cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxed out my Navy card =( and don't feel bad!

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Maxed out my Navy card =( and don't feel bad!

LOL I can't talk this month, I MAXED out my Navy Federal account :smileysad: 

but on the fair side I did it for a good reason, I usually keep my utility at 0-2%

Had 50k in the bank, and house shopping, I was looking for 2006 built homes, but ran across a diamond in the rough, 4 bedroom, 1980 built house, close to the beach, freeway good shopping, nice neighborhood, school districts etc. Anyways Asking price $78,000. 

It honestly doesn't look great from the outside, but the inside is spectacular, open kitchen, vaulted ceilings, and the backyard and the amount of land in a good area of town is MORE than worth it. Offered $75,000 and offer was accepted.

Only problem is it had to be a CASH offer only. Borrowed 10k from parents, and 15k from Navy Federal Convience check :smileyhappy:    Since paperwork takes a few months I'll have the money to pay for anything else soon enough.

(my interest rate is lower than most 2006 mortgages so I don't care much lol! I'll have it paid off in 3months anyways)

Just saying.... using credit cards aren't always a bad thing as long as 

1. you can pay it off quickly

2. have the avaliable credit to help you get great deals

3. have a low enough interest rate to support it Smiley Wink

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Maxed out my Navy card =( and don't feel bad!

little off topic. but are you going to rent out the house, sell it to another buyer or live in it? and congratulations btw.

Message 2 of 14
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

That is an awesome investment. Hopefully one day, I can buy an investment properties with my credit cards Smiley Surprised

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 3 of 14
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

75k for a house??? where are you located lol

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Make sure everything checks out, no liens, back taxes, and a good deed. Consult a real estate attorney.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 14
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Wow congrats to you amazing deal! Glad you snatched that!

Message 6 of 14
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

little off topic. but are you going to rent out the house, sell it to another buyer or live in it? and congratulations btw.

Cause the house has such a big backyard and NO HOA or housing restrictions etc. I plan to make another house in the back to live in, maybe two more lol.

I plan on making one of these, my friend has one I helped build in the past, minimal cost is about $15,000 to build a nice one if you shop around, it's actually a cargo container x 2 modified to be a house. I don't care about huge houses, just like the idea of not having roommates. (bad stories) and I'm a low maintance person.

This appeals to me cause for cheap you can have 100% free living off the grid. Meaning I can use solar power + collecting rain water through light gravel and filter so I don't even need to hook up water. Since I'll have the land I need I won't have to pay anything else. The house I'm buying in my area will get $1,000 a month easily, estimated rent in the area is about $1,400.  If I charge $1,000 I'll be able to get 100% of my money back in about 6-7 years of renting it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUMqYSOlpNg  This is pretty much what I'm planning. the house is nice upfront but ugly on the outside, personally even if the place falls apart as long as it lasts 6-7 years I'll be happy. The property value in my area JUST for the land would normally run 70k, so basically buying the house for 5k =)

The most appealing part is these houses are stronger than anything else on the market right now once the containers are converted. They can withstand 175 mph hurricane force winds more than 10% stronger than the strongest regular built homes, and you can keep the doors etc intact for free hurricane shutters. (I live in Florida)

The houses here are pretty pricey as we're next to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Siesta Key it's got the whitest and softest sand in the world, and the area is 9th in the fastest growing community of 2012.

I'm jumping on it cause the house is supposed to be ATLEAST $150,000 but it has no lien holders, and ready to move in condition. Only thing that kept it from most buyers is they added a 4th room, and they did NOT get the permits to build, so that disqualifies the house for a mortgage. My family fixed our house before by ourselves with the help of our nieghbor who's a professional general contractor, so we know the work was done very well. So that's the least of our worries.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

that looks awesome. my best friend and I wanted to get into real estate investing but it's such a headache, especially for two college students that have no idea what they're doing. Props to you, I'm sure your temporary sacrifice of your Navy Card will be well worth it.

Message 8 of 14
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

The real estate market is good to get into right now because there's quite a bit of land and houses for sale. I have a friend whose dad saved a lot of money and bought some land and apartment buildings in the West LA area (Santa Monica, Westwood, Beverely Hills, when land prices were cheaper) and now they're pretty well off for the most part. It's all about timing, I plan on saving and buying some land as well, but not now, maybe in 6-7 years. Good luck on your house buying though. And 75k isn't to bad for a house either, especially the area in which it is in and how you described it. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 9 of 14
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

that looks awesome. my best friend and I wanted to get into real estate investing but it's such a headache, especially for two college students that have no idea what they're doing. Props to you, I'm sure your temporary sacrifice of your Navy Card will be well worth it.

lol I hope so, but since the yard is so big in a good area of town, imagine the possibilities, I got enough back yard to add atleast 3 more comfortably of a unit like the one pictured above. That means I could potentially make rent from 3 places at once (if I live in one) it's just a fun idea, but we'll have to see how it goes. My friend's parents turned their house into a Tri-plex and doesn't even have to work anymore. Since I personally rather live in Vietnam (not even from there just LOVE the country) If I can get $2,000 in income a month from rentals I could easily retire and live like a King there =)

$2,000 is more than enough to live comfortably since average person there only makes $120 a month. You can eat under $1 a day if you really wanted to. I spent 17 weeks there and I'm not Vietnamese but love the country. Wake up get a glass of amazing coffee (very different) go across the street, 1 hour massage, 1 hour shampoo, breakfast costed me about $7 to start my morning =)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.