Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of accounts with Chase

tag
sandman2435
Established Contributor

Re: Maximum number of accounts with Chase

@randeman wrote:

I have three.  I was told by a Chase CSR last year that the most she knows of is ownership of eight cards by one person.

I have 6 cards with chase,Had 7 but I closed one out as I no longer needed it

Message 11 of 29
dilettante
Established Contributor

I had 5 Chase cards. I closed 2 ( Marriott and CSP ) just recently because I wasn't using them. Had opened 4 of the 5 within 3 months last year (3 within a month and a half).

On the fourth, they did ask my banker why I was opening so many cards in a short time when he called and found out that I was approved for the Palladium.

Message 12 of 29
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Good to know there are people with 8 cards -- those must have a very strong relationship with Chase.

I was approved for the Chase Sapphire last week and I plan to app for the CPS in a few months. I actually forgot they can't approve more than 2 applications so I apped for the CPS anyway and got the further review window ... probably it's a denial since they just approved me for the United Club and CS.

Current Cards:
Message 13 of 29
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I have 5 cards with Chase. I think for most people, you will more likely hit their "internal limit" of how much total credit they will offer you before you get to an absolute number of cards. You can see when you start getting to this limit when CL's for subsequently approved cards start getting lower, or when they ask you to move limits around to get approved. 

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 14 of 29
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

I have no idea how Chase determines what limit to give a person for one card .. I applied for the regular Sapphire and was approved for $5000 .. then I applied for the United Mileage Plus and was approved for $8000 ...

When you think about it .. why not just approve me for $13k for the first card! 

Current Cards:
Message 15 of 29
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@altayar wrote:

I have no idea how Chase determines what limit to give a person for one card .. I applied for the regular Sapphire and was approved for $5000 .. then I applied for the United Mileage Plus and was approved for $8000 ...

When you think about it .. why not just approve me for $13k for the first card! 

They must have some internal algorithms or formulas that they use. Maybe CL they give differ from their own cards and co-branded cards. Who knows :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 29
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Slatealtayar wrote:

How many cards do you have with Chase? Do they complain when you open multiple accounts with them?

Personally I have several: Amazon Visa, BP, Slate, Freedom MC, Freedom Visa, CSP

My Sole Proprietor Biz has the Amazon Visa, Freedom, Ink (old), Ink Plus

My LLC has only one: Ink Plus.

I wasn't asked on the CSP approval, but on the Ink Plus cards I was asked why I needed them. I had to explain that the LLC expenses should be separate, and with the Sole Proprietor cards, I have old versions that aren't offered anymore, that these older accounts keep my biz checking free, and that I wanted the new rewards structure.

I have had these cards over several years with only the Ink Plus and CSP cards obtained this year; everything else was opened up 2008 or earlier, back to 1998.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 17 of 29
TeeGee
Contributor

I was recently approved for the Southwest Rapid Rewards card with a ridiculous CL of $16K.  I wouldn't even THINK of asking them for the Freedom card!!   I mean, at some point, enough is enough, right?  

I have no interest in store cards with their APR's anymore, and am only using cards with zero intro rates or good rates.  My Southwest card is 14.99% I think so I got the points for travel (real quick too - I needed four tires, rotors and brakes all at once Smiley Sad ) and am transferring that balance to zero % cards while the 'gettin' is good.

Just curious about the reasoning for having a huge abundance of credit cards.  My next goal is a mortgage.  I could buy a car, but I have a super reliable nice 05 Accord with 65K miles so although I get a little jealous of all the bells and whistles on new cars; I'll stick with my paid off one!

Just wondering about why folks want 4 or 5 cards with the same lender (I have 2 w/CapitalOne simply because they bought out Household).  I guess there is a reason?

Amex $6K BankofAmer $2K CapPlatinum $2.5K Macys $1K Chase RR $16K CapQS $2.5K Discover $8.5K IN THE GARDEN til 6/1/2015
Beginning FICO 630 ish EQ 732/EXP 735/TU 753 (Aug) Goal 800
Message 18 of 29
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

I guess every one has a different story. It could be the wrong choice of cards .. like when you apply for a card and realize later it's not giving you the rewards you want or it's not getting enough use.

For me I have the Chase Amazon that I applied for two years ago - at that time it was impossible for me to get approved for the Sapphire. 

Current Cards:
Message 19 of 29
TeeGee
Contributor

After some thought, I think the reason I got the high CL with Chase is because I bank with them and have a savings account that ONCE had 40K in it from a lawsuit settlement. That was before I paid off the IRS and got that monster off my back.

Otherwise, I probably would not have gotten that limit.  They could even reduce it whence they find out the error of their ways....that I am NOT rich, just trying to pay my cards and slowly save.....

Amex $6K BankofAmer $2K CapPlatinum $2.5K Macys $1K Chase RR $16K CapQS $2.5K Discover $8.5K IN THE GARDEN til 6/1/2015
Beginning FICO 630 ish EQ 732/EXP 735/TU 753 (Aug) Goal 800
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.