Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May have to contact Discover for 2% from Oct. 6th

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

May have to contact Discover for 2% from Oct. 6th

I bought 2 items online on Oct. 6th to take advantage of the stacked cash back with the 2% for that day and the 5% for online (plus one purchase was through Shop Discover and will have an extra 5%). Before I made these purchases I contacted Discover and was assured that the discount would be given based on the "Transaction Date," which...for me....was Oct. 6th. Only it wasn't....

The "Transaction Date" is determined by when the vendor reports it. One of my "Transaction Dates" came through as Oct. 8th, and the other came in as Oct. 9th. I assume that these dates are when the vendor shipped the item. Neither transaction would have gotten the 2%.

I contacted Discover through the Live Chat. She checked the account and said that she could see I made the purchases Oct. 6th (I assume through pending charges) and would put through "an adjustment" to make sure I get the 2%.

I get SO angry at Discover. This is a whole lot of mickey mousing around to get this extra 1% cash back. It is NOT worth the time, but I did it so that Discover would be accountable for this. I told the chat person that Discover was going to have a whole lot of angry customers when they discovered they didn't get the extra 1%. She said that it is unfortunate that they don't have a way to track it.....

My point? She looked it up for me...so they could be tracking it. They're just not, assuming that most people just assume they got the extra cash back and don't take the time to check.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Re: May have to contact Discover for 2% from Oct. 6th

I'm sure a lot of Discover card holders appreciate you sharing this information so they can check their own accounts. But...

Why are you "so angry" at Discover? They don't control the information posted by the vendor, and it sounds like the situation was simply rectified. Just curious....

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 2 of 18
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Why am I angry? Because this is typical Discover....

They knew this would happen to most people who ordered online that day. Yet, they did nothing to make sure we get our "Double Cashback." Those of us who notice it will have to call in.

Also, they could track this but they don't.

They love to advertise their cashback but then do everything they can to worm out of it. This is no different than when they offered 5% on clothing. Yet, when a large clothing purchase was made at NIKE, it came through as "merchandise," so Discover refused to pay the 5% cashback. Also, many cardholders don't realize that they don't get even their 1% on purchases until they spend $3,000 each year. Nor do many cardholders realize that they don't get cashback at Walmart, Target, etc....stores where many Americans shop.

As cardholders get more educated, however, they will go to valid cashback cards....ones that don't advertise cashback and then not give it.

Message 3 of 18
FrugalRican
Blogger

This makes me very unhappy. I intentionally waited and ordered some stuff online on that day in order to take advantage of that.

They can only fool me once.

Of course I'd be unhappy. Sure they don't control when a vendor reports it, so if they know right ahead that bank scheduling usually indicates that Saturdays might not get settled until Monday/Tuesday... why set the date for this on a Saturday or (hypothetically) a Sunday?

You would have to strategically hope to order something late Friday night and then pray that that company settles their POS' for Saturday in order to get this?

I think not.

I'll see what happens with my purchase. They can only fool me once.

I've only used the Discover as my BT and 5% anyway, so this will further limit my usage if this happens to have the same effect on me as well. My statement hasn't posted yet.

Thanks for the heads up Jazzzy.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 18
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

FrugalRican, I am mostly a 5% category user as well. I just don't trust them.

They should take care of "adjusting" your cashback with a phone call from you...but the sad part is, I still feel as if I have to double check when the time comes for my reward to come through. I won't trust that they really fixed it until I see it.

I put off my online purchases until that day as well.

Message 5 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I used to think highly of Discover. Not anymore, and its not just this kind of thing.

I'll be paying mine off and hitting the SD until 5% real categories come back.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 18
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
I used to think highly of Discover. Not anymore, and its not just this kind of thing.

I'll be paying mine off and hitting the SD until 5% real categories come back.

I'll be SDing my Discover card now too b/c they haven't given me any cash back on any of my purchases. They even failed to generate a statement the first month even tho I had a balance. And I called them. The rep lied to my face and said 'oh your statement was mailed on the 28th'...I've never seen it. It's now the oct 14th.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 7 of 18
FrugalRican
Blogger

SD it is.

Mine did the same thing. I only got the 5% instead of the 7%.

Didn't realize my newest statement was already up and including the purchase from the 6th.

Granted, I wasn't even going to get anything close to 5% with any of my other cards, but now that I know it's working like this, I'll just avoid the 2% promotions altogether and stop spending on it other than any bonus categories that aren't included by Chase.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 18
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Not real happy.  Did all of my online shopping I needed to do for Christmas on Oct. 6.  Got one email from the flowers I ordered that I earned extra but that transacted posted right away.  All of the rest posted one to three days later.  Guess I have to make time to get on the phone with them this week.  The nice thing is...I got every single bit of Christmas shopping done - way early for me!

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 9 of 18
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Woah, woah. How do you guys know you aren't getting the 2% back from October 6th? It can take up to 8 weeks to show up.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.