Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastercard

tag
LesWH
Established Contributor

Mastercard

I just realized that I have several Visas, American Expresses, and 1 Discover.  I have only 1 Mastercard from Capital One.  What would be another good Mastercard to add to my portfolio and why?

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Re: Mastercard

@LesWH wrote:

I just realized that I have several Visas, American Expresses, and 1 Discover.  I have only 1 Mastercard from Capital One.  What would be another good Mastercard to add to my portfolio and why?

Instead of apping for a new card, you could call chase and have them convert your freedom to Mastercard.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 2 of 15
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

That's funny I just started a similar thread because I didn't have any MC's.  I just had Chase switch my Freedom to MC so I didn't app for a new acct.  Looking to stay in the Garden until at least April 2013. To be quite honest, I don't see how what payment network your account is has any impact on your portfolio.  That is determined by age of the acct and CL.  Payment network just adds versatility and convenience.  I could be wrong though.

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 3 of 15
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

Yah, I'd just call to see about having one or two converted into a Mastercard. No need to apply for something new if that's the only thing that bothers you about your portfolio.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 15
LesWH
Established Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

Instead of apping for a new card, you could call chase and have them convert your freedom to Mastercard.

Will they do that?  That is a great idea!!  Are the benefits still the same as the Visa?  Will I still get my 10 & 10 that I get now under the old rewards plan?  I don't want to lose that and have to go to the new one.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 5 of 15
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

@hardworkrebuilding wrote:

That's funny I just started a similar thread because I didn't have any MC's.  I just had Chase switch my Freedom to MC so I didn't app for a new acct.  Looking to stay in the Garden until at least April 2013. To be quite honest, I don't see how what payment network your account is has any impact on your portfolio.  That is determined by age of the acct and CL.  Payment network just adds versatility and convenience.  I could be wrong though.

I started asking for MasterCards over Visa because once I went to a Sam's club and they told me they wouldn't accept a Visa. I thought, wow maybe I need to rethink how I select my cards. I don't know why, but I've always just leaned toward a Visa until that incident.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 15
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

I was told earlier today when I did the exact switch that all of the benefits related to Freedom stay the same.

edited for spelling

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 7 of 15
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

Will they do that?  That is a great idea!!  Are the benefits still the same as the Visa?  Will I still get my 10 & 10 that I get now under the old rewards plan?  I don't want to lose that and have to go to the new one.

I don't have any Chase cards, but I hear many other people saying that Chase is glad to do it.  

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 8 of 15
adavis425
Established Contributor

I was in the same boat, but didn't want another account. I simply sent NFCU a secure message and had them switch my Platinum Visa to a Platinum MC. Two emails later, it was done. One week later I had the card in hand. Switching was preferrable to opening a new account (and taking the inquiry).

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 15
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

I was in the same boat, but didn't want another account. I simply sent NFCU a secure message and had them switch my Platinum Visa to a Platinum MC. Two emails later, it was done. One week later I had the card in hand. Switching was preferrable to opening a new account (and taking the inquiry).

I wish BofA was that easy. I called about my Cash Rewards Card, to convert from Visa to Mastercard, from what they told me, and other postings on here, it takes them a total of 4 weeks to change the account name online, and a week after that you will get your new card.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.