Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxing my Credit Score?

tag
Marths
Contributor

Re: Maxing my Credit Score?

I'm not sure if they ask for proof of enrollment for the Journey card. I got it so long ago, and I don't remember. I hear they generally accept people with little-no credit for the Quiksilver cards. In my opinion, taking a shot at your own card is better than becoming an AU on someone elses card. 

265k FHA Home Loan @ 2.65%
19k Cap1 Auto Loan @ 2.65%

March 2019 - CK(TU-609, EQ-632),EX-590
May 2020 - CK (TU-673, EQ-666), EX-651
January 2022 - CK(TU-727, EQ-726),EX-704
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marths wrote:

I'm not sure if they ask for proof of enrollment for the Journey card. I got it so long ago, and I don't remember. I hear they generally accept people with little-no credit for the Quiksilver cards. In my opinion, taking a shot at your own card is better than becoming an AU on someone elses card. 

I was denied for the QuickSilverOne a week ago, and they even denied me for a Capital One secured card back in December. Maybe Capital One just hates me?

Message 12 of 25
Marths
Contributor

Lol, no they don't hate you. I guess you just come off as a risk to them. Have you tried pulling up your credit report to see if one was possibly generated from something else? It doesn't really make sense why they would deny you for a secured card at that... 

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marths wrote:

Lol, no they don't hate you. I guess you just come off as a risk to them. Have you tried pulling up your credit report to see if one was possibly generated from something else? It doesn't really make sense why they would deny you for a secured card at that... 

My Credit History only goes back 3 months when I was approved for a Kohls Charge Card. It takes 6 months to generate a real score right? 

Message 14 of 25
Marths
Contributor

That is correct. Unless something else possibly generated one. Although highly unlikely, still possible. It just doesn't make much sense why they wouldn't approve you for a secured card. 

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marths wrote:

That is correct. Unless something else possibly generated one. Although highly unlikely, still possible. It just doesn't make much sense why they wouldn't approve you for a secured card. 

Yeah I don't know. I'm happy that I was approved for the Discover IT secured though, it'll be nice when it graduates in about 11 more months.

Message 16 of 25
Marths
Contributor

As far as I know Discover has free FICO tracking. So I guess if that were the case it would have shown you it. So I guess you just have bad luck. Smiley Indifferent

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marths wrote:

As far as I know Discover has free FICO tracking. So I guess if that were the case it would have shown you it. So I guess you just have bad luck. Smiley Indifferent

Correct. This is what Discover says.

We don’t have a FICO® Credit Score for you.

Thanks for your interest in learning your FICO® Credit Score. Reasons why you may not see your FICO® Credit Score include: if you opt out; if you have key information that is mismatched or missing, as one example, an address change that has not been updated with Discover or TransUnion; if your credit history is too new; if your account status is abandoned, bankrupt, fraud, lost or stolen, closed, revoked, or charged off; or if you have a foreign address.

Message 18 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A little background, i'm 20 years old with 2 credit cards at the moment I have a Kohls Charge with a 300$ Limit, and a secured Discover IT with a 200$ limit. I only have 3 months worth of credit history, so this question is for when I hit the 6 month mark and generate an actual FICO.

Should I add myself as an authorized user on one of my moms Capital One cards? she just got approved for it a few days ago and the limit is low, but i'm just looking for the biggest boost in my score possible in the next 3 months so I can maybe qualify for a card or 2 that I really want in june. Would adding a 3rd card to my credit report take my score down in the interim but benifit me in a few months? 

OP, congratulations on getting started with your first cards.

I would suggest not worrying about adding AU, or even the utilization on your Discover $200 limit card.

Your CK scores are not reliable, they are FAKO. You said yourself you don't yet have a FICO, so you probably know this already Smiley Happy

If you can't get a secured CapOne (not clear from the earlier posts), no worries. If you can get a secured CapOne, do that now. Another option to consider is opening an account at PenFed, and getting their secured VISA card. I have one of those, got it because they denied me a regular CC, so building a payment history with them.

My experience with Discover is, they want you to use their card heavily, they like you to be using their card first, and they don't care if you charge up to $190 on this card, as long as you are paying in full. I say this because I've got a $5k limit, and have pushed that limit on this and a prior Discover card 3 separate times over the last few years, over 90% utilization with BT each time and large payments on that, and they keep coming back with more offers, including cash back for purchases, to get me to use the card.

Do not worry at all about the percentage utilzation on this $200 Discover card. Charge it to $190, pay it off, if it reports $190, do not worry at all. You are building a file. Your utilization will be sky high, but you won't really be hurt by that as long as you pay on time. Each month of good payment history will be gaining points in FICO so fast the utilization isn't going to be an issue. And every underwriter who looks at your file is going to realize $200 is nothing, that you can't avoid high utilization. No one is going to care that you are at $190 on a $200 limit, and after a few months, when it comes time to app for another card, after you've been using this Discover card for 7 or 8 months, app for another Discover, and you will probably find they respond with a higher limit card, with decent rewards categories like the Discover it.

And I don't know how firm that June target should be for the next app. See what your scores develop as, then decide. I really do think you will have good luck with Discover after a few more months.

Also, carefully review what the actual rewards payback amounts are, when applied to your actual spend categories. You may find that the annual amount, the annual difference in amount from a baseline 1%, is not all that great, not worth much of the effort we all spend trying to find the ideal rewards profile. When you look at a 2% card, for example, you have to consider that it's only a marginal 1%, since you can get 1% from any card anyhow.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Cap One secured card in december, they denied me with a lack of credit history. Every Card i've applied for has said that, besides Kohls. I really don't have the spare cash to get another secured card with a better limit at the moment.

Do you mean in 7-8 months re-apply for the Discover IT? Discover says that in 12 months this card will graduate. 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.