Did you mean: 

Max points for Amazon purchases?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Max points for Amazon purchases?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I use Discover it for Amazon purchases this quarter. Once I go over 1500 dollars (will in 20-30 days) for the quarter, I will switch to the Sallie Mae card for December. As others have stated, Discover It and Chase Freedom both offer 5% for Amazon this quarter (Chase Freedom is best if you have the CSP or another Chase rewards points card) since you can transfer the 5% cash to points. 

The Sallie Mae card is 750 per month for bookstores. Some Amazon purchases code as bookstore, but not all. I use it as my general Amazon card, but technically I'd be better off if I split my Amazon purchases between the Sallie Mae card and a second 2-5% Amazon card once the Discover/Freedom quarter is over. This is because the Sallie Mae card is only 1% for Amazon purchases that don't code as bookstore. As a rule of thumb, if it is sold directly by Amazon (not just fulfillment by Amazon) the sale should code as Bookstore. If the seller is anyone but Amazon, it might code as something else. For those willing to change the card used for each transaction, using the Sallie Mae for "sold by Amazon" products for the first 750 and using another card for other Amazon purchases is probably most efficient. But I am too lazy to do that and just charge all my Amazon purchases to Sallie Mae card most of the year (other than now when Discover is 5% till 1500 for all Amazon purchases). 

Would it code under bookstore if you made purchases off a Kindle? Smiley Tongue

It better! Smiley Tongue

I have not bought any books for the Kindle in many years, so I can't say for sure, but Kindle books are sold by Amazon (I assume) and if my other Amazon purchases code as bookstore, the Kindle books better do the same! 

Message 11 of 48
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

Crap--it looks like Cash+ can only be applied for in the branch, and there are none here (I live in South Jersey).  I really need something good for year-round use, and the thought of buying a bunch of Amazon gift cards makes me a little nervous--I know some card issuers frown on that.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LexieCat wrote:

Crap--it looks like Cash+ can only be applied for in the branch, and there are none here (I live in South Jersey).  I really need something good for year-round use, and the thought of buying a bunch of Amazon gift cards makes me a little nervous--I know some card issuers frown on that.

Isn't that the card that's nerfing everything?

Message 13 of 48
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

Sorry, "nerfing" isn't a term I'm familiar with.  Enlighten me?

Any thoughts on the Chase Amazon Rewards card?  It's three percent...

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LexieCat wrote:

Sorry, "nerfing" isn't a term I'm familiar with.  Enlighten me?

Any thoughts on the Chase Amazon Rewards card?  It's three percent...

Reduction of rewards.

Message 15 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@LexieCat wrote:

If you search, a lot of people have been able to apply for the Cash Plus over the phone (just not online)

Also, what is your spend?   Sallie Mae is $750 a month through out the year, Cash PLus is $2000 per quarter, so if you buy expensive things (> $750) you would be better with Cash Plus, or have to buy the gift cards each month with the Sallie Mae.   Issuers usually don't have an issue with this sort of gift card.

The Chase card is fine, but gives just 3%, which is a major drawback

Message 16 of 48
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

SallieMae seems "iffy" in terms of what would qualify as a "bookstore" purchase.  The terms and conditions basically sound like you use it at your own risk on Amazon.   The Amazon Rewards card sounds a lot more definite.

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 17 of 48
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

OK, I bit on the Amazon Rewards Visa.  I wasn't going to apply for any more cards for a while, but I spend SO much at Amazon I wanted to at least get a bit more in the way of rewards for those purchases.  The $60 gift card for signup was nice, and I like that it applies to ALL Amazon.com purchases, including Marketplace purchases, downloads, and Prime membership.  I've always had a good relationship with Chase, so I feel more comfortable with that than dealing with USBank (even if I could apply over the phone). And as I said, SallieMae seemed a little too vague about which purchases would qualify.  

I only got a $5k CL, but that is more than enough for my usage, and I imagine that may go up over time.  If I buy anything THAT expensive, chances are I would be putting it on my Amazon store card with a free financing offer.

OK, now that's REALLY it for apps for right now.  May go for the CSP next summer before my vacation.  By then, my balances should all be mostly paid off, my scores higher, etc.

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!

Been thinking about getting that myself, but I haven't run into many issues with the Sallie Mae. But it is in the prospects.

Message 19 of 48
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@LexieCat wrote:

SallieMae seems "iffy" in terms of what would qualify as a "bookstore" purchase.  The terms and conditions basically sound like you use it at your own risk on Amazon.   The Amazon Rewards card sounds a lot more definite.

Little too late, but I have had no issue with Amazon purchases receving the 5% on the SM.  I've purchased from Amazon, Fulfilled by Amazon & Marketplace, and received 5% on all of them.  The only thing I didn't receive the 5% on was my Prime renewal.

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.