Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May have to contact Discover for 2% from Oct. 6th

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: May have to contact Discover for 2% from Oct. 6th

Why would my 5% show up immediately but not the 2%?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 11 of 18
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I know because I called them to find out after nothing on my statement indicated that my purchases were made Oct 6th. The dates came through as the 8th and the 9th, and Discover told me that they didn't have a way to track when the purchase was made and that they would "adjust" my account to get the 2%.

Someone above asked me why I was so angry about this. I'm angry because I knew this is how it would happen. Prior to making my Oct 6th online purchases I emailed Discover over exactly this issue....that my "date" would not show as the 6th. They assured me that they would still give me the 2%. Below is their response:

"Thank you for your reply. I will be happy to answer your question about our 2% Cashback Bonus promotion on October 6, 2012 any purchases made on this day will qualify for the 2% Cashback Bonus, even if the purchase post one or two days later."

What this CSR left out in their response is that if the purchase posted with a different date (which they knew it likely would), that then the 2% would not track.

People often praise Discover's customer service. I think that's because they tell you what you want to hear at the time....but then Discover doesn't follow through.

I only use Discover for the 5% categories. I have also made one purchase through Shop Discover for the extra 5%. Other than that I don't take them out of my wallet. If they take advantage of me, I don't have any problem taking advantage of them. Any card that doesn't give you cashback for your first $3k each year, and won't give it to you at Walmart, Target, etc. doesn't deserve daily use.

Message 12 of 18
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I signed up for the 2% cashback for Oct. 6th but did not use it to order anything online. I remember reading this so I figured it would not count.

*Sign up to earn 2% CashBack Bonus on any purchases made on 10/06/12. These purchases do not count towards annual purchases eligible to earn 1% CashBack Bonus. These purchases must post to your account on 10/06/12. We are not responsible for merchant delays in processing transactions. Allow up to 2 billing periods for this reward to be added to your CashBack Bonus account. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details about your rewards program.

I don't think anything would post on a Saturday anyways even if you used it in a store. I'm sure most people would not even notice it......so I would defnitely call in and tell them about it.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 13 of 18
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

I signed up for the 2% cashback for Oct. 6th but did not use it to order anything online. I remember reading this so I figured it would not count.

*Sign up to earn 2% CashBack Bonus on any purchases made on 10/06/12. These purchases do not count towards annual purchases eligible to earn 1% CashBack Bonus. These purchases must post to your account on 10/06/12. We are not responsible for merchant delays in processing transactions. Allow up to 2 billing periods for this reward to be added to your CashBack Bonus account. See CashBack Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details about your rewards program.

I don't think anything would post on a Saturday anyways even if you used it in a store. I'm sure most people would not even notice it......so I would defnitely call in and tell them about it.

It's too bad that Discover didn't tell me that when I emailed them specifically about it. They told me that the post date was not an issue...that it depended upon when the purchase was made and that I would get the 2% if I purchased that day.

Discover lies, and I have the email to prove it.

Message 14 of 18
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@Jazzzy wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

It's too bad that Discover didn't tell me that when I emailed them specifically about it. They told me that the post date was not an issue...that it depended upon when the purchase was made and that I would get the 2% if I purchased that day.

Discover lies, and I have the email to prove it.

I am fairly new to all of this and still trying to understand how the cash back and gas rewards work on my cards. You would think it would be what you purcahsed that day since mostly everywhere holds the money as soon as the transaction goes through. I wish they would make the offers for a 3 day weekend instead of just 1 day and that way we would have a fighting chance for the transaction to post/pend.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

TRe: May have to contact Discover for 2% from Oct. 6th

Thought I would chime in on this conversation with some of my experience:

Made 3 Amazon.com puchases on Oct. 6, only one of them posted on my statement on the 6th, the other 2 were Oct. 8 and 9. I sent a secure message to Discover over the past weekend, received a response early Monday morning, she asked me which transactions I believed were made on the 6th. I copied and pasted the two transactions from my Statement, the CSR followed up quickly with another message saying that when the statement posted, she would go back and ensure that I received CB for those two. Assuming she makes good on her promise, I will be more than happy and have spent less than 5 min of my own time to ensure I got cashback.

OP, while I do agree with you that it would be nice if Discover had a better system for keeping records of when the transaction was made vs. when it was posted in terms of rewarding CB... the nature of online shopping is that everything is so volatile. The merchant can, as others have stated, hold on to the charge until the weekday before posting, have a delay in processing payment, etc... things which are not Discover's fault. It seems like (based only off my own experience), the CSR's are more than willing to work with you if you believe you deserve CB, but imagine how much payroll it would burn to have CSR's go through every Discover cardmembers' statements and manually review for cashback that wasns't rewarded.. not only is that not practical, but also doesn't make sense business wise. Now, if someone reaches out to them to have their CB awarded for a legit purchase and they are REFUSED... then it becomes an issue. Until that happens though, I trust DIscover to make it right for the consumer.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TRe: May have to contact Discover for 2% from Oct. 6th

P.S., all that being said, like you, I only use my Disover card for 5% categories, 2% bonus days, and Shop Discover, and I will continue to do so until they lift the .25% threshhold on purchases up to $3000. Yes, that's partly to punish them for having such a stupid, outdated CB system, but moreso out of common sense when I can easily get 1%-1.6% minimum from other cards in my portfolio for the same purchase Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 18
lithium78
Established Contributor

Re: TRe: May have to contact Discover for 2% from Oct. 6th

@Anonymous wrote:

P.S., all that being said, like you, I only use my Disover card for 5% categories, 2% bonus days, and Shop Discover, and I will continue to do so until they lift the .25% threshhold on purchases up to $3000. Yes, that's partly to punish them for having such a stupid, outdated CB system, but moreso out of common sense when I can easily get 1%-1.6% minimum from other cards in my portfolio for the same purchase Smiley Wink

I do the same thing with my Discover.  It's a good card for special categories, but for everyday shopping my BoA Cash Rewards is superior.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.