Did you mean: 

May I ask for more? AMEX 61 day CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: May I ask for more? AMEX 61 day CLI

@MontegoMack wrote:

@Anonymous,

So are you saying that I should wait for an auto CLI (time frame threshold?) and then ask for a 3x CLI? How long after the auto CLI should I ask? I thought it'd have to be 180 days. I guess I'm asking for time lines...if you could. 

Do you want a CLI because your account is eligible, to lower your utilization, or do you need to use it? I think these answers should be incorporated into your decision. Idk how often Amex issues auto CLIs. Hopefully someone can offer you a time frame. 

Best of luck to you!

Message 21 of 35
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

@Anonymous,

So are you saying that I should wait for an auto CLI (time frame threshold?) and then ask for a 3x CLI? How long after the auto CLI should I ask? I thought it'd have to be 180 days. I guess I'm asking for time lines...if you could. 

Beause it is my friend's card, i am not exactly sure on the intervals of her auto cli's. But i assume she did get at least 2 in one year. Last night's cli was the first one we ever asked for, so she never got a self initiated cli. All 2 or 3 were auto cli's. The reason i thought it may be a better idea to wait a little for an auto cli first is, my friend got her last cli last month, so the wait time between clis is 6 months, but the auto cli's do not reset the clock. So you may get an auto cli next week, and then ask for a cli yourself a week later. It is hard to give an exact time frame on an auto cli, but i would assume you should get one probably within 3 months to 6 months, provided that you do not have any negative changes in your report such as a collection or high uti. Once you get an auto cli, i would give it a few weeks, lower the balance, and ask for 3 times cli.

So to wrap it up

When you ask for a cli yourself, the wait time for the next request is:

180 (or 181) days after an approved cli

91 days after a denied cli.

Even if they don't grant you the full 3x cli, but make a counter offer and you except it, that is still a cli which starts a 181 day waiting period.

While waiting for the time period, if you get an auto cli, it does not reset the clock, so you can still ask for another cli when the waiting period ends.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KSK1912 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone actually ever reported receiving > 3X CLI from Amex?

it is very common, as i wrote earlier, i just got a cli for a friend of mine last and she went from $7400 or so, to $20K instantly. I could have shoot for exactly the 3 times and probably have gotten it but i did not want to push her luck Smiley Happy

$7400 to $20k is < 3X CLI, not > 3X CLI.

I'm well aware that many people obtain 3X CLIs on the regular... just wondering how many have reported receiving a CLI in excess of 3X.

Message 23 of 35
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

@Beautiful,

I need the CLI because it'd be easier to use that one card and make that one payment instead of either using two cards or making several payments throughout the month. It would certainly help in lowering my utilization overall, which I would appreciate. 

I'm not eligible yet as I just apped on July 12st. Unfortunately, I'm already ready through 2/3 of my limit and prepared to PIF. I've been using it as my primary card since I got it.

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@KSK1912 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

it is very common, as i wrote earlier, i just got a cli for a friend of mine last and she went from $7400 or so, to $20K instantly. I could have shoot for exactly the 3 times and probably have gotten it but i did not want to push her luck Smiley Happy

$7400 to $20k is < 3X CLI, not > 3X CLI.

I'm well aware that many people obtain 3X CLIs on the regular... just wondering how many have reported receiving a CLI in excess of 3X.

You might receive more feedback if you start a new thread with this (see above) in the title.

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ask for more. 

I requested 3X CLi which I got. Then in like 30 days, they auto increased my limit to more than 3X. 

Really depends on your credit profile. 

What was your SL, 3X CLI limit and limit after the auto increase?

SL: 2k

after 60+ days requested online: $6K

maybe less than 30 days: auto CLI from AMEX to $20k

This is my first Amex card. So maybe they didn't "know" me... And after "knowing" me, decided to be nice. Lol

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MontegoMack wrote:

@Anonymous,

I need the CLI because it'd be easier to use that one card and make that one payment instead of either using two cards or making several payments throughout the month. It would certainly help in lowering my utilization overall, which I would appreciate. 

I'm not eligible yet as I just apped on July 12st. Unfortunately, I'm already ready through 2/3 of my limit and prepared to PIF. I've been using it as my primary card since I got it.

Then it may be in your best interest to request a 3X CLI once your account is eligible. If you are lucky enough to earn some auto love, great! If not you've got a back up plan. Good luck!

Message 27 of 35
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

@TOTORO,

I'm curious about what could be just a minor detail. Did you have a lot of swipes or did you make a few larger purchases?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

SL: 2k

after 60+ days requested online: $6K

maybe less than 30 days: auto CLI from AMEX to $20k

This is my first Amex card. So maybe they didn't "know" me... And after "knowing" me, decided to be nice. Lol

Interesting data point here of someone that received a > 3X CLI... going from $2k ---> $6k ---> $20k.  What I find even more fascinating is that the > 3X CLI from $6k to $20k wasn't initiated by you.  It almost seems like a mistake, but hey, bank error in your favor... don't ask, don't tell!

As the poster above asked, I'd be very curious to hear your spend/swipes on the card if you wouldn't mind sharing if you could break it down for cycle 1, cycle 2, cycle 3 which I believe is all the data you would have from the time you were approved up until the $20k limit was realized.

EDIT:  One more question too.  In the 90 days or so that you went from $2k to $20k, did anything significantly change with your credit profile?  Maybe something like your last major derog falling off, a huge utilization drop, etc. that could have resulted in a much cleaner file and likely a large score jump as well?

Message 29 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KSK1912 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The ask was about GREATER than 3x.  It can happen with auto clis, but I don't know of a case where someone asked and got one

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.