Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxing a card out question

tag
odbbza
New Visitor

Maxing a card out question

So I've been on google and the forums looking for an answer and I can't seem to find the exact one I'm looking for... 

So here is the scenario:

I pay bill a,b, and c on CC #1 on the 1st of the month, on the 3rd of the month I pay CC in full. Bill a,b, and c = 95% of CC #1's limit. Is this a bad thing (negatively affect my score due to at one point during the billing cycle the card was maxed out)? 

I will never roll it over to the next month and this is basically to utilitze rewards and activity on the card. I'm new to the whole credit industry and just looking for a little guidance.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Maxing a card out question

@odbbza wrote:

So I've been on google and the forums looking for an answer and I can't seem to find the exact one I'm looking for... 

So here is the scenario:

I pay bill a,b, and c on CC #1 on the 1st of the month, on the 3rd of the month I pay CC in full. Bill a,b, and c = 95% of CC #1's limit. Is this a bad thing? 

I will never roll it over to the next month and this is basically to utilitze rewards and activity on the card. I'm new to the whole credit industry and just looking for a little guidance.

A card that is maxed out is always a bad thing! You need to pay it down as quick as you can! It really hurts your credit score a lot 

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 14
odbbza
New Visitor

That's my point, is that it stays maxed for a day or two and never should be reported as maxed out at the end of the month or when the billing cycle ends. 

Message 3 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

A lot of the answer depends on whether the 95% balance reports to the credit bureaus before you pay it.

Also, you might not wish to do this with a new CC.

Message 4 of 14
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@odbbza wrote:

That's my point, is that it stays maxed for a day or two and never should be reported as maxed out at the end of the month or when the billing cycle ends. 

As long as you pay it down before it reports! Then no it's not bad. Just don't let it report

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 14
odbbza
New Visitor

Ok I appreciate the quick responses... I'm trying to set up a auto pay of a new CC actually and I'm deciding what bills I want the CC to pay for (then pay the CC off right away).

edit: Do I just ask the company when they report or how will I find that out?

Message 6 of 14
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@odbbza wrote:

Ok I appreciate the quick responses... I'm trying to set up a auto pay of a new CC actually and I'm deciding what bills I want the CC to pay for (then pay the CC off right away).

Most report right after the statements cut! It shows on reports a few days later

Message 7 of 14
odbbza
New Visitor

thank you wade

Message 8 of 14
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@odbbza wrote:

thank you wade

Your welcome! That's why we are on the forums for to help each other Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

@odbbza wrote:

Most report right after the statements cut! It shows on reports a few days later

Note the "Most".  US Bank reports at the end of the month, regardless of statement date.   I don't know other exceptions but tell us what the card is in case others know.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.