cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxing out Credit Card then Paying in Full?

tag
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Re: Maxing out Credit Card then Paying in Full?

@ Killer-Queen there's the problem right there. You are using the old fashion system putting the bill in the mail using a money order. You risk a late payment if the bill doesn't get there on time. I guess this is a case to each it's own.
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 31 of 60
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

+1 @ FinStar
The only card I have to do this is Discover. I have to send in payment if I hit the 2K mark and do so for pending payments at the same time. Would I wait until I could pay from the side of Discover I would not be able to use the card for days...like this I can continue to use the card without interruption. My CL is often maxed out due to the limit and by pushing the payments from the bank side I can use Discover almost the same way as my other cards even with the lower limit. I think,I have run up to 5K in one given month. Needs a bit planing with lower limits but it can be done Smiley Happy
Message 32 of 60
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@Uppingmyscore wrote:
@ Killer-Queen there's the problem right there. You are using the old fashion system putting the bill in the mail using a money order. You risk a late payment if the bill doesn't get there on time. I guess this is a case to each it's own.

Not really. I mail my bills out like 2 sometimes 3 weeks (sometimes a week and a half)  before it's actually due (I get money orders once the bill is posted online). I've done this for a year.

Message 33 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

Not really. I mail my bills out like 2 sometimes 3 weeks (sometimes a week and a half)  before it's actually due (I get money orders once the bill is posted online). I've done this for a year.

Killer_queen if that's what works for you by all means continue that process.

Sounds go to me Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 34 of 60
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

I wasn't trying to insult anyone, I was confused and a bit baffled lol. Yeah it works really well.. it's easier for me to keep track of my bills that way. My mom is the one who taught me about money orders. 

Message 35 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

I wasn't trying to insult anyone, I was confused and a bit baffled lol. Yeah it works really well.. it's easier for me to keep track of my bills that way. My mom is the one who taught me about money orders. 

Oh we know I don't think anyone took insult at all. We are here to help at all times 

We just wanted you to know there are other ways of paying should you need them.

In fact years ago to many to mention so don't ask ROFLOL

My mom also taught me that way of getting my bills paid so I completely understand the process

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 36 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

Well, as the nice people here say, each to their own method.   But since I don't fall into that category, here is where I think this is less than optimal:

1) By not using electronic methods, you are losing float, one of the advantages of credit cards.  You are purchasing the money order way in advance, making that money disappear from your account, and it is not getting credited until it arrives and is processed by the credit card company

2) Is there a fee associated with buying the money order?  Probably small, but still a cost

3) Do you pay postage when sending the order, and use an envelope etc?  Another cost.

4) What happens if the money order is lost?  Do you tell the credit card company that it was sent without any issue?  Without an electronic record you are losing some proof.

And if you did want to optimize the score, paying before the statement cuts (which I hope you now understand is both possible and something some people want to do), you have much less time to do it, risking either more charges being on the card, or having to stop using the card for longer.

Message 37 of 60
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

Well, as the nice people here say, each to their own method.   But since I don't fall into that category, here is where I think this is less than optimal:

1) By not using electronic methods, you are losing float, one of the advantages of credit cards.  You are purchasing the money order way in advance, making that money disappear from your account, and it is not getting credited until it arrives and is processed by the credit card company

2) Is there a fee associated with buying the money order?  Probably small, but still a cost

3) Do you pay postage when sending the order, and use an envelope etc?  Another cost.

4) What happens if the money order is lost?  Do you tell the credit card company that it was sent without any issue?  Without an electronic record you are losing some proof.

And if you did want to optimize the score, paying before the statement cuts (which I hope you now understand is both possible and something some people want to do), you have much less time to do it, risking either more charges being on the card, or having to stop using the card for longer.

1. I don't see anything wrong with how I pay my credit card bills. It works for me, right? Then thats all that should matter. It takes a few days to almost a week for the money order to actually get to it's location that it needs to go to.

2. Yes because I can afford a $1 something for a money order.

3. No. I buy a book of stamps every few months. I never buy single stamps at the post office.

4. I keep receipts all the time. My address is also on the envelope and I've never had issues with lost money orders. 

Message 38 of 60
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

To keep this on track; to each their own when it comes to payment; however, KQ, your payment method is pretty unique honestly in this day and age on this forum at any rate.

Nobody is saying it is outright wrong, it is legitimate curiosity as the time and cost involved with money orders vs. electronic transfers is non-trivially higher in addition to the ability to schedule a payment more precisely and not having to wait for a bill to arrive.  Auto-pay is another non-trivial benefit, takes a lot of the risk out of the process as humans do make mistakes both in the postal office, and on the receiving end at times to say nothing of people such as myself which occasionally have made origination mistakes too.

This being an Internet forum, every user here has access to the net, and I would suggest this is actually one of the stronger consumer benefits of the net: financial tracking and payments have become substantially easier than the traditional stuffing envelopes with checks from the prior century.  That's why the questions have persisted, not because you're doing anything wrong, just that this is one area where technology is applied appropriately and virtually everyone here takes it for granted as part of modern society.

It's worth investigating and seeing if it works for you as well in my opinion. 

        
Message 39 of 60
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

I have two different accounts with my bank so that is one reason why I don't pay via debit card. Also, I pay my phone bill with my debit card and that's all I'll pay with my debit card. 

Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.