cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard/Visa - noticing a pattern.

tag
carlosg
Valued Member

Re: MasterCard/Visa - noticing a pattern.

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:

I have 9 CCs

2 AMEX

1 Discover

6 Visa

0 MC

I think it's just you, OP.

Flip the page.  You have a bunch of Visa cards and no MasterCards.  That doesn't strike you as odd?

The point of the post is not to isolate MasterCard, but to inquire as to why specific people have a bunch of one brand card and little-to-none of the other.

Following someone else's advice I went to Visa's site.  Every single card - ALL OF THEM - were for the 700+ credit limit crowd.  It wasn't always that way.

Capital one, credit one bank, first premier and many other sub prime lenders offer visa cards

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 52
wmarat
Valued Contributor

11 Visa

6  MC

4 Amex

1 Discover

@thrasher865 wrote:

I have 9 CCs

2 AMEX

1 Discover

6 Visa

0 MC

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 42 of 52
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

@wmarat wrote:

11 Visa

6  MC

4 Amex

1 Discover

@thrasher865 wrote:

I have 9 CCs

2 AMEX

1 Discover

6 Visa

0 MC

Wow. How do you have a big enough wallet to hold 22 cards?! 

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 43 of 52
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@carlosg wrote:

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:

I have 9 CCs

2 AMEX

1 Discover

6 Visa

0 MC

Flip the page.  You have a bunch of Visa cards and no MasterCards.  That doesn't strike you as odd?

The point of the post is not to isolate MasterCard, but to inquire as to why specific people have a bunch of one brand card and little-to-none of the other.

Following someone else's advice I went to Visa's site.  Every single card - ALL OF THEM - were for the 700+ credit limit crowd.  It wasn't always that way.

Capital one, credit one bank, first premier and many other sub prime lenders offer visa cards

Dude, I know that.  I've held each and every one of those at one point or another.

My point is that NOW, when I apply, I always get a MasterCard, even from those who have issued Visas.  Capital One is a perfect example - I have them now, it's a MasterCard.  No matter what card I might apply for, I'm always getting a MasterCard, and can't ever seem to get approved for anything Visa (except obviously First Premier and Credit One, who I have not and will not try), referring to the non-sub-prime card issuers.

@Anonymous wrote:
I see nothing to suggest on the Visa site that all cards they have listed are for the over 700 crowd.

Seriously?

http://usa.visa.com/cardadvisor/CardAdvisor

Name ONE card on there that someone with a 650-690 credit score can feasibly obtain.  And don't you dare say that Capital One card, because I happen to know for a fact that the requirements are not the same as with the Platinum MasterCard.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 44 of 52
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@carlosg wrote:

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:

I have 9 CCs

2 AMEX

1 Discover

6 Visa

0 MC

Dude, I know that.  I've held each and every one of those at one point or another.

My point is that NOW, when I apply, I always get a MasterCard, even from those who have issued Visas.  Capital One is a perfect example - I have them now, it's a MasterCard.  No matter what card I might apply for, I'm always getting a MasterCard, and can't ever seem to get approved for anything Visa (except obviously First Premier and Credit One, who I have not and will not try), referring to the non-sub-prime card issuers.

@Anonymous wrote:
I see nothing to suggest on the Visa site that all cards they have listed are for the over 700 crowd.

Seriously?

Name ONE card on there that someone with a 650-690 credit score can feasibly obtain.  And don't you dare say that Capital One card, because I happen to know for a fact that the requirements are not the same as with the Platinum MasterCard.

My brother got approved for the Chase Slate card as his first credit card. I think he got it like 3 or 4 months ago with a $3k limit. I don't know if him banking with Chase and apping in branch made a difference or not. He by no means had tons of money in his checking account either. Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 45 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@carlosg wrote:

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:

I have 9 CCs

2 AMEX

1 Discover

6 Visa

0 MC

@Anonymous wrote:

Seriously?

Why would you even use that link to imply that on the Visa website Every single card - ALL OF THEM - were for the 700+ credit limit crowd?

The link you provided leads to the Visa Card Advisor, a search engine of sorts that lists only 20 of the thousands of Visa cards on offer by US financial institutions.  Are you trying to tell us that Visa only has 20 cards issued throughout the USA?

On the other hand, http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/credit/apply_standard_credit_cards.jsp lists probably thousands of cards that one can apply for and just a brief glance shows many that can be had by those with some credit challenges.  

In any event, on the list of 20 that  Visa is highlighting, there are two that can be had by people with under 700:

Citi Forward®
- APR 12.99% - 19.99% variable*

In case you have forgotten, the Citi Forward is for people with some credit blemishes.  On this forum there have been people approved with under 700.

JourneySM Student Rewards from Capital One®
- A card designed to help students build good credit

What percentage of students building credit have a 700? 

The simple fact is that whether or not one gets a MasterCard instead of a Visa is because either 1) the bank they apply with has a sweatheart deal with one or the other brands or 2) one applied specifically for a certain branded card. 

Message 46 of 52
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@carlosg wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

i have held this belief that everyone should have a credit card of each of the 4 major netorworks.

thats  [visa]   [mastercard]  [amex]   [discover/diners/jcb/unionpay]

YOU are the 5th network. Man Happy

there is only 3 mayor networks. mc and visa share the same network.

In the U.S. that is true, but apparently MC has several million more merchants worldwide. Apparently the difference is in Central and South America.

Message 47 of 52
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i don't see MasterCard linked with Visa in my opinion. i don't know how that would be. when i mean network, i mean major card type as well.

5 MasterCard

2 Visa

2 Discover

1 Amex

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 48 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stan_the_man wrote:

@carlosg wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

i have held this belief that everyone should have a credit card of each of the 4 major netorworks.

thats  [visa]   [mastercard]  [amex]   [discover/diners/jcb/unionpay]

YOU are the 5th network. Man Happy

there is only 3 mayor networks. mc and visa share the same network.

In the U.S. that is true, but apparently MC has several million more merchants worldwide. Apparently the difference is in Central and South America.

I have read reports where actually the biggest network in the world is China UnionPay with about 270 million merchants worldwide, about 95% of which are in the Greater China area.  Since Discover has a strategic alliance with UnionPay, Discover is accepted over the UnionPay network as though it were a UnionPay-issued card.

I think Visa / MC only claim 24 million merchants. 

Message 49 of 52
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

@way2evil wrote:

@carlosg wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@mmduluth wrote:

Just to add to this list, SunTrust's debit cards are MC.

Oh, that's right! A friend of mine has one. It's the only debit MC that I've ever seen.

Chase debit cards are mastercard,

Chase debit cards are visas.

There are both.  My Chase debit card is a Mastercard.

USAA World MasterCard - $14,500
American Express SPG - $20,000
NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig - $20,000
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa - $5,000
Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.