discover wins hands-down.

I like a cool looking card as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to use (or not use) a card solely due to how it looks... I'm all about the rewards.  Smiley Wink

I agree with both of you guys, but I'd be surprised if this isn't causing a little bit of a dilemma for some people who got a new Marvel card and also have the Discover it card.  I'm guessing that most people on this forum like using and showing off their new cards and the Marvel cards just seem to beg to be shown off.  Of course the Marvel card can be used for 3% cash back for entertainment purchases as well, so maybe that's where people are mostly using it for now, if they have both cards.

Message 13 of 17
BornSupercharged
New Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@BornSupercharged wrote:

I spent $685.33 in the time I had my Marvel MasterCard, and my "Statement Credit Earned this period" reads as follows:

Dining, Select Entertainment, Marvel.Com (3%)  $18.91

All other purchases (1%) $0.55 

Welcome Statement Credit $25

Total Statement Credit earned this period: $44.46

New Balance $640.87

I love that I don't have to accumulate points and remember to redeem them, they instantly apply what I've earned to the same statement. I don't understand the 55 cents which was for "all other purchases" as I don't have anything for that amount as a charge, but it really doesn't matter.

I bought from:

Amazon.com

Michaels

McDonalds

Cowboy Chicken

Taco Bell

Torchy's Tacos

Grubhub

Chuck e Cheese

Panda Express

I wasn't sure that Grubhub would count but it does. And FWIW, people absolutely love the captain america card, I've never gotten comments on a credit card before and everyone I hand it to says how cool it is. 

You've got 3% on a lot of things but not everything, and the calc shows it clearly.

$18.91 CB at 3%: The spend is $18.91/0.03 = $630.33 round down to $630.30 (can be anywhere in that range) in the 3% category.

Since you spent exactly $685.33, that means $685.33-$630.33 = $55 was spent in the non-3% category. On that, you earned $55*.01 = $0.55 (exactly as mentioned in the cashback details). Note that because of rounding, it need not be exactly $55, but +/- 10-15 cents or so will still do it. Also, it need not be on one single purchase. 

Good catch on that, I'd have to look through again and see what didn't count. I imagine it's going to have been GrubHub.

Message 14 of 17
BornSupercharged
New Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

+1

My Discover It card currently has a 0% bt on it that I'm paying down over the next year, if I charge any new purchases on it I would have to pay off the bt. Payments are applied to the order which they were charged so if I make a $100 payment none of it is going to go to my food purchases, it will just go to the balance transfer amount. Which would defeat my purpose of doing the balance transfer. Thus I cannot use the Discover It card.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@BornSupercharged wrote:

I spent $685.33 in the time I had my Marvel MasterCard, and my "Statement Credit Earned this period" reads as follows:

Dining, Select Entertainment, Marvel.Com (3%)  $18.91

All other purchases (1%) $0.55 

Welcome Statement Credit $25

Total Statement Credit earned this period: $44.46

New Balance $640.87

I love that I don't have to accumulate points and remember to redeem them, they instantly apply what I've earned to the same statement. I don't understand the 55 cents which was for "all other purchases" as I don't have anything for that amount as a charge, but it really doesn't matter.

I bought from:

Amazon.com

Michaels

McDonalds

Cowboy Chicken

Taco Bell

Torchy's Tacos

Grubhub

Chuck e Cheese

Panda Express

I wasn't sure that Grubhub would count but it does. And FWIW, people absolutely love the captain america card, I've never gotten comments on a credit card before and everyone I hand it to says how cool it is. 

You've got 3% on a lot of things but not everything, and the calc shows it clearly.

$18.91 CB at 3%: The spend is $18.91/0.03 = $630.33 round down to $630.30 (can be anywhere in that range) in the 3% category.

Since you spent exactly $685.33, that means $685.33-$630.33 = $55 was spent in the non-3% category. On that, you earned $55*.01 = $0.55 (exactly as mentioned in the cashback details). Note that because of rounding, it need not be exactly $55, but +/- 10-15 cents or so will still do it. Also, it need not be on one single purchase. 

Ah, now I see where I went wrong.  I was looking at the "New Balance" as spending, but of course that's reduced because of the statement credits.  With total spend at $685.33, that does tie out to right around $55 at 1%.

Chris.

Message 16 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BornSupercharged wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

+1

My Discover It card currently has a 0% bt on it that I'm paying down over the next year, if I charge any new purchases on it I would have to pay off the bt. Payments are applied to the order which they were charged so if I make a $100 payment none of it is going to go to my food purchases, it will just go to the balance transfer amount. Which would defeat my purpose of doing the balance transfer. Thus I cannot use the Discover It card.

In your case it makes perfect sense... I'm carrying a BT as well on my Discover, and once my new account promo expires I'll either BT the balance to another card or SD my Discover until the BT is PIF. 

My comment was directed at folks who are able to use either card without penalty (i.e. all other things being equal).  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.