cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxing out a card for some cash back.

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Maxing out a card for some cash back.

@WNA888 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@WNA888 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
So I'm having some work done on my vehicle about 5k. I want charge it to 1 of CC for the cash back. Problem is my two highest limits are both 6k, with the current balances it would essentially max it out. I will pay most it off immediately as I have a check form the insurance co. Would this raise a red flag or cause any issues? Would it help to call the CC co (Discover or Amex) first so they are expecting it?

No. Don't call them. It's a waste of time for both parties. They are just going to say okay cool. Thanks for the heads up.  As long as you don't carry that balance for more than 2 months, then it's unlikely AA will be taken against you. AAs are usually taken automatically by a computer system without human intervention. Chase and AMEX arent going to each account one by one and say hmmmmmm, this guy, almsot maxing out his limit, let's give him a CLD or other AA

I wouldn't worry about the AA, I worry about the charge being declined!

Chase has a "Spend notification" and they seemed to like me calling... I learned years and years ago Amex does not want you to call them and they don't care.

Capital one my partners was recently shut off and locked until he called because of a large request.

each lender is different.

but aa is not my concern

You aren't going to get declined. It's not a charge card. It's a credit card and underwriting said you were good enough for the $XXX CL. You can use up to that amount freely (unnless the fraud detection system kicks in and flag it as fraud)

some of the banks security systems are very sensitive and will decline or want a merchant to call and some merchants don't call... i have been declined at register by chase and citi and navy!

Message 11 of 13
WNA888
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@WNA888 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@WNA888 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
So I'm having some work done on my vehicle about 5k. I want charge it to 1 of CC for the cash back. Problem is my two highest limits are both 6k, with the current balances it would essentially max it out. I will pay most it off immediately as I have a check form the insurance co. Would this raise a red flag or cause any issues? Would it help to call the CC co (Discover or Amex) first so they are expecting it?

No. Don't call them. It's a waste of time for both parties. They are just going to say okay cool. Thanks for the heads up.  As long as you don't carry that balance for more than 2 months, then it's unlikely AA will be taken against you. AAs are usually taken automatically by a computer system without human intervention. Chase and AMEX arent going to each account one by one and say hmmmmmm, this guy, almsot maxing out his limit, let's give him a CLD or other AA

Chase has a "Spend notification" and they seemed to like me calling... I learned years and years ago Amex does not want you to call them and they don't care.

Capital one my partners was recently shut off and locked until he called because of a large request.

but aa is not my concern

You aren't going to get declined. It's not a charge card. It's a credit card and underwriting said you were good enough for the $XXX CL. You can use up to that amount freely (unnless the fraud detection system kicks in and flag it as fraud)

some of the banks security systems are very sensitive and will decline or want a merchant to call and some merchants don't call... i have been declined at register by chase and citi and navy!

You aren't going to get declined. It's not a charge card. It's a credit card and underwriting said you were good enough for the $XXX CL. You can use up to that amount freely (unless the fraud detection system kicks in and flag it as fraud)

Read the bold part I wrote. It's to protect themselves to make sure it's not fraud. If fraud is committed in a Card-Present POS transaction, the bank takes the loss if's fraud

Barclaycard TU FICO Score : 826 [1/12/15]
Message 12 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@WNA888 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@WNA888 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@WNA888 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

but aa is not my concern

You aren't going to get declined. It's not a charge card. It's a credit card and underwriting said you were good enough for the $XXX CL. You can use up to that amount freely (unless the fraud detection system kicks in and flag it as fraud)

Read the bold part I wrote. It's to protect themselves to make sure it's not fraud. If fraud is committed in a Card-Present POS transaction, the bank takes the loss if's fraud

sorry yes, I agree with that

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.