Did you mean: 

Mastercard options

tag
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mastercard options

@SnackTrader wrote:
Let us approach this a different way:

What do you mean when you say your school doesn't take Visa?

They don't take it for tuition? Or for anything? What are you buying from your school?

I had to pay for partial of my tution and some parking tickets online and they only accept like Mastercard, Discover, and some others that I never heard of. All my CC and check card are visa, Amex, and discover. Ended up paying with my Discover and increase my utilization %, but I realized I need to get a MC just incase something like this happens again and plus MC are accepted more globally than visa. 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 11 of 19
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Interesting.

Well my suggestion is to hold off on a PC for now if you don't see this type of event happening again, or if you can use your Discover. Your problem is really the credit limit on the Discover rather than the need for a MasterCard.

Do whatever you think is best, but it seems worth it to wait until you are ready to add a new account rather than ditch one of the best rewards cards offered today.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 12 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@CredittotheMax wrote:

Not looking to open another account.

If that's your biggest concern then PC.

@CredittotheMax wrote:

I'm just worry if they don't offer the mastercard version anymore because they took it off of mastercard's website.

Don't rely on that.  CSP wasn't on the MC site when I apped for it.

@SnackTrader wrote:

Well my suggestion is to hold off on a PC for now if you don't see this type of event happening again, or if you can use your Discover. 

I'd recommend this as well.  Overall utilization is a bigger issue than individual card utilization IMO.

Message 13 of 19
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

It's not much different from VISa vs Master right ????? Most the place accept VISA they also accept MAster too....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 14 of 19
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Here's the thing, discover was enough to cover partial of my summer tuition. I need to pay 1700-2000 this upcoming fall and discover is not gonna cut it. I was originally gonna get freedom which would be used with discover to pay for it. Since it's not available, Citi PC is my best bet. 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
Message 15 of 19
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

It's not much different from VISa vs Master right ????? Most the place accept VISA they also accept MAster too....

Sometimes the processor will offer a better deal on one over the other and the merchant will decline to accept the one with higher processing fees.  Illinois Driving Facilities don't accept Visa either.    

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 16 of 19
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

Sometimes the processor will offer a better deal on one over the other and the merchant will decline to accept the one with higher processing fees.  Illinois Driving Facilities don't accept Visa either.    

Agree, having mastercard and visa is more convenient. Especially, I travel out of country a lot and china seems to accept mastercard more than visa. 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
Message 17 of 19
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@CredittotheMax wrote:

Originally I was gonna app for the chase freedom mastercard, but it seems like they discontinued it.

By default they only give out the Visa version. After you get the card, you can call in and have them switch you over to the MC version. I confirmed this myself last week when I called up Chase to take care of an unrelated issue.

I thought Visa and M/C were interchangeable...I have yet to see a store that takes one and not the other...Smiley Frustrated

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 18 of 19
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

I know Sam's club didn't used to take Visa CCs but I haven't been there in a couple of years. Tim Hortons used to only take MCs, not sure if they changed that either. The Olympics only take Visa and if you're from Illinois the DMV only takes MC. That's off the top of my head I know there must be more.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.