Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximizing CSP Value for Travel

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Maximizing CSP Value for Travel

I've got a decent handle on the Chase Sapphire Preferred travel benefits, but just want to make sure I got this right. Below is what I assume is the best way to get maximum value for travel out of the card, in order from best to worst:

1. Transfer points to an airline partner and book using those points (United tends to be best value among Chase's airline partners).
  2. Book through the UR Mall and receive a 20% discount.
  3. Book any other way (non-UR Mall) and receive no discount, just the standard 2x points.

Does this seem right? Do you get a 20% discount when using your UR points to book through the UR Mall or only when it's a new charge?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Maximizing CSP Value for Travel

I see two advantages to option 2. First off you get to pick the best flights rather than get stuck with something just because of the reward. Second, you will earn miles and credit for the flight if you use UR points, which you won't with award travel.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

I've got a decent handle on the Chase Sapphire Preferred travel benefits, but just want to make sure I got this right. Below is what I assume is the best way to get maximum value for travel out of the card, in order from best to worst:

1. Transfer points to an airline partner and book using those points (United tends to be best value among Chase's airline partners).
  2. Book through the UR Mall and receive a 20% discount.
  3. Book any other way (non-UR Mall) and receive no discount, just the standard 2x points.

Does this seem right? Do you get a 20% discount when using your UR points to book through the UR Mall or only when it's a new charge?

+1.

The first option is by-far the best for most redemption situations, especially if you plan to use it for business or first class. Unless you're looking to book a very short flight (say an hour that will run you ~$100 each way on United in coach), transfer your points into United.

For those extremely short-haul flights, transferring into Southwest is typically a better option. For example SFO-LAX will cost you 20k United Miles, but on Southwest it will be about 10,500. Option #2 will cost you over 16,000 points.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Bribro, know this is off topic. Just noticed the ppd. When did you get it? Grats.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 8
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
Bribro, know this is off topic. Just noticed the ppd. When did you get it? Grats.

Thanks, I've had it for quite a while but was planning to cancel it this month before the AF fee hits. After careful consideration, I've decided to hold onto it for another year due to several upcoming business/pleasure trips.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 5 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Thanks, I've had it for quite a while but was planning to cancel it this month before the AF fee hits. After careful consideration, I've decided to hold onto it for another year due to several upcoming business/pleasure trips.

Are you with CPC/PB?
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Nice to work for Chase Smiley Happy

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 8
bribro
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Are you with CPC/PB?

Nope, but I do work in asset management at J.P. Morgan and have several friends at the PB.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.