Max points for Amazon purchases?

tag
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Re: Max points for Amazon purchases?

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@LexieCat wrote:

SallieMae seems "iffy" in terms of what would qualify as a "bookstore" purchase.  The terms and conditions basically sound like you use it at your own risk on Amazon.   The Amazon Rewards card sounds a lot more definite.

Since I came to this site, learned about, and got the SM WMC several months ago, I have sock drawered the Chase Amazon rewards card.  There is no sense in taking a 40% reduction in rewards (5% vs 3%). The 5% off gas and groceries just makes this card practically impossible to beat for those that can stay within the limits. Every purchase I have  made has received rewards. Whether it be Amazon or associate seller.  I'm sure there are gift cards or digital purchases that may be exempt, but so far, nothing has been without the 5%.

While I agree with what you said, in this case they don't have a choice. Since they apparently just obtained an Arrival+ from Barclays, they will need to wait at least 3-4 months, and ideally 6 months, before applying for another barclay card.

I realize when replying to an early posting amongst 30 or something, that the OP probably has the answer already. Perhaps my post will aid someone using search or reading this thread later....   Sallie Mae kicks Chase/Amazon butt.

btw.... really like your charts! Must be work to keep them updated and current tho.

Message 41 of 48
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

Turbobuick wrote: 
I wonder.... does the Chase/Amazon rewards get 3% back on the $99 annual fee? For 3 bucks, I'll switch my Prime preferences.  Smiley Wink

Yup, it does.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 42 of 48
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

So kindle book purchases don't get 5% off any card, sallies Mae only, or it's just not tested? (Have 3 kindles and one kindle fire). What about app purchases?
Signature needs updating
Message 43 of 48
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

Well, this sucks.  Not that it's a huge deal in terms of lost benefit, but annoying nevertheless.  

When I applied for the Amazon Rewards card yesterday, I received a message that the card could be used immediately, and that Amazon would automatically set it as the default card for purchases at the site.

Today, I went to purchase a print-at-home gift card that I wanted to enclose in a card I am mailing tomorrow (for a birthday next week--a "hard" card wouldn't get here in time, even with one-day shipment.  In spite of the default setting, I had to select the Rewards card, only to find that before I check out I had to "confirm" the card by providing a complete account number--something I won't have until I receive the physical CC.  So I contact Amazon CS, and without asking or informing me what they were doing, he transfers me to a Chase CSR, who said there was nothing she could do, could not give out the account number over the phone, and it is an Amazon problem.  So I call Amazon AGAIN, and the CSR puts me on hold a couple of times, and the bottom line is they can't do anything, either.  If I understand correctly, if I were ordering something to be shipped to me I could use the card, but not for a print-at-home gift card.

Now, we are talking only a $25 gift card, so clearly I spent more time on this issue than it was worth for the one additional point/dollar I would get, but I get annoyed when things don't work as advertised.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 44 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@LexieCat wrote:

Well, this sucks.  Not that it's a huge deal in terms of lost benefit, but annoying nevertheless.  

When I applied for the Amazon Rewards card yesterday, I received a message that the card could be used immediately, and that Amazon would automatically set it as the default card for purchases at the site.

Today, I went to purchase a print-at-home gift card that I wanted to enclose in a card I am mailing tomorrow (for a birthday next week--a "hard" card wouldn't get here in time, even with one-day shipment.  In spite of the default setting, I had to select the Rewards card, only to find that before I check out I had to "confirm" the card by providing a complete account number--something I won't have until I receive the physical CC.  So I contact Amazon CS, and without asking or informing me what they were doing, he transfers me to a Chase CSR, who said there was nothing she could do, could not give out the account number over the phone, and it is an Amazon problem.  So I call Amazon AGAIN, and the CSR puts me on hold a couple of times, and the bottom line is they can't do anything, either.  If I understand correctly, if I were ordering something to be shipped to me I could use the card, but not for a print-at-home gift card.

Now, we are talking only a $25 gift card, so clearly I spent more time on this issue than it was worth for the one additional point/dollar I would get, but I get annoyed when things don't work as advertised.

Yes, this is probably one of those things where true statements are made but the things don't work together.   It was there and set by default, just as promised!  Unfortunately, a different group has set security policies for first use of all credit cards, so it doesn't work without the physical card.   Yes, annoying, especially as if it hadn't been promised you wouldn't have expected it to work

Message 45 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

For me, using Amzn GCs purchased at supermarkets with the EDP.

Message 46 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Interesting...

Message 47 of 48
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Interesting...

Yep, it's true (just don't make that your only purchase, especially in the thousands).  Just throw a couple cards you know you'll use each trip, and there you go.

Signature needs updating
Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.