Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxing Card Out

tag
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Maxing Card Out

Too much worry here.

The only thing that would raise eyebrows is if you left your CLs maxed out monthly and only paid minimum balances.

Message 11 of 22
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

I let my AAviator report at 100% - my TU dropped 21 points (but some of those I'm sure was because of new account)

Paid it off the next day, no AAs reported. 

As others have said, it's really not that big of a deal! 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 12 of 22
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

Use your limit to the fullest if you PIF.

On my Barclaycard I usually put at least twice the limit through it each month and never carried a balance, it's always paid down to zero when the statement cuts, but I run it to 90-95% of it's limit. I got an auto CLI at 5 months.

Message 13 of 22
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

Remember - CCC's are in the business of making money -

Thus, if you have a high utilization for a few months, as long as your making more than the minimum payment, you're just fine. After all, they want interest, fees, etc.

Keep it toooo long, and then it may raise a few questions.

No stress. Smiley Happy

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

let's just put it this way: i got the freedom 11/2011 and it was maxed for 3 years straight with the excretion of maybe 3 months. and when i say maxed, i mean like $5-$60 was available lol. no AA or anything. but chase now hates me obviously lol
Message 15 of 22
onstar
Established Contributor

It really depends on your payment history with the bank. My fiancee has 6 cards, and 5 of them are maxed out still (the 1 that is not maxed is because I just paid it off last month, and yes, it was also maxed). Total balance across the 5 remaining cards is close to $15K. Last month, I pulled her 3 CRs (annual free ones), and I see that all the cards had been maxed since at least 01/2012, and she had been only paying the minimum every month (YES, PLEASE *SIGH* WITH ME HERE).

All of her cards were opened in 2008 or earlier. And she has a 100% payment record. And none of the banks seem to care. No FR or AA in any of her cards. The 5 banks are Amex, BofA, Chase, Citi, WF, so all major banks.

I have a similar story from about 10 years ago. Around $10K balance where I only paid the minimum for like 4 years. So I have to be understanding towards her, especially because she is exactly 10 years younger than me (YES, I WILL ACCEPT YOUR APPLAUSE HERE). And I didn't have a single AA either.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

why applause? lol. most women like men a little older for the maturity factor.

but i do know that with WF even if your payment history is perfect if it stays maxed out and you make a hefty payment on it (a grand or more) they CAN lower your limit to the amount you paid. they did that to a girl that worked there when i worked there lol. she had either a $3k or $5k limit (idr) and she paid it down to $1k after it was maxed for years and they dropped her to a $1k limit
Message 17 of 22
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
why applause? lol. most women like men a little older for the maturity factor.

but i do know that with WF even if your payment history is perfect if it stays maxed out and you make a hefty payment on it (a grand or more) they CAN lower your limit to the amount you paid. they did that to a girl that worked there when i worked there lol. she had either a $3k or $5k limit (idr) and she paid it down to $1k after it was maxed for years and they dropped her to a $1k limit

To be fair to WF, all banks can and have balance chased.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 18 of 22
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I've had my WF card for about 2.5 years, and for most of its young life I had it nearly maxed, maxed, and even at one point over limit. But I always always always paid on time and especially that one time I went over limit I immediately made a payment to come back to my limit. This was all due to unforeseen expenses and they added up quickly, not because of me being irresponsible and impulse buying. Lol. But anyway, in all this time, I've actually been getting CLIs, and now I've managed to bring down my balance to around 30%. And I plan to pay that down within the next couple of months.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

LT_L, i know all can, but i was just speaking of WF from experience of what i have seen and they mentioned having a maxed WF..
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.