Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max # Of Personal Amex CCs

tag
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Max # Of Personal Amex CCs

So, I decided to take advantage of the current 30K Sky Miles offer for the Amex Gold Delta for DW and myself last night so that I could add two 11 year old trade lines (1 au, 1 non-au)  for DW -- to keep her AAoA high after she apped and received the 80K ThankYou point offer on the Citi ThankYou Premier.

DW got an instant decision, and she even got a CLI on Blue 5 minutes later last night from $12K to $20K.

I on the the other hand got an "In Progress" message.

I called Amex and their new accounts CSR said that I needed to speak to their reallocation department. The reallocation department said that Amex has a limit to the number of personal CCs (excluding charge cards) of 4, and that I needed to close one of my CCs in order to get the card.

After confirming I was eligible for the bonus still, I obliged but instead tried to close my Premier Rewards Gold card. The reallocation CSR said that if I did that, I would still need to close a CC -- so I didn't close the Gold card. Instead I closed my original Blue Cash card that had just a $2K limit (after I reallocated it when I sockdrawered it earlier this year).

I don't know if Amex was trying to cover for the fact that they didn't want to offer me more than $43K in combined credit limits, or if Amex really has a hard limit of 4 personal CCs.

Assuming they didn't BS me, it appears that Amex has a limit of 4 personal credit cards per cardholder.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Max # Of Personal Amex CCs

That is interesting... I managed 5 accounts in my fathers name (1 charge and 4 credit cards), but he also had 3 Business (2 credit cards, 1 charge)

I know the $43k you talk about isn't the reason, because he use to have almost 70k.

Message 2 of 13
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

That is interesting... I managed 5 accounts in my fathers name (1 charge and 4 credit cards), but he also had 3 Business (2 credit cards, 1 charge)

I know the $43k you talk about isn't the reason, because he use to have almost 70k.

I really think there is a four credit card limit, since I found a couple of other mentions of the 4 CC limit via Google on this and a couple of other credit sites. All the examples of people having more than four trade lines had at least one charge card -- including myself.

Message 3 of 13
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

The reallocation department said that Amex has a limit to the number of personal CCs (excluding charge cards) of 4, and that I needed to close one of my CCs in order to get the card.

Assuming they didn't BS me, it appears that Amex has a limit of 4 personal credit cards per cardholder.

Well.. that explains why I still have the "In Progress" status for the App I put in for the Clear (5th personal AmEx Revolver) on Sunday.

Though: I wonder if that's what's holding up my Hilton Honors (4th personal AmEx Revolver) App (also App'd on Sunday). 

Note: I was approved for the BCE  (3rd personal AmEx Revolver) on Sunday.

Yes..  I was tryng to triple-tap AmEx with 1 INQ. Smiley Happy

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 4 of 13
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

I called Amex and their new accounts CSR said that I needed to speak to their reallocation department. 

Did they trransfer you directly, or give you a number to call? If they had you call, what # did they provide? 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 5 of 13
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Odiseous wrote:

I called Amex and their new accounts CSR said that I needed to speak to their reallocation department. 

Did they trransfer you directly, or give you a number to call? If they had you call, what # did they provide? 

They transfered me after I called the number on the app status page (beneath the statuses).

Message 6 of 13
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Odiseous wrote:

The reallocation department said that Amex has a limit to the number of personal CCs (excluding charge cards) of 4, and that I needed to close one of my CCs in order to get the card.

Well.. that explains why I still have the "In Progress" status for the App I put in for the Clear (5th personal AmEx Revolver) on Sunday.

Though: I wonder if that's what's holding up my Hilton Honors (4th personal AmEx Revolver) App (also App'd on Sunday). 

Note: I was approved for the BCE  (3rd personal AmEx Revolver) on Sunday.

Yes..  I was tryng to triple-tap AmEx with 1 INQ. Smiley Happy

IME I have never had a Hard INQ  for another amex product since my original card. Presently have 3 revolvers and 2 charge cards wih them. Not sure if the reason being I was pre-approved before accepting any of the additional cards afterwards.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 7 of 13
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

JM-AM -- I've been HP for every single one of my cards, even when logged in. They always HP for new app. Maybe you've been very lucky to only get softs.  

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 8 of 13
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@ArisGreek wrote:

JM-AM -- I've been HP for every single one of my cards, even when logged in. They always HP for new app. Maybe you've been very lucky to only get softs.  

Im not disagreeing that is for sure! Smiley Wink

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 9 of 13
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@JM-AM wrote:

@ArisGreek wrote:

Im not disagreeing that is for sure! Smiley Wink

DW and I both had HPs for every new card. It would be amazing to be able to get a backdated card with no inquiry from Amex -- I'd never abuse that privilege.Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.