Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastercard Concierge - Funny Salutation

tag
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Mastercard Concierge - Funny Salutation

I was just playing around Mastercard's Concierge website the other day. I'm looking at making a request for travel planning. I noticed under salutations, it had the usual "Mr. Miss, Mrs. Dr." etc... But also had "Master". I was so tempted to use the Master salutation. When they call me on the phone they always call me "Mr. xxx". I think it would be funny if they called me Master.

This is the first time I've noticed an option for "Master" for salutation. Is this the norm? Maybe because its the MASTERcard's site.

photo 2.JPG

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Mastercard Concierge - Interesting Salutation

Once upon a time, and sometimes in Europe still, Master was the salutation for a lawyer.

Side note - In one of my current cases, I'm dealing with a disbarred attorney who has taken to introducing himself as "Doctor."  True, every lawyer has a Juris Doctor degree, but it's still stupid.

Message 2 of 11
Imua
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mastercard Concierge - Funny Salutation

"master" is a title for young boys, but i sure haven't heard it used for, well, decades.

Message 3 of 11
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@Imua wrote:

"master" is a title for young boys, but i sure haven't heard it used for, well, decades.

You boys don't use credit cards...

Pretty interesting info here. Learning.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 4 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

Accordingto wiki european (Frrench?) use this term for a lawyer

Message 5 of 11
Imua
Frequent Contributor

"Miss" is the proper form of address for female children. "Master"  was previously used in formal situations for addressing boys typically aged under 16, after which it is "Mr". "Master" in this case is of old English origin.

~from  wikipedia (salutation)  

Message 6 of 11
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

"master" is also the male form of the much more commonly used word "mistress".

Granted, that has nothing to do with salutations, but figured I would share a little knowledge.

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: Discover TU: 829 Discover EX: 827
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 830!!
Message 7 of 11
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

@Imua wrote:

You boys don't use credit cards...

Pretty interesting info here. Learning.

Sure they do. When I was younger I was commonly addressed as master, and I was also an AU on several of my parents cards. It's possible but like Imua said, I don't think it's very common especially nowadays.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Imua wrote:

My grandmother would put "Master" on the birthday cards she gave me until I turned eighteen (four years ago). When I was like ten or eleven I thought it was awesome and loved getting the cards. Service/waiting staff also used it when I was younger.

Message 9 of 11
beb86
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@Imua wrote:

My grandmother would put "Master" on the birthday cards she gave me until I turned eighteen (four years ago). When I was like ten or eleven I thought it was awesome and loved getting the cards. Service/waiting staff also used it when I was younger.

my grandparents do this too on all the cards the send my son

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.