Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximizing Cash Back = 90% CL usage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Maximizing Cash Back = 90% CL usage

I understand the argument that any fees associated with paying your mortgage via CC usually outweigh or wash the rewards received on the CC.  I wouldn't ever pay my mortgage for this reason.  I would however pay my mortgage via CC if it was a wash (fees vs rewards) if I were either trying to hit a spend bonus or if I was looking to show extra usage on a card due to an upcoming CLI attempt.  I think those are 2 perfectly valid reasons to use a CC to pay a mortgage.

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Except that you are spending outside your budget. A mortgage payment should be expected to be a cash payment directly from a checking or savings account, with cash on hand, with no extra fees involved. That is ( should be ) your basis for your budget."

(Sorry about the quote formatting, I'm replying via mobile)

This is false... at least in my situation. As I stated in my original post, the CC balance would be paid as soon as the CC company cleared it. In my experience, for some of my charge transactions there arebusually a few days when a charge is pending for some reason. I have the money, I just wanted an additional opportunity to earn some cash back on a purchase I make on a monthly basis.

Anyway, I hadn't considered the fact that there could be additional fees associated with making a mortgage payment using a CC.

Obviously no one in their right mind would think it would be a good idea to pay (for example...) a 3% transaction fee for 2% cash back.

If i could have simply logged on to my mortgage account, updated the auto billing with my CC # and no transaction fees would be assessed, they I would absolutely pay using a CC.

Unfortunately I can't not set up auto pay directly using a CC. As I previously stated, the process that would allow me to pay using a CC involves far too many steps and time I'm not willing to give.

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to reply and offered helpful feedback.
Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slightly off topic here, but those that have paid their mortgage with a CC in the past, by what means have you done so and are there places that charge a 2% or less fee for the transaction?

Message 23 of 29
digitek
Established Contributor

Thanks for the thread, always wondered if this would ever really work.

There are a few things I've found that a CC can't be used for payment without a fee.

Mortgage
Taxes
Gas/Electric bill (Duke Energy)

Unfortunately, those are some of my largest recurring monthly expenses 😒

Also, GunBroker.com, it is perfectly normal for them to say in the details of the auction that they are going to charge you the CC processing fee. That's the only website I ever see it on regularly, like by default.
Message 24 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@digitek wrote:
Thanks for the thread, always wondered if this would ever really work.

There are a few things I've found that a CC can't be used for payment without a fee.

Mortgage
Taxes
Gas/Electric bill (Duke Energy)

Unfortunately, those are some of my largest recurring monthly expenses 😒

Also, GunBroker.com, it is perfectly normal for them to say in the details of the auction that they are going to charge you the CC processing fee. That's the only website I ever see it on regularly, like by default.

Same with me but for some utilities either don't charge a fee or charge a flat fee, in which case prepaying a few months can be worthwhile

And at times Plastiq has had specials where the fee was less than 2% for a while (if you signed up for some program).   Just have to be careful to check when the special rate ends!

Message 25 of 29
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Slightly off topic here, but those that have paid their mortgage with a CC in the past, by what means have you done so and are there places that charge a 2% or less fee for the transaction?

I've used Plastiq for over a year now. I have it set to autopay my mortgage for the next three or four years. As the LTL says, you have to catch it when they offer special.

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

How often do they offer a special, how do you find out about it and what is the fee percentage when you get in at a better deal?  Also, how long does it last at the more favorable rate?

Message 27 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How often do they offer a special, how do you find out about it and what is the fee percentage when you get in at a better deal?  Also, how long does it last at the more favorable rate?

You can get a (partial) list from https://www.plastiq.com/blog/category/promotions/

But travel/MS sites such as FrequentMiler, pointsguy etc will inform you of active/upcoming promos.

As you can see from the first link, they really vary.   Most recent involves signing up for 6 payments, the first two are free, the rest at a normal rate.  So assuming 2.5%,  you pay to at 0% and 4 at 2.5%, an overall rate of 1.6667% rate allowing you to make a profit on a 2% card (or on points you value at more than 1.6667 cents per point.

But the August 2016 one was more valuable, 1.75% (with an MC) for however long you choose to schedule, which could be years  (taking a slight risk that an overall better promo wouldn't appear.)

Note that you don't necessarily rake in the cash.   If your payment is $5K per month, the 0.25% margin is $12.50 a month (and correspondingly less for smaller mortgages)  And, since you have to pay Plastiq earlier than you would have the mortgage company auto-withdraw, this should be reduced by some amount of lost interest.   Still, for those that get excited over the $25 per quarter with BBR...........

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the link and info.  Again, for me, it's not about the rewards.  For me it's about increasing spend.  I have a a few CLI requests coming up between August and November (certain cards eligible at 6 month marks) and it would be nice to drive some extra spend through those cards prior to the CLI requests.  For me, as long as it constitutes a break even (or slight reward) situation, it's "worth it" to me to consider one of these payment options at least in Q3-Q4 2017.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.