Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard/Visa - noticing a pattern.

tag
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

MasterCard/Visa - noticing a pattern.

Figured I would ask about it to see if others are experiencing the same.

I just realized a few weeks ago that I have not held a Visa card in nearly 3 years.  Not for lack of trying - I've gotten a lot of cards since then, but they are all MasterCard.

I know some of the larger banks - Chase, Citibank, Bank of America - are still offering Visa cards.  Question is, why isn't anyone else?  Does it seem to anyone else that Visa cards are starting to become a rare breed?

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: MasterCard/Visa - noticing a pattern.

Practically every financial institution offers Visa.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 2 of 52
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I noticed the same thing.  It seemed like I could only get approved for a mastercard for a long time.  I thought it maybe had something to do with MC being easier to get when you were rebuilding, but that wasn't based on anything other than conjecture (and not sure that it makes any sense).

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 52
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@wmarat wrote:

Practically every financial institution offers Visa.

Last I looked, Wells Fargo does not.  My credit union does not.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 4 of 52
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

I only have 3 credit cards (US bank debit, US bank credit, and Penfed), but I don't have a single Master Card.  All my cards are Visa.

Message 5 of 52
DI
Super Contributor

I have an equal amount with the exception of two AMEX network cards and a Discover network card.  My debit card has always been a Visa. I don't think I've ever seen a debit Mastercard before. 

Message 6 of 52
tburns
Regular Contributor

I really haven't noticed that.

My Wells Fargo and Chase Freedom are both Visa's and my local CU has Visa mainly but haven't apped for it since my Freedom and Discover are still new, didn't want another new account in such a short time. Gotta let the inq age a bit before i apply for another card.

And reading DI's post. I do have 1 MC debit, Paypal Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 52
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Interesting.  Maybe there's some California thing going on.

I've had bank accounts with USAA, Cabrillo, Citibank, Wells Fargo, Washington Mutual, Chase, PayPal and some smaller credit unions.  Of those debit cards, the only Visa I've ever had was over a decade and a half ago, at one of the credit unions.

Credit Cards:
Message 8 of 52
aftermath
Established Contributor

It's all about money.

Whichever network offers the bank the most kickback for using their network (espcially if it's exclusively) is the one the bank will go with.

I remember when Washington Mutual used to be around, I had a VISA debit card, then one day they sent me a MC debit card and then right before Chase bought them, they switched back to a VISA debit card again.  (I think it was a bidding war between VISA and MC).

Penfed got rid of their MC and was exclusively VISA until they came out with their Amex card.

US Bank and B of A are exclusively VISA, minus a couple of their co-branded cards.

It's just like COKE and Pepsi.  Whoever gives the most kick-back to the restaurant chain (McDonalds, Burger King, etc. etc.) is what the restaurant chain will go with.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 9 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have a visa, two mastercards...... never thought about it

Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.