Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max points for Amazon purchases?

tag
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

Max points for Amazon purchases?

I buy a TON of stuff at Amazon.  (And I really get my money's worth out of my Prime membership.)

I get points with my Arrival+ for those purchases, but are there any cards out there especially generous with Amazon purchases?  I think I've seen a couple mentioned but which one is the best with the most flexible rewards?

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Re: Max points for Amazon purchases?

Most of these are cash back

* Sallie Mae gets you 5% up to $750 per month all year round

* Chase Freedom gets you 5% up to $1,500 the 4th quarter of the year

* Discover gets you 5% up to $1,5000 the 4th quarter of the year (its better to use this for other sites since you get 5% on ALL online shopping)

* Cash+ may have a 5% category Amazon fits in YMMV

* Amazon Visa gets you 3% all year round, no caps.

* Citi Double Cash gets you 2% cash back

Message 2 of 48
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@LexieCat wrote:

I buy a TON of stuff at Amazon.  (And I really get my money's worth out of my Prime membership.)

I get points with my Arrival+ for those purchases, but are there any cards out there especially generous with Amazon purchases?  I think I've seen a couple mentioned but which one is the best with the most flexible rewards?

Sallie Mae and also this.. there used to be a promo with GE/Synchrony regarding the store card -- it was an unlimited 5% cash back on all purchases that were paid in full. Haven't seen it active lately, but I have a picture of the offer in my profile.

Message 3 of 48
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

Someone posted on another site that the Chase Amazon card charges interest from the date of purchase, so that interest is being charged even when the card is PIF.  I can't imagine that's true--the poster claimed he called Chase to inquire and was told that.  Anyone here have the card who can confirm no interest when PIF?

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 4 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@LexieCat wrote:

Someone posted on another site that the Chase Amazon card charges interest from the date of purchase, so that interest is being charged even when the card is PIF.  I can't imagine that's true--the poster claimed he called Chase to inquire and was told that.  Anyone here have the card who can confirm no interest when PIF?

It's a normal Chase credit card with the standard grace period.   So if you are a carrying a balance, then interest from purchase date (like other cards) but not if you PIF.

But if you spend a lot, go for the Sallie Mae (good for $9K a year) or Cash Plus, which is $8K a year shared with another 5% category.  I assume you don't have the Citi Forward, which is probably the best Amazon card, but not obtainable for new users.

Message 5 of 48
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@LexieCat wrote:

Chase's terms read

Your due date will be a minimum of 21 days after the close of each billing cycle. We will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month. We will begin charging interest on balance transfers, cash advances, and overdraft advances on the transaction date.
Message 6 of 48
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@LexieCat wrote:

Yes, all the good ones are in my signature Smiley Wink

Cash+ ($2000 per quarter), Sallie Mae Mastercard ($750 per month). And in 4th quarter only Discover IT and Freedom.

You can of course use any of these to purchase Amazon.com gift cards from amazon.com, which you will get a 5% cash back on, and then use the gift card for future purchases. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:
Yes, all the good ones are in my signature Smiley Wink

Cash+ ($2000 per quarter), Sallie Mae Mastercard ($750 per month). And in 4th quarter only Discover IT and Freedom.

You can of course use any of these to purchase Amazon.com gift cards from amazon.com, which you will get a 5% cash back on, and then use the gift card for future purchases. 

Delayed MS? Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Discover it for Amazon purchases this quarter. Once I go over 1500 dollars (will in 20-30 days) for the quarter, I will switch to the Sallie Mae card for December. As others have stated, Discover It and Chase Freedom both offer 5% for Amazon this quarter (Chase Freedom is best if you have the CSP or another Chase rewards points card) since you can transfer the 5% cash to points. 

The Sallie Mae card is 750 per month for bookstores. Some Amazon purchases code as bookstore, but not all. I use it as my general Amazon card, but technically I'd be better off if I split my Amazon purchases between the Sallie Mae card and a second 2-5% Amazon card once the Discover/Freedom quarter is over. This is because the Sallie Mae card is only 1% for Amazon purchases that don't code as bookstore. As a rule of thumb, if it is sold directly by Amazon (not just fulfillment by Amazon) the sale should code as Bookstore. If the seller is anyone but Amazon, it might code as something else. For those willing to change the card used for each transaction, using the Sallie Mae for "sold by Amazon" products for the first 750 and using another card for other Amazon purchases is probably most efficient. But I am too lazy to do that and just charge all my Amazon purchases to Sallie Mae card most of the year (other than now when Discover is 5% till 1500 for all Amazon purchases). 

Message 9 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I use Discover it for Amazon purchases this quarter. Once I go over 1500 dollars (will in 20-30 days) for the quarter, I will switch to the Sallie Mae card for December. As others have stated, Discover It and Chase Freedom both offer 5% for Amazon this quarter (Chase Freedom is best if you have the CSP or another Chase rewards points card) since you can transfer the 5% cash to points. 

The Sallie Mae card is 750 per month for bookstores. Some Amazon purchases code as bookstore, but not all. I use it as my general Amazon card, but technically I'd be better off if I split my Amazon purchases between the Sallie Mae card and a second 2-5% Amazon card once the Discover/Freedom quarter is over. This is because the Sallie Mae card is only 1% for Amazon purchases that don't code as bookstore. As a rule of thumb, if it is sold directly by Amazon (not just fulfillment by Amazon) the sale should code as Bookstore. If the seller is anyone but Amazon, it might code as something else. For those willing to change the card used for each transaction, using the Sallie Mae for "sold by Amazon" products for the first 750 and using another card for other Amazon purchases is probably most efficient. But I am too lazy to do that and just charge all my Amazon purchases to Sallie Mae card most of the year (other than now when Discover is 5% till 1500 for all Amazon purchases). 

Would it code under bookstore if you made purchases off a Kindle? Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.