Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Card Statement Posted - 3% on everything I bought

tag
BornSupercharged
New Contributor

Marvel Card Statement Posted - 3% on everything I bought

I spent $685.33 in the time I had my Marvel MasterCard, and my "Statement Credit Earned this period" reads as follows:

Dining, Select Entertainment, Marvel.Com (3%)  $18.91

All other purchases (1%) $0.55 

Welcome Statement Credit $25

Total Statement Credit earned this period: $44.46

New Balance $640.87

I love that I don't have to accumulate points and remember to redeem them, they instantly apply what I've earned to the same statement. I don't understand the 55 cents which was for "all other purchases" as I don't have anything for that amount as a charge, but it really doesn't matter.

I bought from:

Amazon.com

Michaels

McDonalds

Cowboy Chicken

Taco Bell

Torchy's Tacos

Grubhub

Chuck e Cheese

Panda Express

I wasn't sure that Grubhub would count but it does. And FWIW, people absolutely love the captain america card, I've never gotten comments on a credit card before and everyone I hand it to says how cool it is. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marvel Card Statement Posted - 3% on everything I bought

@BornSupercharged wrote:

I spent $685.33 in the time I had my Marvel MasterCard, and my "Statement Credit Earned this period" reads as follows:

New Balance $640.87

I love that I don't have to accumulate points and remember to redeem them, they instantly apply what I've earned to the same statement. I don't understand the 55 cents which was for "all other purchases" as I don't have anything for that amount as a charge, but it really doesn't matter.

I bought from:

Amazon.com

Michaels

McDonalds

Cowboy Chicken

Taco Bell

Torchy's Tacos

Grubhub

Chuck e Cheese

Panda Express

I wasn't sure that Grubhub would count but it does. And FWIW, people absolutely love the captain america card, I've never gotten comments on a credit card before and everyone I hand it to says how cool it is. 

Great news. I ordered Captain America too.  It was hard to make a decision which one to get but I'm happy.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BornSupercharged wrote:

New Balance $640.87

I bought from:

Amazon.com

Michaels

McDonalds

Cowboy Chicken

Taco Bell

Torchy's Tacos

Grubhub

Chuck e Cheese

Panda Express

This made me chuckle...don't know why. Now I am going to google it.

Message 3 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@BornSupercharged wrote:

Yes, it would be nice to see every issuer get on board with being transparent with points. Citi and Discover are the same way. They just show you the lump sum total, so it's harder to figure out which transactions were and were not included. 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BornSupercharged wrote:

New Balance $640.87

I bought from:

Amazon.com

Michaels

McDonalds

Cowboy Chicken

Taco Bell

Torchy's Tacos

Grubhub

Chuck e Cheese

Panda Express

Congrats! I'm still toying with the idea of applying.

I can't work out the arithmetic exactly, but I don't think you got 3% on *everything*.  You spent $640.87, and 3% of that would be $19.22, and you got only $18.91 at 3%, which would represent $630.33 in spending, so approximately $10.54 in spending didn't earn the 3%.  But the $.55 you earned at 1% would represent $55 of spending.  Rounding is certainly involved, but that can't explain it all.  So apparently somewhere between $10.54 and $55 earned 1% instead of 3%.  Did you perhaps spend something in that range at Michael's?

Chris.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BornSupercharged wrote:

New Balance $640.87

I bought from:

Amazon.com

Michaels

McDonalds

Cowboy Chicken

Taco Bell

Torchy's Tacos

Grubhub

Chuck e Cheese

Panda Express

That is nice!

Message 6 of 17
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

According to the reward terms for this card, the issuance of the statement credit will be provided within 2 billing cycles.  So, it's good to see that they issued the credit so quickly for the OP.

Question for the OP:  It looks like you also have the Discover it card.  If so, were you conflicted over which card to use for your dining purchases, since you could be earning 5% or 10% back with your Discover card?  This is part of the reason why I'm in no rush to apply for this card right now, assuming that I do end up applying.  I'm also curious to know if this is causing a dilemma for any others who recently received the new Marvel card, but also have the Discover it card.  I suspect that you'd be eager to use the new Marvel card to show it off.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far i've only ran my Netflix account through the marvel. Interesting that it posts as 1% other and not 3% entertainment.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@BornSupercharged wrote:

New Balance $640.87

I bought from:

Amazon.com

Michaels

McDonalds

Cowboy Chicken

Taco Bell

Torchy's Tacos

Grubhub

Chuck e Cheese

Panda Express

Congrats! I'm still toying with the idea of applying.

I can't work out the arithmetic exactly, but I don't think you got 3% on *everything*.  You spent $640.87, and 3% of that would be $19.22, and you got only $18.91 at 3%, which would represent $630.33 in spending, so approximately $10.54 in spending didn't earn the 3%.  But the $.55 you earned at 1% would represent $55 of spending.  Rounding is certainly involved, but that can't explain it all.  So apparently somewhere between $10.54 and $55 earned 1% instead of 3%.  Did you perhaps spend something in that range at Michael's?

Chris.

GO PACK GO! sorry... just had to...

Message 9 of 17
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@BornSupercharged wrote:

New Balance $640.87

I bought from:

Amazon.com

Michaels

McDonalds

Cowboy Chicken

Taco Bell

Torchy's Tacos

Grubhub

Chuck e Cheese

Panda Express

You've got 3% on a lot of things but not everything, and the calc shows it clearly.

$18.91 CB at 3%: The spend is $18.91/0.03 = $630.33 round down to $630.30 (can be anywhere in that range) in the 3% category.

Since you spent exactly $685.33, that means $685.33-$630.33 = $55 was spent in the non-3% category. On that, you earned $55*.01 = $0.55 (exactly as mentioned in the cashback details). Note that because of rounding, it need not be exactly $55, but +/- 10-15 cents or so will still do it. Also, it need not be on one single purchase. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.