cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard with no foreign travel fees?

tag
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Re: MasterCard with no foreign travel fees?

@cottoncrown wrote:
I lived in Canada my whole life until two years ago. Anywhere that takes MasterCard, will also take Visa. If you are just getting the card because of acceptance, don't bother. Focus on getting a Visa/ or MC with chip/PIN. You won't find many places that will swipe with signature anymore as of the last few years. Maybe in smaller cities or in a taxi.

On that note, is there a chip & PIN MasterCard?

Message 11 of 17
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@cottoncrown wrote:
I lived in Canada my whole life until two years ago. Anywhere that takes MasterCard, will also take Visa. If you are just getting the card because of acceptance, don't bother. Focus on getting a Visa/ or MC with chip/PIN. You won't find many places that will swipe with signature anymore as of the last few years. Maybe in smaller cities or in a taxi.

Look into whether the new citi thank you cards are.  I have one mine doesnt have it but the newer ones might.

Message 12 of 17
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

I forgot you also don't want FTF you might want to check into that also.

Message 13 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@cottoncrown wrote:

Look into whether the new citi thank you cards are.  I have one mine doesnt have it but the newer ones might.

Thank you (with EMV) are all Chip&Sig.

There are some posts suggesting that USAA has a by-request Chip&Pin MC, but can't  verify that.

Message 14 of 17
brokenpipe
Established Member

Check out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE#gid=0

It is a document maintained by some members on flyertalk.com (forums for folks that travel *a lot*).

Chip&Pin is a pain to get, unfortunately this is one area the US has not been very quick at adopting. 

763 Experian / 770 Equifax / 790 TU

AMEX Blue (AU) - 25K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 23K | AMEX TrueEarnings - 22.5K | BoA Alaska Air Sig Visa - 20K | Chase Slate - 9K | Barclaycard Ring - 6.3K | Citi Thank You Premier - 5K | Discover IT - 5K | Amazon Visa Rewards - 4K
Message 15 of 17
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Honestly I don't really remember, I'm not sure if chip and sig will work or not. I think most hotels and those type of places can swipe but as I remember a lot of restaurants were starting to bring the little chip pad to the table. They may have a swipe option though, all banks in Canada required chip cards at that point so I never tried myself. This was in Vancouver approx. two years ago.
Message 16 of 17
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Funny enough, the business where I work now sometimes gets Canadian tourists passing through and I catch them trying to insert their chip cards into the self-swipe. They seem to have forgotten how to swipe their cards!
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.