Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastercard and Visa Lawsuit settlement and Retailer Surcharges

tag
Essence
Contributor

Re: Mastercard and Visa Lawsuit settlement and Retailer Surcharges

Doesn't hurt to voice your comments good or bad to management. If enough people do it, maybe that store will change back.
Message 11 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

I just noticed that my little local grocery store is going to charge 25 cents to use the debit or credit card there.  I'm going to find a new local grocery store for my morning coffee and odds and ends.  I wonder if I should tell them how I feel since I spend a good deal there as the month goes by?

Tell them. In fact debit card swipe fee is capped at 12 cents, so question why a swipe fee of 25 cents.

Message 12 of 19
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So basically if I walk to the front entrance of a store and read they charge extra for credit cards, I keep on walking.

Terrible news and I will do the same. In fact I keep on walking when I see "cash only" signs.

Message 13 of 19
CaptKirk
Established Member

I suspect this could impact rewards cards in a negatie way. Rewards are going to get smaller if the swipe fees go down.

Message 14 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@CaptKirk wrote:

I suspect this could impact rewards cards in a negatie way. Rewards are going to get smaller if the swipe fees go down.

In the case of debit card, most debit card no longer has reward program.

Here however, merchants supposedly want to pass swipe fee on to consumer.

Message 15 of 19
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

That would be super stinky if they were to do that, but I am noticing that a lot of small businesses are starting to charge customers the costs they pay for us using our cards at their establishment.  Like our local barbershop. Just really smelly business for a society that wants to get away from people carrying cash and writing checks.talk to the hand

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 19
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Heard on the radio this morning that it costs businesses 13 percent PER TRANSACTION to use Visa/MC - wish they'd give a 13 percent cash discount - then no one would be using cc's - Paypal is only charging 8% so a lot of small business just go with them.    I had no idea.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 17 of 19
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

Heard on the radio this morning that it costs businesses 13 percent PER TRANSACTION to use Visa/MC - wish they'd give a 13 percent cash discount - then no one would be using cc's - Paypal is only charging 8% so a lot of small business just go with them.    I had no idea.

Don't believe everything you hear on the radio, since that's not true. You can google the interchange fees for each card type/level, and it's nowhere near 13%.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 18 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

Radio host lied. No swipe fee would be as high as 13%. Even PayPal charges only 2.9% + $0.30 (5% if transaction volume is $5 or less).

Square at most charges 3.5% for online/phone transaction.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.