Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximizing UR Points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maximizing UR Points?

Hi guys, I have abour 150k or so in UR points. I am planning a trip (for 2) to Vietnam this fall. How do I go about maximizing these points? I heard that transferring to travel partner is the best use of points, but I checked the Korean Air redemption chart and it looks awful. I should really have applied for the Citi Pristige instead. $800 air ticket redemption (AA) for 50k points sounds like a really good deal. But there is just no way I can get the bonus in time for the trip, and I still have 150k UR points to spend.

Edit: spellings

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Maximizing UR Points?

As far as I've read around, Korean Air is actually considered one of the better "point partners" to convert to for any card, especially to Asia.

What card/airline were you looking at that offers substantially better point value?

Message 2 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I should really have applied for the Citi Pristige instead.

Definitely research redemptions with these rewards programs before applying for anything.  The redemption method(s) that you can use can have a significant impact on rewards value.  Look past the reward earn rates and sign on bonuses.  Do the math for your spend all the way from spending to redeeming to determine the value per point/mile that you can get with any program.  With most of these programs best value is attained by transferring to travel partners for premium international travel so you need to look at the programs for the travel partners and you need to ensure that you can accrue enough miles/points to redeem.  If you don't have the spend (and/or can't leverage sign on bonuses sufficiently) then you should reconsider applying for a given program.

The reason I focus on UR and not MR is because I can attain much better value with UR than I can with MR, for example.  Do you due diligence before -- not after.

@Anonymous wrote:

I heard that transferring to travel partner is the best use of points, but I checked the Korean Air redemption chart and it looks awful.

Korean Air isn't the only UR transfer partner.  Compare the others.  Korean may not be as awful as you're assuming.  It could be that UR (and possibly other programs) just aren't a good fit for you.  Again, it's your responsbility to determine these things before applying.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I should really have applied for the Citi Pristige instead.

Definitely research redemptions with these rewards programs before applying for anything.  The redemption method(s) that you can use can have a significant impact on rewards value.  Look past the reward earn rates and sign on bonuses.  Do the math for your spend all the way from spending to redeeming to determine the value per point/mile that you can get with any program.  With most of these programs best value is attained by transferring to travel partners for premium international travel so you need to look at the programs for the travel partners and you need to ensure that you can accrue enough miles/points to redeem.  If you don't have the spend (and/or can't leverage sign on bonuses sufficiently) then you should reconsider applying for a given program.

The reason I focus on UR and not MR is because I can attain much better value with UR than I can with MR, for example.  Do you due diligence before -- not after.

@Anonymous wrote:

I heard that transferring to travel partner is the best use of points, but I checked the Korean Air redemption chart and it looks awful.

Korean Air isn't the only UR transfer partner.  Compare the others.  Korean may not be as awful as you're assuming.  It could be that UR (and possibly other programs) just aren't a good fit for you.  Again, it's your responsbility to determine these things before applying.

I did all of the research and math before I applied, and again before I asked the question.

My conclusion is that for buying a ticket (any ticket) from ORD to SGN late August,buying directly using point on the lender's website seems to be the better option.

If your math say otherwise, please teach me :-)

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most people don't have the point redemptions memorized, Sooo... Good luck finding out. SW has a point value 1.6 per point. For me chase UR are fantastic and I get $800 per 50k. Do I know other airlines xfer percentage? No clue. If you did the hw as you say why would you apply for a card with a horrible xfer partner? Good luck. Research other airlines that partner with Chase and fly to where you wanna go
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Most people don't have the point redemptions memorized, Sooo... Good luck finding out. SW has a point value 1.6 per point. For me chase UR are fantastic and I get $800 per 50k. Do I know other airlines xfer percentage? No clue. If you did the hw as you say why would you apply for a card with a horrible xfer partner? Good luck. Research other airlines that partner with Chase and fly to where you wanna go

Probably the problem is my destination airports. For this particular trip, all of the transfer options I found are awful in comparison with point valuation I often read here, that's why I am seeking pointer. I applied for the card because, aside for other benefits, I found that 50K UR is a good stack of Benjamin even if redempted as a statement credit.

I'll take 100kUR for two $600 tickets, buying directly from UR site. Good use of the UR reward point for me, better than sitting there waiting for my next big vacation which I don't know when will happen. But if someone has better options, again, I am all ears Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I would also look at one of United airlnes partners for trip to SGN. I recently used 160k UR to fly me and my mom business class on Asiana from JFK to BKK. Whats notable here is if you use one of UAL partners the fuel surcharges are very minimal i think its was around 20 dollars in fuel surcharges for both of us. Its something i would keep in mind. i

Best case scenario is Asiana, ANA, or EVA to SGN, they all have really nice business class seats from what i recall from reading up on those airlines. Now if you want to splurge on first class then Korean Air is your only real option i think, iff you are lucky you may be able to find 260k RT via ANA through United , but i woudn't hold my breath . 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Transfer to Korean Air for economy travel will be pretty pathetic, given you can book a revenue ticket for $650 or so, but redemption costs 85k points.

However, if you book business, a revenue ticket is $4300 or so, while the award ticket costs 150k points, not considering any surcharges.

The second option is the source of great valuations, but may not be feasible for your requirements.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to trade your UR for some of my AA points, lmk. -fellow Vietnamese member
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the insight, guys. These are the kind if information that I am looking for. I'd probably either save some more points or get creative with spending requirement.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.