Reply
Established Contributor
LesWH
Posts: 608
Registered: ‎10-11-2012
0

Mastercard

I just realized that I have several Visas, American Expresses, and 1 Discover.  I have only 1 Mastercard from Capital One.  What would be another good Mastercard to add to my portfolio and why?


NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014






Frequent Contributor
ilovelisa
Posts: 420
Registered: ‎12-07-2012
0

Re: Mastercard

 


LesWH wrote:

I just realized that I have several Visas, American Expresses, and 1 Discover.  I have only 1 Mastercard from Capital One.  What would be another good Mastercard to add to my portfolio and why?


Instead of apping for a new card, you could call chase and have them convert your freedom to Mastercard.

Amex BCE $4,800 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Chase Freedom VS $10,000 | Chase Marriott Premier VS $5,000 | DCU $1,000 | Discover It $1,900 | Elan VS $9,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500 | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $5,000 | SallieMae Rewards $8,000
Contributor
hardworkrebuilding
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎12-09-2012
0

Re: Mastercard

That's funny I just started a similar thread because I didn't have any MC's.  I just had Chase switch my Freedom to MC so I didn't app for a new acct.  Looking to stay in the Garden until at least April 2013. To be quite honest, I don't see how what payment network your account is has any impact on your portfolio.  That is determined by age of the acct and CL.  Payment network just adds versatility and convenience.  I could be wrong though.

FICO EQ 737 06/22/13 || FICO TU 753 (Discover pull 1/20/13)
MC: Chase Freedom 6K, Citi AA World 10.9K, Paypal Extras 10K
Visa/ Visa Signature: Slate 22.9K, Marriott Rewards Premier 10K
AMEX: BCE 10K, SPG 22.5K
Discover: IT 6K

Frequent Contributor
Sweets8E
Posts: 262
Registered: ‎03-07-2009
0

Re: Mastercard

Yah, I'd just call to see about having one or two converted into a Mastercard. No need to apply for something new if that's the only thing that bothers you about your portfolio.


Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
LesWH
Posts: 608
Registered: ‎10-11-2012
0

Re: Mastercard


ilovelisa wrote:

 


LesWH wrote:

I just realized that I have several Visas, American Expresses, and 1 Discover.  I have only 1 Mastercard from Capital One.  What would be another good Mastercard to add to my portfolio and why?


Instead of apping for a new card, you could call chase and have them convert your freedom to Mastercard.


Will they do that?  That is a great idea!!  Are the benefits still the same as the Visa?  Will I still get my 10 & 10 that I get now under the old rewards plan?  I don't want to lose that and have to go to the new one.


NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014






Frequent Contributor
Sweets8E
Posts: 262
Registered: ‎03-07-2009
0

Re: Mastercard


hardworkrebuilding wrote:

That's funny I just started a similar thread because I didn't have any MC's.  I just had Chase switch my Freedom to MC so I didn't app for a new acct.  Looking to stay in the Garden until at least April 2013. To be quite honest, I don't see how what payment network your account is has any impact on your portfolio.  That is determined by age of the acct and CL.  Payment network just adds versatility and convenience.  I could be wrong though.


I started asking for MasterCards over Visa because once I went to a Sam's club and they told me they wouldn't accept a Visa. I thought, wow maybe I need to rethink how I select my cards. I don't know why, but I've always just leaned toward a Visa until that incident.


Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Contributor
hardworkrebuilding
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎12-09-2012
0

Re: Mastercard

[ Edited ]

I was told earlier today when I did the exact switch that all of the benefits related to Freedom stay the same.

 

edited for spelling

FICO EQ 737 06/22/13 || FICO TU 753 (Discover pull 1/20/13)
MC: Chase Freedom 6K, Citi AA World 10.9K, Paypal Extras 10K
Visa/ Visa Signature: Slate 22.9K, Marriott Rewards Premier 10K
AMEX: BCE 10K, SPG 22.5K
Discover: IT 6K

Frequent Contributor
ilovelisa
Posts: 420
Registered: ‎12-07-2012
0

Re: Mastercard

[ Edited ]

LesWH wrote:

ilovelisa wrote:

 


LesWH wrote:

I just realized that I have several Visas, American Expresses, and 1 Discover.  I have only 1 Mastercard from Capital One.  What would be another good Mastercard to add to my portfolio and why?


Instead of apping for a new card, you could call chase and have them convert your freedom to Mastercard.


Will they do that?  That is a great idea!!  Are the benefits still the same as the Visa?  Will I still get my 10 & 10 that I get now under the old rewards plan?  I don't want to lose that and have to go to the new one.


I don't have any Chase cards, but I hear many other people saying that Chase is glad to do it.  

Amex BCE $4,800 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Chase Freedom VS $10,000 | Chase Marriott Premier VS $5,000 | DCU $1,000 | Discover It $1,900 | Elan VS $9,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500 | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $5,000 | SallieMae Rewards $8,000
Established Contributor
adavis425
Posts: 522
Registered: ‎02-14-2012
0

Re: Mastercard

I was in the same boat, but didn't want another account. I simply sent NFCU a secure message and had them switch my Platinum Visa to a Platinum MC. Two emails later, it was done. One week later I had the card in hand. Switching was preferrable to opening a new account (and taking the inquiry).

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP


Frequent Contributor
ilovelisa
Posts: 420
Registered: ‎12-07-2012
0

Re: Mastercard


adavis425 wrote:

I was in the same boat, but didn't want another account. I simply sent NFCU a secure message and had them switch my Platinum Visa to a Platinum MC. Two emails later, it was done. One week later I had the card in hand. Switching was preferrable to opening a new account (and taking the inquiry).


I wish BofA was that easy. I called about my Cash Rewards Card, to convert from Visa to Mastercard, from what they told me, and other postings on here, it takes them a total of 4 weeks to change the account name online, and a week after that you will get your new card.

Amex BCE $4,800 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Chase Freedom VS $10,000 | Chase Marriott Premier VS $5,000 | DCU $1,000 | Discover It $1,900 | Elan VS $9,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500 | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $5,000 | SallieMae Rewards $8,000

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}