Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximizing CL with NO MORE CARDS!

tag
Dbadup
New Contributor

Re: Maximizing CL with NO MORE CARDS!

@jettech wrote:

When you have a 3k limit and you suddenly require 2500 in car repair or your furnace quits, utlization becomes a big deal.  I see this as important to some and not so for others.  Everyones situation is different but I gaurantee I will need that new furnace at the same time that I'll need to app for a car, mortgage or whatever.

If I can have a 10k limit but never need more than 2 or 3k then thats a good thing.  I'd rather have the cushion myself.

Well said... I think some here forget that we all have INDIVIDUAL stories...

NASA 30K|| Citi 10.3K|| Discover 20K|| AmexSPG/Everyday 10k/3.6k|| NordstromV 7.5k|| Bloomies5k|| Barcl.65K|| Cap1 3.25k|| Jcrew 17.65K|| ChaseFree2K|| CSP 5k
Message 11 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dbadup wrote:

@jettech wrote:

When you have a 3k limit and you suddenly require 2500 in car repair or your furnace quits, utlization becomes a big deal.  I see this as important to some and not so for others.  Everyones situation is different but I gaurantee I will need that new furnace at the same time that I'll need to app for a car, mortgage or whatever.

If I can have a 10k limit but never need more than 2 or 3k then thats a good thing.  I'd rather have the cushion myself.

I agree that utilization can be important if we have to app when we have other large unplanned expenses.  But I doubt that that is ALL that common compared to the all the talk about utilization here.  And when is enough enough?  You can get the impression that the answer is "never" for many, which to me suggests it is not actually associated with a real need in mnay cases

Message 12 of 32
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Dbadup wrote:

@jettech wrote:

I don't think anyone is discounting individual anecdotes or stories.  At the end of the day, it's going to be up to the lender to grant any extension of credit (whether a new account or CLI).  But, to bring this back on topic as fas as OP's Capital One CC's, that's a pretty solid fact (regardless of individual experiences) - Capital One will not consolidate accounts.  However, the OP is welcome to CLI if those accounts are elegible.

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dbadup wrote:

@jettech wrote:

I agree that utilization can be important if we have to app when we have other large unplanned expenses.  But I doubt that that is ALL that common compared to the all the talk about utilization here.  And when is enough enough?  You can get the impression that the answer is "never" for many, which to me suggests it is not actually associated with a real need in mnay cases

Sky's the limit.

The question, How low is the sky?

This kinda reminds me of when the Wife (Fiancée at the time of course), Put down the deposit and later full payment on our Wedding Venue.

We had the money in the bank to pay off the majority of it, but had to spread out the total due cost of the Venue over 3 CC's (Our limits were equal to or less than $6,000 on each card at the time)

This is a time where a large CLI would have helped immensely.

Message 14 of 32
Dbadup
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dbadup wrote:

@jettech wrote:

Sky's the limit.

This kinda reminds me of when the Wife (Fiancée at the time of course), Put down the deposit and later full payment on our Wedding Venue.

We had the money in the bank to pay off the majority of it, but had to spread out the total due cost of the Venue over 3 CC's (Our limits were equal to or less than $6,000 on each card at the time)

I agree with what most of what was said... but Longtimelurker spoke about having utilization as low as you'd want it to be...Its not so neat and easy for everyone out here! For some having that extra credit cushion is just a preparation mechanism, for  the what ifs life throws. There are most definately the other end of the spectrum, the credit limit "hoarders" that I think you're speaking of. Regardless each of us here has a different credit needs and story.

NASA 30K|| Citi 10.3K|| Discover 20K|| AmexSPG/Everyday 10k/3.6k|| NordstromV 7.5k|| Bloomies5k|| Barcl.65K|| Cap1 3.25k|| Jcrew 17.65K|| ChaseFree2K|| CSP 5k
Message 15 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dbadup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dbadup wrote:

@jettech wrote:

Sky's the limit.

I agree with what most of what was said... but Longtimelurker spoke about having utilization as low as you'd want it to be...Its not so neat and easy for everyone out here! For some having that extra credit cushion is just a preparation mechanism, for  the what ifs life throws. There are most definately the other end of the spectrum, the credit limit "hoarders" that I think you're speaking of. Regardless each of us here has a different credit needs and story.

Right, but I still think that the situation where utilization if forced high (because of a high expense) happening at the same time as you HAVE to app is relatively rare.   IMO, people are overly concerned with utilization because they are overly concerned with score.  If you have to stay at 90% utilization for a few months, that really isn't the end of the world.  Yes, there are times when it is a consideration, such as if you have to app, but I would maintain not nearly as much as it appears to be from here.  Much like worrying about FRs probably shouldn't take up too much time, even though from time to time someone will indeed have one.

Message 16 of 32
Dbadup
New Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dbadup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dbadup wrote:

@jettech wrote:

Sky's the limit.

Right, but I still think that the situation where utilization if forced high (because of a high expense) happening at the same time as you HAVE to app is relatively rare.   IMO, people are overly concerned with utilization because they are overly concerned with score.  If you have to stay at 90% utilization for a few months, that really isn't the end of the world.  Yes, there are times when it is a consideration, such as if you have to app, but I would maintain not nearly as much as it appears to be from here.  Much like worrying about FRs probably shouldn't take up too much time, even though from time to time someone will indeed have one.

Now the preoccupation with FRs here comes very close to fanaticism! lol 

Message 17 of 32
Mm587
Regular Contributor

Thanks for everyone's input.  It was an interesting discussion of utilization.  I think, if I am honest, I have become somewhat addicted to trying to increase my limits for no apparent reason.  I went most of my adult life without cc at all, and now between me and my DW we have over 40k of limit at about 8 per cent utilization.  I am guessing i need to relax and find another way to spend my time.  It became such a challenge going from 530 to a 710 ish that sometimes i feel that unless i am getting more cards or bigger lines, i am not moving forward.  I know that is rediculous.  I think I need to find another constructive outlet for my financial well being.... thanks all~

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mm587 wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input.  It was an interesting discussion of utilization.  I think, if I am honest, I have become somewhat addicted to trying to increase my limits for no apparent reason.  I went most of my adult life without cc at all, and now between me and my DW we have over 40k of limit at about 8 per cent utilization.  I am guessing i need to relax and find another way to spend my time.  It became such a challenge going from 530 to a 710 ish that sometimes i feel that unless i am getting more cards or bigger lines, i am not moving forward.  I know that is rediculous.  I think I need to find another constructive outlet for my financial well being.... thanks all~

It's not ridiculous. It's vanity, and it's natural.

Message 19 of 32
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mm587 wrote:

It's not ridiculous. It's vanity, and it's natural.

I think well said on both posts above. I know I have been feeling this way as well in my current rebuild.More cards, higher limits !  In fact its torture here in the Garden but I know its for the best.  For me though I will push for higher CL's until my lenders push back. More so than chase a bunch of cards I dont needl  I also know it wont be terribly long before I have limits that will provide the cushion that everyday working people like myself will ever need.  I agree that the OP touched on what many in here seem to harp quite often.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.